Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Tal

Drives: Old
Well with that group the Porsche should win, I'm not the biggest fan but every other car in the comparo measures up short. Ranking the rest is a mess IMO as they all have obvious flaws, it's simply a matter of personal taste which flaws bother you more.

Objectively the 370Z should rank 2nd or at least 3rd with it's price/performance ratio but subjectively a roadster should be exciting just to look at and the 370Z is rather bland looking far to much like an Altima. It's been one of Nissan's failings over the last few decades and the only Z cars to avoid this were the 280's from the late 70s-early 80s, it's even something of a weakpoint on the GT-R IMO.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I personally like the styling of the 370z over the Audi/BMW.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
Tal

Drives: Old
Styling is very subjective, none of them are fantastic IMO but the Z does have the most bland/dated feel to me. Personally I find it hard to see much appeal in any of them except maybe the Porsche when the C6 Corvette is out there on dealer lots.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Motortrend also ran a comparison between the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger/Genesis Coupe and put the Genesis Coupe in first place even though every single one of the Mustang's numbers beat it.
agreed and i believe the camaro and challenger had better numbers than the genesis
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I don't know how you can seriously sit there and say this car is better than another based solely on "softer data." It's entirely subjective, and entirely pointless when it comes to racing. However, I found it interesting that the test was a contest of speed, but yet they weren't going to use the stopwatches or calculators. Perhaps they simply need a better editor.
you find it ridiculous that a review was solely based on "softer data?" the test was never one of speed and they clearly stated that on the first page.... i suggest you go read that again. further more its not "ridiculous" to rank cars based solely on subjective data. this test is structured like someone going to test drive cars. nobody takes test instruments to the car dealership, they base their decision on what car they FEEL is best.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
you find it ridiculous that a review was solely based on "softer data?" the test was never one of speed and they clearly stated that on the first page.... i suggest you go read that again. further more its not "ridiculous" to rank cars based solely on subjective data. this test is structured like someone going to test drive cars. nobody takes test instruments to the car dealership, they base their decision on what car they FEEL is best.
Ok, then why should we care? I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but the cars they pick as "the best" are rarely the cars that people buy. Their subjective views are way off.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #21
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
Quote:
But in this contest of speed, style, and top-down dominance, it wasn't even close... We put aside the stopwatches and calculators in favor of softer data collected by ours hands, feet, eyes, and ears. How can such a heart-and-soul approach so accurately and positively identify the Boxster S as the roadster that best fulfills the mission profile? See for yourself.
Yes I find it ridiculous that an automotive publication takes the time to write an article that is solely based on feelings. It's nothing more than a glorified opinion. However I re-read it and still find the same thing I bolded before in my first post quoting you. Also, just because a vehicle FEELS better doesn't mean it can translate that to actual performance.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Yes I find it ridiculous that an automotive publication takes the time to write an article that is solely based on feelings. It's nothing more than a glorified opinion. However I re-read it and still find the same thing I bolded before in my first post quoting you. Also, just because a vehicle FEELS better doesn't mean it can translate that to actual performance.
the test isn't labeled as a performance test. it is labeled as a comparison. just as motortrend compares family sedans and CUV's on utility and ergonomics they were grading these cars based off of what they felt people look for in a convertible sports car.

clearly the test should have had a different outcome if it were purely a performance test. IMO it would have been boxter>370>z4>audi.but other things were factored in to the test that altered the finishing order. obviously luxury, driver involvement, and styling came to play. the motortrend writers seem to be a HUGE fan of the driver involvement/ feedback category, such is the reason why their best driver's competition ended with the miata in the top 3 when there were clearly better and faster cars. and honestly that is a category enough people pay attention to for motortrend to keep rating cars based on such a subjective category. Motortrend also supplies hard core numbers for people to create their own opinions on the cars being reviewed.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
i don't really like motortrend's reviews anymore because they are too bias it seems and too critical and sometimes in reviews they fail to mention stuff and they just don't seem reliable
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'd just as soon see them all lose and no victor declared...but that's cause I hate foreign cars.

MotorTrend is...odd lately...they must be under new leadership or something, because their tone has changed, and their reviews have been way way off. (imho, anyways).
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #25
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Meh, I've always been more of a Car and Driver kind of guy.

The 370z has some rather odd styling cues (the shark teeth in the grille come to mind), and the inside just looks a bit ricey. Great performing roadster, no doubt, but I think Motortrend is right to dock it on looks.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
People on this forum base things on subjective stuff all the time. If you didn't, then everyone here would just buy a used Corvette (because objectively- that's a better performer). I think Motor Trend does make a distinction between when they are doing performance tests vs comparo's. Comparo's seem to keep the performance numbers in mind, but they look at the subjective side more.

As far as payouts, Porsche doesn't seem to advertise much at all compared to Audi so I can't say it was a buy-off. And the R8 V10 seems to be a MT favorite over the Turbo 911? Honestly I think the boxster is basically the class of the field in the smaller 2 seat roadster type car and has been for years.
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd just as soon see them all lose and no victor declared...but that's cause I hate foreign cars.

MotorTrend is...odd lately...they must be under new leadership or something, because their tone has changed, and their reviews have been way way off. (imho, anyways).
I can see it now.

The winner of this contest is the Corvette. Don't bother sending your hate mail that the Corvette wasn't in the test. It's a better car, and frankly these all suck.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
People on this forum base things on subjective stuff all the time. If you didn't, then everyone here would just buy a used Corvette (because objectively- that's a better performer). I think Motor Trend does make a distinction between when they are doing performance tests vs comparo's. Comparo's seem to keep the performance numbers in mind, but they look at the subjective side more.

As far as payouts, Porsche doesn't seem to advertise much at all compared to Audi so I can't say it was a buy-off. And the R8 V10 seems to be a MT favorite over the Turbo 911? Honestly I think the boxster is basically the class of the field in the smaller 2 seat roadster type car and has been for years.
People compare new cars vs. new cars, not used cars. Objectively, you could buy a civic hatchback for $3,000 and mod it until you're around half the price of a used Corvette. The only time when subjective feelings should overrule performance, in this specific segment anyways, is when it is on the extreme end of ugly styling, relatively horrible steering feel, etc.