Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Least expensive exhaust recommendation

Can someone recommend the least expensive exhaust change to get more sound out of my Camaro SS w/ 6 speed. I don't want to spend $1,600+ for a Corsa system. I thought I seen a thread from someone that just changed their mufflers and it made a great improvement on the sound of their car but I can't find the thread.

If I go a "cheap" way what difference would it make -vs- spending the big money on a Corsa or Loudmouth exhaust system?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Straight pipes - Just cut off the mufflers and replace them with pipe. I heard an SS with this mod the other day and it sounded like a modern day muscle car should.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Well first of all corsa isn't $1600, second of all there are tons other options, third you said cheapest, that would probably be to go to a local mufflers shop and tell them to cut your mufflers off. basically a muffler delete is the cheapest thing I can think of for sound. You can get a quality axle back system which is basiclaly new mufflers for around $600 give or take a few bucks. I suggest borla nice deep V8 sounds. Corsa is a little raspy and they have a unique sound.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Corsa, Magnaflow, SLP, Borla, etc all have cat back(more money and lots of piping) and axle back systems (pretty much muffler swap only with new tips). They are not just limited to one type. Google all of them or look to the thread in the main sticky area for Exhaust clips compilation.
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
wow sounded much better with the trash cans cut off
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

rolnslo- Yep, that's the sound I'm going for!! I guess you can't get much cheaper than that.

I will probably do the work myself but I want to make it reversible so I can easily put the car back to original. Can you tell me what I will need to buy? I'm assuming 4 clamps and a couple pieces of pipe? Can you tell me what diameter pipe I need? How about coupling the pipes together, do I need some kind of a coupling to make everything fit together?

That is even cheaper than I had hoped, thanks!!

Russ
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Dont spend $500 for a cat back. Thats plain retarded.

I got my mufflers cut out and straight pipes installed professionally using the stock tips for $90 out the door.

Only an idiot would pay slp $450 for the same thing with new tips to get the exact same sound. Its not rocket science, its muffler work. Theres no way any sort of R&D justifies the $450-600 for an axle back. Dont be a sheeple and pay that price.

You can bring any muffler and tip to any reputable shop and get it done for 1/4 the price.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

I have no intention of paying that kind of money, I am simply going to remove the mufflers and insert a piece of straight pipe but I want to do the work myself so I need to know what diameter the pipe is and what I need to buy. I want everything to be there so once I get the car jacked up I can get everything done.

Russ
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Start cutting off the pipes and measure them. You have to cut em off anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Yeah that is an option, but knowing if the pipe is 2.5" or 3" before I get started is a better option.

Russ
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
Anyone who has done this notice a difference?? Power wise? I know sound obviously, but power wise?? Or any slower on the take off?

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Before going with the straight pipe option, check with your state laws first. In some states straight pipes are illegal and your car will not pass inspection. While going straight pipe will be the cheapest option now, it could very well cost you more later, and cause you to do more work.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I have no intention of paying that kind of money, I am simply going to remove the mufflers and insert a piece of straight pipe but I want to do the work myself so I need to know what diameter the pipe is and what I need to buy. I want everything to be there so once I get the car jacked up I can get everything done.

Russ
Bro it will probably be easier and cheaper to just have a shop do it. There are a couple of bends and welds that need to be done. I dont know what experiance or tools you have though.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Bro it will probably be easier and cheaper to just have a shop do it. There are a couple of bends and welds that need to be done. I dont know what experiance or tools you have though.
Yep...plus lining up the tips so they are straight. That is the hardest part.

For mine, Magnaflow J bend pipe was used (stainless)...all welded together and then the original tips welded back on.

If you can't weld, I'd have a shop put it on.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote