Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #85
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
But wouldn't that add $$$ do develop a new sunroof? Or in the case of the T-roof...more weight?
Sorry for the curt reply...I'm just kind of shocked how this can be considered a cut corner.

EDIT: I wouldn't consider the sunroof a replacement for a T-roof, either; you can't replace T-tops. They're one-of-a-kind.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #86
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I can't find the picture now but there is one around here somewhere of the bare metal frame of the hard top and there is a metal bar going front to back directly in the middle of the roof. I know it won't compromise rigidity too much to have a sunroof but it will be eliminating this bar which probably has some purpose of stiffening. I kinda like the sunroof and think it looks good on the cavaliers and cobalts at least when fully open and if I get one I will like most other people say only open it to vent with the windows and not fully open it. Also the "Shark fin" antenna is in the swept back position not only for looks but to avoid contact with the glass.

I still can't decide, reverse mohawk or sunroof
I need to base my judgment by seeing it with my own eyes.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #87
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The right way to stop the wind buffeting you dislike is to put a spring loaded wind deflector on the leading edge of the opening that pops up when the roof opens, This is not a pie-in-the-sky idea. It's how they do it. If you look at the pictures, they DID put a deflector on the front edge, so there's no reason to put the roof on top behind the opening.

If anything, the roof up like that probably increases drag and reduces mileage.

So sue me too, 'cause they did something not pleasing.
I am quite aware of the spring loaded wind deflector concept, but that doesn't take away the sound the air going over the opening makes even with the deflector. I was simply suggesting that the air would flow differently over that type of sunroof, and possibly to the benefit the issue of noise.

As for increasing drag (which any kind of sunroof does anyways to a point) you might as well complain about a spoiler increasing drag and reducing milage, the glass isn't but maybe a few inches off the roof, and the wind will already be deflected up by that modern thingamagig you just explained to me as a wind deflector. Those few inches also happen to be the amount the roof would probably need to be raised to accomidate your expensive built inroof sunroof, and I got money that says if they did it that way, you would be complaining about how they altered that instead and made the car different from the concept and ruined it, so on and so forth.

By the way, that sunroof you posted up a few posts back is on a 4 door car, the camaro is a 2 door, to me it seems the roof is significantly shorter than that, making a sunroof such as that 1. a very small opening and 2. very difficult to manufacture without drastically changing the entire roof of the car
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #88
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I had an 03 Tiburon that opened this way too... and it wasn't ever a problem, wasn't extra noisy or anything like that...

However it won't bother me with my Camaro as I am planning to go Convertible!
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #89
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But wouldn't that add $$$ do develop a new sunroof? Or in the case of the T-roof...more weight?
Sorry for the curt reply...I'm just kind of shocked how this can be considered a cut corner.

EDIT: I wouldn't consider the sunroof a replacement for a T-roof, either; you can't replace T-tops. They're one-of-a-kind.
Well, since there's no T-Top option, the only alternative in the same price class is a sunroof. It's the standard suggestion to anyone who complains about the lack of a T-roof on the 5th generation: "you can just get the sunroof instead!"

So, it's not a stretch to consider this to be the alternative option that T-roof people would default to, and it's not quite as cool, but probably acceptable. I know in my mind I had already made peace with the fact I could not get T-tops on the 5th gen and decided I could get over the loss with the sunroof, but I never imagined they would put a "price leader" roof on the car in my wildest dreams. It's depressing that I can't get the T-tops and this is adding insult to injury. That said, I will still probably get the roof option because I can't stand having a "cave" with no light in it, but this means I can never open the thing except in the vent position or maybe at night when it's too dark to see that it's a budget roof design.

By the way, they would have had PLENTY of money to make cool roof options if they hadn't blown the budget with unnecessary cosmetic changes to parts of one model.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #90
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
I had an 03 Tiburon that opened this way too... and it wasn't ever a problem, wasn't extra noisy or anything like that...

However it won't bother me with my Camaro as I am planning to go Convertible!
I'm sure it WORKS great, it only LOOKS stupid.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #91
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
I'm sure it WORKS great, it only LOOKS stupid.

P.S. Note the brand of car that uses this type of roof... not exactly a prestigious make/model.

Remind us why you post here everyday? I'm sure there are many of us that are getting tired of your comments about how stupid/ugly/lame things are that you don't like. You wanted the concept replica and didn't get it - we understand. Please move on...
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #92
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Remind us why you post here everyday? I'm sure there are many of us that are getting tired of your comments about how stupid/ugly/lame things are that you don't like. You wanted the concept replica and didn't get it - we understand. Please move on...
I'm here because I just love pissing off rude and closed minded people.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #93
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Note also that several other GM cars use that exact roof as well. Again GM doesn't make them Webesto does. Honda, Toyota, Ford, Kia, caddy, BMW, Mercedies and others all use the exact same models.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #94
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Note also that several other GM cars use that exact roof as well. Again GM doesn't make them Webesto does. Honda, Toyota, Ford, Kia, caddy, BMW, Mercedies and others all use the exact same models.
Who does the Roof for the H3 or the ones for the Colorado?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm here because I just love pissing off rude and closed minded people.
Who's closed-minded?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #96
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
The last 5 vehicles I have had sunroofs that went into the roof, I hate the type that stick out of the car. I have never had a problem being 6'1" with sunroofs that go into the roof, if the Camaro's sunroof stick out I might not get it, sad because I like sunroofs.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #97
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I've hated this version of the sunroof for awhile now...I have it in my Silverado and it pisses me off because obviously there was plenty of headroom in there for it to go inside.

Our old Tahoe's sunroof slid inside, our current Enclave's roof slides inside.

Sorry, but the "outside" roof just looks cheaper. I understand headroom issues, I really do, but this does seem to look less appealing. I'll probably still get one, but I may be leaning more towards waiting for the convertible now than I was before.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #98
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
The sunroof on my car works this way, never had any problems with it. Its nice in the winter just to let more light in or if you want some light but want the AC on. Or you can open for some fresh air. Only issue with a convertible is you loose the side curtain airbags. That's probably the only concern I have about getting a convertible.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote