Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #4999
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Number 3, a lot of words have been written about the LSA not having forged internals. I heard the LSA was tested at WOT for like 5 days straight, non stop. Realistically, is there any REAL concern about not having forged internal parts in this engine and would forged internals really improve the LSA in any way? Thanks.
when people say "not having forged internals", they are really just talking about the pistons, correct?

The crank is forged and the rods are powdered metal......

I'm not sure sure the forged piston vs. Hypereutectic piston issue is so cut and dry. Try a search on hypereutectic pistons, there is a lot to read about them.
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #5000
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Number 3, a lot of words have been written about the LSA not having forged internals. I heard the LSA was tested at WOT for like 5 days straight, non stop. Realistically, is there any REAL concern about not having forged internal parts in this engine and would forged internals really improve the LSA in any way? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
when people say "not having forged internals", they are really just talking about the pistons, correct?

The crank is forged and the rods are powdered metal......

I'm not sure sure the forged piston vs. Hypereutectic piston issue is so cut and dry. Try a search on hypereutectic pistons, there is a lot to read about them.
If you leave it stock, there are zero concerns. Without disclosing the battery of tests that GM does run, yes WOT, Acclerations, Severe loads and temperatures. Yes, the LSA is a very stout engine.

Hypereutectic pistons have some advantages for expansion which helps emissions and also noise levels. It is an engine good enough for the Cadillac that can beat the you know what out of any sedan the Bavarian trio can bring to the dance.

The complaint is that the pistons won't stand up to added boost levels that some folks are planning for. And I would agree that they probably aren't as tough as forged. But I also believe, and this is mostly my opinion, that GM is fairly conservative. But apparently the CTS-V guys are adding boost and getting some nice gains and I haven't heard of any "booms" as a result.

So stock it's as robust as anything you'll find. It just isn't enough to make the modders happy.

And the "proof" if you will is the LS9 in the ZR1 Corvette does have forged pistons with the added 80 more HP.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #5001
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks Number 3. I have NO plans to mod the engine in my ZL1 when it becomes available. I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #5002
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Thanks Number 3. I have NO plans to mod the engine in my ZL1 when it becomes available. I appreciate the quick reply.
May the fourth be with you, OldJedi.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #5003
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And that would mean basically either changing over all LS3 production entirely or finding a nice truck program that could also help out with volume.
I know they are not the biggest sellers but I would love to see another "sport" truck come from GM!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #5004
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I know they are not the biggest sellers but I would love to see another "sport" truck come from GM!
Yep, me too, Shno. Would also like to see a Raptor competitor, but that is the truck version of the Boss and that just seems like a little bit of jealousy on my part :(

How about a few pictures of your truck?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #5005
ShnOmac

Quote:
Yep, me too, Shno. Would also like to see a Raptor competitor, but that is the truck version of the Boss and that just seems like a little bit of jealousy on my part :(

How about a few pictures of your truck?
Raptor competitor..... Yes please

I will have to upload some pics of it then I will share away!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #5006
ShnOmac

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #5007
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Seriously nice!!!!

Has it been lowered? Looks a bit lower than stock.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #5008
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice

I have a question about boosted engine failures in the LS2/3. From what I have seen, the last two pistons are the hot spots. I tend to think that oil starvation from steady state high G turns and heat create the problem -- higher temps in those two cylinders.

It is the reason we have installed the 2.5 quart fluidyne coolers on my LS1, LS2 and LS3 boosted engines. We have flogged them mercilessly without a failure. Adding three quarts of oil helps with the starvation issue and serves as a second radiator. If we can control the heat, the internals are great as is from the factory.

The LSA is an even better engine internally. Rumor has it that GM has stepped up an already vigorous track testing program. I am quite confident the LSA will do just fine in our Pedderised ZL1.

Here is my question. Is there any reason I should change my thinking?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #5009
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Seriously nice!!!!

Has it been lowered? Looks a bit lower than stock.
I'm not too familiar with them, but weren't the SS Silverados dropped real low like that? Maybe I've just only seen modified trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

I have a question about boosted engine failures in the LS2/3. From what I have seen, the last two pistons are the hot spots. I tend to think that oil starvation from steady state high G turns and heat create the problem -- higher temps in those two cylinders.

It is the reason we have installed the 2.5 quart fluidyne coolers on my LS1, LS2 and LS3 boosted engines. We have flogged them mercilessly without a failure. Adding three quarts of oil helps with the starvation issue and serves as a second radiator. If we can control the heat, the internals are great as is from the factory.

The LSA is an even better engine internally. Rumor has it that GM has stepped up an already vigorous track testing program. I am quite confident the LSA will do just fine in our Pedderised ZL1.

Here is my question. Is there any reason I should change my thinking?
lolwhut?

(I just like writing that...hehehehe)
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #5010
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
For those concerned about the ultimate capabilities of their LS3 or L99 engines, Hot Rod Magazine in their current June/2011 issue has a great article outlining the "weaknesses" of engine/transmission/driveline components. For each component mentioned in the article, there is a "theoretical maximum", beyond which suggested component upgrades and sources of supply are given. It starts on Page 94...and has not yet been uplinked to their website.

Essentially, the LS3 is very reliable (depending on "tune" and method of output increase) to about 650 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER...a mighty impressive number that translates to about 750 at the flywheel (depending). There is one rather graphic picture of an LS3 taken a lil bit too far...caused by an overstressed hypereutectic piston in a 700 rwhp setup...

For those considering serious power improvements and/or driveline mods, this article is a "must read"...filled with current info and sources...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #5011
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
I think we have some powertrain activities over there that are the last remnants of our Fiat deal. Is he working in powertrain or is it something else?

So is it working for GM or working in Italy or the combination???? that is most interesting for you?
He will be doing powertrain work mostly on new programs for ECU's. I think it would be awesome to work in Italy and for GM...well working for Fiat aka Ferrari or Alfa Romeo wouldn't be bad either lol.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #5012
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Any updates on that there Z28???
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014