Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #43
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It can help clear you as well. It shows not only what was happening at the time of the accident but for a period of time before the accident.
Als Say your engine seizes, this box could be a warrenty saver as well, If you have been driving normally and not abused the car at the time of failure then it can actually help prove that you had no fault in the problem. but if it showed at the time of failure that you had the engine at redline and it was under heavy load it can be grounds to refusal of coverage.

As with the Service engine codes, this all recycles after so many operations. So even if you have driven over the speed limit, after a few days of normal driving your information will be written over and you won't have to worry.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #44
odie23

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
as far as i'm concerned, if i own the car, i own what's in it.
That's the paradox, you legally own the car, but a court order can over ride your right due to the public right to know during an accident investigation. Or a manufacturer may be able to void your warranty claim or insurance claimed based on the black box info
(For example, engine warranty or insurance claim denied due to misuse of vehicle).
Even if you’re drag/tracking at an sanctioned course.
Point being, have the appropriate insurance/car when engaging in sports car activities.
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #45
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
What do you mean by this? Has your insurance company received data?
It's real simple, if I take my vette to another HSDE and get into an accident and have the car towed home, then try and work up some story to get my insurance to cover the costs, it's a simple matter for the data to be down loaded from my "black box" and I'm busted.

The other point I was making is that all car insurance companies now exclude any coverage if your car is damaged while it's on the property of any facility designed for racing.

So again my point is:

If your going to exceed posted limits on the street or think your safe attending a HSDE or auto-x or driving school event and you damage your car (even blowing up the motor or rear end for example) you can't hide anymore.

Hence my statement "if you wanna play you gotta pay". I know many Corvette buddies that have learned the hard way.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #46
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

Drives: 95 Z28, and a 2000 Z28
Talking

I'm sure there is a way to remove it, or bypass it. I personally don't give a SH** for the law, and if I did i wouldn't buy a Camaro. Also to people that read this one don't follow in my footsteps because my reckless disregard for the law is costing me a fortune, but i love the thrill of running from the police.
Attached Images

GamerGuyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #47
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
1984 my brutha.... Car Jackers learn to break the onstar encryption...shut my car down and point a gun at me.
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #48
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

I may have a disregard for the law, but it mostly consists of moving violations in my own vehicle. I don't do too many felonies, and i definitely don't steal stuff. I just don't agree with traffic control that's all.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #49
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyZ28 View Post
I may have a disregard for the law, but it mostly consists of moving violations in my own vehicle. I don't do too many felonies, and i definitely don't steal stuff. I just don't agree with traffic control that's all.
Id watch out there is a couple cops on here that are gonna have their way with you haha.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #50
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
1984 my brutha.... Car Jackers learn to break the onstar encryption...shut my car down and point a gun at me.
Onstar cannot shut down your engine. Onstar can unlock one of your doors/hatches, and activate the cell service so they can speak with you. Thats the ONLY ACTIVE things that onstar can do. The passive stuff is they con monitor any system in the car, they just can not in anyway effect it.

Quote:
Disregard for the law means that I hope you are in prison soon. Abide by the laws or leave my country. The laws are there to prevent idiots like you from harming others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
The other point I was making is that all car insurance companies now exclude any coverage if your car is damaged while it's on the property of any facility designed for racing.
While it is true that yes you can't "hide" anymore.. I am personally glad.. its people that hide that raise insurance rates for the rest of us with legitimate claims.

ON THE OTHER HAND not all insurance companies refuse coverage. Yes 90% of the them do BUT you can get coverage for on track use usualy its very limited BUT it is possible. Like you said.. you PAY TO PLAY.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #51
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
I'm sure there is a way to remove it, or bypass it. I personally don't give a SH** for the law, and if I did i wouldn't buy a Camaro. Also to people that read this one don't follow in my footsteps because my reckless disregard for the law is costing me a fortune, but i love the thrill of running from the police.
Man, I have a v6 and have a pic of me going 120... Time for me to dig through the old computer for pictures...

Quote:
Like if you are doing donuts in the parking lot of a business that you own (manage), and get a ticket. = LAME
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #52
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

I disagree with you Diarmadhi this is the land of the free, might i ask are you communist... no I'm kidding, you're not communist but you do live in a city so you wouldn't understand, all you know is what you see on movies and that is just not the case here in the mountains. And one other thing I hold an SCCA racing license, and trained at Road Atlanta, I'm not some dumb redneck just driving fast, i know what I'm doing. And besides there is such little traffic here you don't have to worry much. also there is only 8 cops in the entire county and none of them have cars that can even think of catching a 4th gen!

Here in GA the police can only issue tickets in business lots if the owner allows it, so maybe you can tell them to back-off.

Last edited by GamerGuyZ28; 10-22-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Thumbs down

Quote:

It's people like you that cause all our insurance rates to go up....

I don't care if you have an SCCA license or not, it dosen't give you the right to act like an AH on the roads.

You don't deserve to have a driver's license or own a car if you don't give a S*** about the law. You live in the mountians, what would happen on one of your runs from the law if a Deer were to jump out in front of you?

You know what they say "Drive like hell, you'll get there sooner"....
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #54
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

You would betray Tennessee heritage and be a law abiding citizen, I'm ashamed. for a Ridge Runner you are awfully submissive, it is southern tradition to drive like hell, honestly if it wasn't for you ridge runners NASCAR wouldn't exist... hell American racing wouldn't exist do you not know you're own history.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #55
StuMac

Drives: 2010 CMG 2SS
The reason I don't like the black box in cars is privacy, and how difficult it is to disable or remove. There is no current federal law requiring their use so it's presences should be your choice. Yes it can clear you of wrong doing but that's not the point. It gives people and organizations access to information they are not legally entitled to without your permission and in the beginning without your knowledge. Until it is required by law, automakers should release the information necessary to bypass it since it is difficult and risks deactivating some of the safety features that are required by law if done improperly.

Cyber gray!
StuMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #56
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMac View Post
The reason I don't like the black box in cars is privacy, and how difficult it is to disable or remove. There is no current federal law requiring their use so it's presences should be your choice. Yes it can clear you of wrong doing but that's not the point. It gives people and organizations access to information they are not legally entitled to without your permission and in the beginning without your knowledge. Until it is required by law, automakers should release the information necessary to bypass it since it is difficult and risks deactivating some of the safety features that are required by law if done improperly.
Hell yes man, you said it!