Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: If offered through GMPP/GM Accessories, would you purchase the longer stripes?
Yes! I want my stripes to end on the front facia and I will pay more for them. 138 60.53%
No. The current hood length stripes are sufficient. 48 21.05%
I am not getting stripes. It does not matter to me, but I just wanted to answer a poll! :p 42 18.42%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't believe there is this much of an issue over 5 inches of stripe...I'm very sorry, I just don't get it at all.

Yes, I like them less than I like the concept convertible/Bumblebee stripes. No doubt about that. But all this collectible and '69 stripes talk is just silly. Of all the feature about this car...to bother complaining that the stripes aren't identical to the car 40 years ago is just crazy to me. Last I checked it's 2010, NOT 1969, so who cares what style stripe they put on the car!! It's not going to effect anything except the very few buyers who are so infatuated with them that not having their style stripes is enough to walk away from the entire car...that's absolutely ridiculous, to be frank -- the 5thgen Camaro has too much to offer for me to fathom stepping away because of stripes.

I'd attempt ask people to please stop making such a BIG deal about it, because...believe it or not, it ISN'T the end of the world. But if I do...I may be branded as an arrogant elitist working for the 'man' by personally attacking people in order to squelch their opinions, erase their thoughts, and deny their right to life and free will!! ..........As opposed to a guy who is simply fed up with reading so many posts about such a non-issue.....

Quote:
For some unknown reason the link I posted above has stopped working.
Here is one that does: http://flickr.com/photos/krizsa/406003363/
I guess will keep checking it to be sure that is stays working.
Linking through Google usually doesn't work, as things change in the URL code from time to time. I'm confident that flickr link will work so long as the album-'owner' keeps that picture in there.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
Dragoneye,

Good. I am glad you agree on the stripes. Thanks for hearing what I have to say on the topic. Since the 2010 styling is clearly 1969, the official Workbook has a picture of a 1969 -, states that the Camaro people "will seek camaro out" looks to me like the early cars were the styling targets. GM Hit the mark or exceeded it on every count with the exception of the hood only stripes.

Evotion,

Not looking for any bleeding hearts. It is way bigger then that. This roll out and the initial perceptions of this automobile need to be 100% without failing. The future of the Camaro in 2-5 years depends on it.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
70 COPO,

There is a lot we don't know.
We don't know how much it will cost GM to reengineer the stripes and the process of creating and applying them to the car. Maybe the cold hard fact is they want the same stripes you do. But with the market the way it is, maybe it adds too much to the cost of the option? Scott has already said they had knock down drag outs over 20 cents a car... My guess is if GM is truly full of the enthusiasts they appear to be, they want it the way you do. But loosing a couple billion a quarter may make it impractical to change it now.

I must add that I don't think the stripe length will doom this car in 2 - 5 years.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #32
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 COPO View Post
In short I am a dissaffected Z-28 buyer. Many want a Z/28. I did too. I accepted GM's decision not to make a Z-28 and decided to buy an SS instead all to support the new Camaro - but latest issue with the short stripe is a back breaker for me.

I want a ligitimate Chevrolet product offering with true Rally Stripes not hood stripes..

I will not own a car where my peers will laugh at me or be critical of what I own.

I am not that emotionally invested in the car to allow my principals to be set aside but I am emotionally invested enough to fight for the future of the Camaro.
I'm sorry, but this level of hyperbole absolutely begs for just the type of response that you're complaining about. Don't tell people that the quality of an optional $300 stripe package is somehow a dealbreaker and then expect anyone to believe that you ever actually intended to buy this car in the first place. Seriously, you are on a fifth-gen enthusiast's board, not a board for your old timer buddies who obviously turn their noses up at anything built after the Vietnam War.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #33
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Quote:
Evotion,

Not looking for any bleeding hearts. It is way bigger then that. This roll out and the initial perceptions of this automobile need to be 100% without failing. The future of the Camaro in 2-5 years depends on it.
Bigger than what? 5" of striping?

You make it sound like no one is going to buy this car because of the stripes. When in fact, the majority of the people that GM targeted for the new Camaro, couldn't tell you the difference between the three 1st gen model years.

I asked all the questions in the previous thread, as legitimate collector questions. I am not a collector, so therefor I really have no clue what makes or breaks a car. But I can say with some confidence, the people who cancel their car orders, based on which stripes are ordered, are going to be very rare.

Bottom line is to me... if the stripes were offered longer, would I get them? Absolutely.

Are they? No.

Would I ever consider not buying this car for that reason? Absolutely not.

BTW Being as you are a collector, I would really like to pick your brain on a few other subjects related to this car.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
evo, dragon... and others; thanks for summing up the response i was about to type out ;-)
Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #35
70 COPO
Banned

Craig, boleton,

Thanks for encouragement you provide. For the record this thread is a poll that is currently running 2/3's for people wanting longer stripes over people who do not. Craig What makes you think I am old anyway?? Vietnam?? What??

Evotion,

PM me with all your questions! Love the car, HATE the short hood stripes.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
For the record this thread is a poll that is currently running 2/3's for people wanting longer stripes over people who do not.
Very true...but this poll is good for gauging how many people share the feelings that you and I (among others) have expressed: that we like the way the longer stripes look.

If there were not so many polls up and about, I'd encourage you to post another poll, asking if the stripes were an order-canceling deal-breaker...I can't help but believe that that 2/3s vote would dwindle to 5% (if that).
Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #37
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
I'll gladly pay for the longer stripes for 70 COPO if we can quit reading his belly-aching posts about his peers laughing at him because his stripes aren't long enough. I think they're laughing at you for other reasons buddy.

I thought you were cancelling your order anyway.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #38
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
70 COPO, I share your passion for the longer stripes...almost. They're just not a deal breaker for me, as no option would be. But it's your opinion, and mine, as well as many other enthusiasts here, that they should be longer, and there's nothing wrong with voicing that opinion. Just don't expect to change any minds here, you won't. But I believe GM wants us to critique the vehicle - why else would GM employees tune us in - and hopefully, I mean I REALLY hope, the shear numbers will convince them.

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto ordered-10/18/08
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #39
70 COPO
Banned

NVMY68SS

Not cancelled just yet. But it may be really soon now.

Comment on your post above. I am sure you frequent the other areas of this forum opining on all the board member's posts throughout - with comments from drivetrain to bluetooth and everything else and offering to buy things for others? If you are then good for you.

If you are not then obviously you have singled me out so I will add you to the others that approach this particular issue in a personal and negitive way.

It is what it is and it looks like a U-haul to me.

BTW.... I like the long stripes you have on your avatar.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #40
70 COPO
Banned

Rodrunner,

Recieved a reply on stripe issue tonight. Nothing to report as of now.

When and if I hear more I will let you know.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #41
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
I'll gladly pay for the longer stripes for 70 COPO if we can quit reading his belly-aching posts about his peers laughing at him because his stripes aren't long enough. I think they're laughing at you for other reasons buddy.

I thought you were cancelling your order anyway.

BAM....that was you hitting the nail on the head.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #42
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I am so done with this thread..... I mean...
Quote:
I will not own a car where my peers will laugh at me or be critical of what I own.
For real??? That's the statement that just got me on this whole deal....

Do you dress like everyone around you so you will fit in?
Do you watch the same tv shows that everyone else watches so you fit in?
Do you listen to the same music everyone else listens to so you fit in?

Copo, I could honestly care less what others think about my car. I might ask other peoples opinions on this or that, but the final decision is up to me and my personal taste. Why? Because it is MY car. NOT my friends. AND....FRIENDS are people who don't laugh at you for what you drive. If your peers laugh at you, you need to find new peers to be around....seriously. You are not buying this car for them...you are buying it for YOU.

To me, the new Camaro became a dream of mine years ago....I believe, "6 years is a long time..." DOES sum it up for me. A dream of mine....to own a new CAMARO. NOT another CAR. Anyone can just go out there and order a new car and drive away. But, we are talking about something that evokes a passion that is just.....unspeakable. Thousands of people live and breath the Camaro....and drive CROSS COUNTRY to be with hundreds of other enthusiasts just to meet each other who share that same passion. Their cars are different. They "mod" their cars to their tastes and you know what? I don't care HOW they like them.>>> I only care THAT they like them! It is all part of that passion.

To say you won't buy the car because of 5 inches of stripe (TO ME) is ridiculous....completely...and this is getting blown out of proportion. IMO, you should buy it because YOU like it. NOT because of what others like. Why don't you try to lead these people into wanting these stripes instead of following what your 'peers' think.

and one more thing...
Quote:
Answer is to date is that the factory does not want to take the time to align the stripes around the mail slots.
somewhat correct....but I think you need to see the more implied part than just the "time" needed to lay them properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
no -- but it MAY kill us trying to get the fascia stripe on around the air intake on an SS...........

Remember- it has to be exact........

Good example: The 35th LE has a black hood insert -- as I recall, the scrap rate was over 35%.......it had to be exactly in the middle with a perfect border............not easy to do.
In other words, even taking the time to do this perfectly, there still lies the potential for problems in laying the stripes....which lead to that scrap rate...which lead to cost issues (don't forget all the time paid to the workers who 'take their time to lay them properly). Time is money... So, it's a $$$ factor...not a time factor.

More more thing before my opinionated statement is done....

I LOVE THESE STRIPES. I like the other ones....but these??? Man, are they growing on me! I mean...it brings out that mail slot with makes the front end even look that more agressive. Ok...that's just my opinion.

And... I don't mean to come off harsh. But, there's no sympathy here. I said that I hope you get what you want, but not buying the car just because of the stripes is going overboard for me.

Have you thought about getting a Camaro WITHOUT any stripes at all? Or maybe getting the single center stripe w/ dual hockey stripes?
Attached Images

Closed Thread