Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #43
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Newer car or older? If newer get VINYL cleaner and protectants not leather. All new leather seats have vinyl coating so leather cleaners and protectants won't work on them.
Are you saying all new GM seats have a vinyl protective layer? No the case for all manufacturers, but if it is standard for GM, I'd like some info please (good to know - thanks!)
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #44
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Hey found it. I knew I saved this link was somewhere.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...product_id=565

I'm not going to post the whole thing, just a few sentences.

Most of the leather upholstery in domestic cars of recent vintage is plastic coated. The upper surface of such leather is ‘vinyl’. Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.

Cleverly anticipating your questions, we wanted to make sure this information is still current. So, we contacted Dr. Jenkins at his office in Atlanta. In our conversation Dr. Jenkins told us that in the years since the article was published coated leather has become more common than ever. That now virtually 100% of leather upholstery in American and Asian-made cars is plastic coated.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #45
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Hey found it. I knew I saved this link was somewhere.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...product_id=565

I'm not going to post the whole thing, just a few sentences.

Most of the leather upholstery in domestic cars of recent vintage is plastic coated. The upper surface of such leather is ‘vinyl’. Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.

Cleverly anticipating your questions, we wanted to make sure this information is still current. So, we contacted Dr. Jenkins at his office in Atlanta. In our conversation Dr. Jenkins told us that in the years since the article was published coated leather has become more common than ever. That now virtually 100% of leather upholstery in American and Asian-made cars is plastic coated.
Awesome, thanks for that info! I was quickly looking through the Zaino line and didnt see anything as far as Vinyl cleaner/protectant goes, does anyone know what I should use?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #46
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Zaino www.zainobros.com

Some results;

Here is a link to my Zaino distributor; he offers high quality towels, wash mitts, etc..http://www.hcvind.com/
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #47
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I've used Mequiar's and Mothers waxes. Mothers has been pretty impressive, and their chrome polish is excellent (even on brushed aluminum). Mequiar's is good but can be hit and miss. I'd recommend their gold class over anything else.

This Zaino stuff sounds promising. After surfing their website, do I really need to wash my car w/ Dawn and get rid of all my previous wax work? Also, exactly what products from Zaino do I need?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #48
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
This Zaino stuff sounds promising. After surfing their website, do I really need to wash my car w/ Dawn and get rid of all my previous wax work? Also, exactly what products from Zaino do I need?
1. Yes. You DO need to remove the old wax prior to using Zaino.
2. Z-Kit 1 will be the best bet for a "starter kit".
Old 12-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #49
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
Any suggestions for the best glass cleaners? Nothing I have tried seems to work on my current car, it always leaves streaks, especially on the inside of the glass.
'Stoners' Invisible Glass

Its the only product I've used which removes that "haze" which appears on the inside of the glass.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #50
Moose

Quote:
One word. Walmart. Yes that's right Walmart.

I've used Zaino products before and I don't know if I keep getting a hold of bad batches or what but every product of theirs I've used has been crap. I actually get better results from brands you can buy at Walmart then I've ever gotten from Zaino.
While it's possible some of the Zaino you've used has been "bad", thats a rarity.

Zaino is to be used very sparingly and if used improperly, the results will be affected.

As for shine; you may be able to get a shine close to Zaino with Meguires, Mothers, etc., but you won't get the durability.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #51
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
my future wife, just got me every piece of cleaning supplies out of the griots garage. man i cant wait to use this stuff on my camaro. it is going to look so good.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #52
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
MARRY HER FASTTTTT. she is god's gift to you lol. and yeah i have a brand loyalty to griots personally
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #53
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I normally use Mcguiars products But like most car guys aways looking for new or better detailing stuff. It's called "Wax & Dry'' by Turtle Wax, After you wash vehicle spray one panel at a time with wax & dry while it's still wet, It buffs up nice.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote