Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
So...let's outlaw one more thing?

Unfortunately, some trade-offs are unpleasant, but necessary. Stieger, good post - it's nice to be able to learn about something before discussing it.

People die when they roll over these things?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #58
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Yeah - that was pretty cool research to prove his counter point in the debate - props

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FST2LIV2YNG2DY View Post
stieger always does his homework lol
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #59
formare
The Milano

It's not the flat ones you gotta worry about - it's the curly ones. Or worse the flat ones that are kicked up and onto the cars behind them... Or generally being beside the tire when the tread de-laminates.

All great points and perhaps this is just one of those modern society hiccups that just is. Maybe the highways here are no longer viable to travel on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Unfortunately, some trade-offs are unpleasant, but necessary.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #60
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
10,000 posts is epic - truly congrats.

I think the basis of your point rests in the concept that the the retread lasts as long as a virgin tire. The failed retreads on the side of the highways would prove otherwise.
How do you know they're retreads and not virgin? Tires are made up of different components, the tread is a separate piece of rubber even on a virgin tire.
Quote:
Um, because I and and few dozen other cars are traveling at 90 feet per second in heavy traffic?
.... and following too close for conditions.... see? What do you do when it snows? Hopefully you slow down... but why? Because the likelihood of an incident increases. The same applies to saturated traffic... it ain't rocket science.

You just proved my point.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
It's not the flat ones you gotta worry about - it's the curly ones. Or worse the flat ones that are kicked up and onto the cars behind them... Or generally being beside the tire when the tread de-laminates.
Oh, I know, it's happened to me. I was just lucky enough to have a small shoulder next to me and enough space between me and the truck ahead that I swerved to avoid it.

I guess I'm just struggling to visualize one of these killing a person or crashing a car...

I suppose if a perfect storm arose where the skin was sucked up into your wheel well...but even then...the debris couldn't be enough to stop your tire from spinning...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #62
formare
The Milano

You may well be correct, and yes here in chicago we do slow down in the snow.

What would be the safe recommend distance to avoid a tire tread de-lamination? And would it apply to the sides as well as the bumpers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
How do you know they're retreads and not virgin? Tires are made up of different components, the tread is a separate piece of rubber even on a virgin tire.

.... and following too close for conditions.... see? What do you do when it snows? Hopefully you slow down... but why? Because the likelihood of an incident increases. The same applies to saturated traffic... it ain't rocket science.

You just proved my point.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #63
Mr Twisty

Quote:

Unfortunately, some trade-offs are unpleasant, but necessary. Stieger, good post - it's nice to be able to learn about something before discussing it.

People die when they try to avoid these things at the last second and over correct. I've never seen anyone lose control by driving over a gator... But I've watched more than a few lose control by trying to steer around an obstacle that they could have easily slowed or even stopped for it they didn't have their head up their a$$es following too close or texting their BFF
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #64
formare
The Milano

I don't have to imagine I saw it several years ago in tennessee - a motorcycle hit a tread and it flew into the air and ejected the driver and passenger the tread hit the car behind it in the windshield/hood causing that driver to slam on their breaks, causing the next car to slam into the rear of that car.... Causing the semi truck behind them both to slam into them both and jackknife.

I was a few car lengths behind the motorcycle two lanes over to the left when it crashed and barley avoided running over the driver and passenger as they were spinning and flopping down the highway. Others were not as lucky as me.

My children were in then car and saw most of it.

Quote:
Oh, I know, it's happened to me. I was just lucky enough to have a small shoulder next to me and enough space between me and the truck ahead that I swerved to avoid it.

I guess I'm just struggling to visualize one of these killing a person or crashing a car...

I suppose if a perfect storm arose where the skin was sucked up into your wheel well...but even then...the debris couldn't be enough to stop your tire from spinning...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #65
Mr Twisty

Quote:
You may well be correct, and yes here in chicago we do slow down in the snow.

What would be the safe recommend distance to avoid a tire tread de-lamination? And would it apply to the sides as well as the bumpers?
If you're talking about a blown tire flying thru the air, you might as well bend over and kiss it... but even then, few cause crashes. It's (almost) always a driver over-compensating and losing control.

If it's avoiding an obstacle in the road, drive only as fast as your car can stop, plus 2 seconds.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #66
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Wow, this is a heated discussion so I really should keep my fingers shut. But I after my father worked in the trucking industry (new and used sales) for years and I worked as a grunt at a shoddy retread company, I would really like to see an honest accounting of the impacts of semi re-treads. Probably not gonna happen since the Gov't is hopelessly inept and the unions have a lot of power. Maybe the NTSB or greenies could shed some light. I'm sure retreads have caused some fires (big concern in the SouthWest) and deaths or endangered some species like the long toothed snot bat or something equally trivial. Who knows how dangerous rubber alligators are to our highways.
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I don't have to imagine I saw it several years ago in tennessee - a motorcycle hit a tread and it flew into the air and ejected the driver and passenger the tread hit the car behind it in the windshield/hood causing that driver to slam on their breaks, causing the next car to slam into the rear of that car.... Causing the semi truck behind them both to slam into them both and jackknife.

I was a few car lengths behind the motorcycle two lanes over to the left when it crashed and barley avoided running over the driver and passenger as they were spinning and flopping down the highway. Others were not as lucky as me.

Not a good accident. Ouch.

Nevertheless...Motorcycles are especially adept at maneuvering around objects, and especially vulnerable (which the rider should be aware of)...I would be willing to bet he/she wasn't paying attention if he just hit it.

Also...just thinking out loud...what if it wasn't a tread? The same thing could have happened...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #68
formare
The Milano

I didn't see this as heated if it is - then please accept my apologize. I see it as a good healthy respectable debate that effects most all camaro drivers in some fashion.

Not intended to raise blood pressure or cause some red phone to ring in the union stewards shop or some office in the basement of some obscure government building....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #69
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I didn't see this as heated if it is - then please accept my apologize. I see it as a good healthy respectable debate that effects most all camaro drivers in some fashion.

Not intended to raise blood pressure or cause some red phone to ring in the union stewards shop or some office in the basement of some obscure government building....
To late. I'm actually on the red phone as we speak....might as well tell you to look out for the Suburbans that will be monitoring you for the next month...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #70
Mr Twisty

Quote:

We'll one-at-a-time this... The motorcycle was driving too fast for conditions/experience or they could have avoided hitting it.
The car behind them, following too close.
The car behind them... yep, you guessed it.
Same with the truck.

Nascar isn't real life. They expect to crash and will eventually because they push the limits of driver acuity.

Slow down, give yourself a gap. It's boring but it works.