Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Need some advice on these vehicles.

I need some advice from every one on here. I have been in Iraq for the past 15 months and have not been in the states to deal with any of the current vehicles on the market. I have ordered the Camaro SS from my dealer, but I don't want to use this car as a daily commuter vehicle going to and from work with being in the army. There is a list of vehicles I have been considering below. If some of you could give me your take on these vehicles so that i might better educate my self on what to focus more of my time dealing with when I get back state side in January. I am looking for reliability, fun in driving, and to keep a professional look at the same time. Plus i will be moving the Kansas in August 2009, so to also cope with the terrain in that area of the states.

Chevrolet Tahoe Z71

GMC Sierra 1500 Denali

Cadillac Escalade EXT

Chevrolet Impala SS

Hummer H2 or H3

Toyota Land Cruser

GMC Yukon Denali

Dodge Charger SRT/8
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
The Impala probably has the least fuel consumption.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd consider the Impala SS out of the ones on the list.

If you want to have lots of money for Camaro-modifying, I would encourage getting a Cobalt XFE or hybrid Tahoe. The Cobalt is a nice 4-banger that doesn't cost very much. The Tahoe has a big body that could be fun to aesthetically improve with rims, a sound system, and billet grill while maintaining high fuel efficiency. If you can afford 2 cars, why not just put a lot of mods on the one that isn't a daily driver?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Black SRT-8

Plus you can pick one up through AAFEEs overseas sales program since you're in Iraq
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
I am looking for reliability, fun in driving, and to keep a professional look at the same time.
Check, Check, and Check -- those all SCREAM Impala to me.

You might check out the Tahoe, too. It rides real nice, but it felt big to me. Depends on what you're looking for (utility or general daily driving). The inside of both of those vehicles are A-class amazing! But I'm recommending an Impala based on personal experiences. I've driven one, my parents have driven one -- and in fact, they'll be buying one to replace their minivan within the next year.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Yea I would also recomend the Impala SS. My dad has one as a company car and it's a lot of fun when u want and a great smooth daily driver when you want it.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
only problem is the 5.3 in the Impala SS is too much for front wheel drive, only thing GM did wrong with it was that front drive system, other then that great car. The tahoe is very nice but unless you just want the different look and the unique features or the Z71 i would probably just get a LT or LTZ with 4x4. But if you do not want to daily drive the Camaro i would just go for something cheaper to daily drive and put the saved money into the Camaro.

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Well, there isn't much terrain to deal with in Kansas......it's relatively FLAT!
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
yes, id also go with the impala
Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
boot879

Drives: 06 AWD Vue/07 4x4 Trailblazer
Thanks for your service. 10 years in the Army... got out in 04 after my time in Iraq... so I understand the kind of time you have on your hands to think of cars and driving them. For me it was motorcycles. I planned, thought of, studied and drooled over every bike I could find. When the internet hit town in late 2003... 10 months into my deployment... I was on it all the time... reading about bikes. lol

I am confused by your "second car" choices. If you don't want to drive the Camaro all the time... why not get something more fuel efficient. If your just wanting to save the Camaro... kinda keep it for the future... how about a base model Camaro?
boot879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
The Kidnapper
Fbodfather's Love Child

Drives: Camaro/ Black suburbans
Black Suburbans lol
The Kidnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kidnapper View Post
Black Suburbans lol

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Impala SS all the way. Driving one of those was some of the most fun I've ever had in an automatic car.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote