Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
if you can afford it.... redline blows amsoil, royal purple, and mobil 1 out of the water.
Not in any tests I have seen. I'm not an oil guru by any means but every signle test I have ever seen online ranks Amsoil #1.

Take a look at this link, it has a great explantation of the standardized testing performed on syenthetics. As you can see Amsoil leads Redline and Mobil 1 in the 5W-30 oil. In fact Redline hardly has anything to brag about compareed to Mobil 1.
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.

Last edited by toehead93; 07-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #44
pdesanctis
i like to go fast

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Not in any tests I have seen. I'm not an oil guru by any means but every signle test I have ever seen online ranks Amsoil #1.

Take a look at this link, it has a great explantation of the standardized testing performed on syenthetics. As you can see Amsoil leads Redline and Mobil 1 in the 5W-30 oil. In fact Redline hardly has anything to brag about compareed to Mobil 1.
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

and Do tell us. Who on earth is Ed Hackett? I suppose.. a 'hack'?

AMSoil is far from #1. Slightly on par with Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.

Redline takes the cake though as far as high end Ester synthetics are concerned.
pdesanctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #45
jm251

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT RS A6
I used Amsoil signature series from 650 miles till 4500. Since then I've let my dealer do the changes and have been using mobil 1. I'm at just over 17 k and going back to Amsoil signature series 5w-30. Change the oil regularly, take care of your car and these engines will last a long long time
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #46
pdesanctis
i like to go fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm251 View Post
I used Amsoil signature series from 650 miles till 4500. Since then I've let my dealer do the changes and have been using mobil 1. I'm at just over 17 k and going back to Amsoil signature series 5w-30. Change the oil regularly, take care of your car and these engines will last a long long time
Have you done any UOA's on that Amsoil 5w30? I'm leaning towards Amsoil signature 5w30 for my next oil change.

UOA: Universal Oil Analysis

This is who I generally use http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Also, How much do you pay for Amsoil signature 5w30? $10.15 /quart is outrageous. Where do you purchase Amsoil at a reasonable price?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #47
jm251

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT RS A6
I haven't done a UOA but I've read many reviews, a lot of test data, articles, etc. and it all points to Amsoil being top shelf even above mobil 1. I paid $20 for 1 year wholesale club at their site. Then it comes out around $7. I do an oil change every 6 months plus I get discounts on all their other goodies like filters, coolants, fuel cleaner, etc. Wanna put amsoil in my transmission at some point but dealer says trans fluid good for 75k. Sound fishy?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #48
pdesanctis
i like to go fast

Not bad! I might just join the club.

Ehh, if you have an automatic than you can keep the OEM fluid in there. (The manual transmissions in the SS are so notchy it is recommended to change the factory fluid to a more upscale fluid) However, I am almost positive you will feel smoother shifting if you put in Amsoil's ATF. May not be a Huge difference, but it is definitely better than factory. At least I believe so.

I always try to put in high end fluids in the drivetrain. How many quarts does your tranny hold? It could be pricey. I know with my old Land Rover discovery the auto held a good bit which added up. Now with my manual tranny it only holds 4 quarts which isn't much.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #49
MikeLA2011ss

Drives: 2011 TT 416ci Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Chuck Norris doesn't use oil. He threatens the metal into keeping distance between itself.
Haha nice
MikeLA2011ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #50
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm251 View Post
I haven't done a UOA but I've read many reviews, a lot of test data, articles, etc. and it all points to Amsoil being top shelf even above mobil 1. I paid $20 for 1 year wholesale club at their site. Then it comes out around $7. I do an oil change every 6 months plus I get discounts on all their other goodies like filters, coolants, fuel cleaner, etc. Wanna put amsoil in my transmission at some point but dealer says trans fluid good for 75k. Sound fishy?

My wife’s DD is an ’07 Escalade we purchased used three years ago. I’m old school, and when I saw the Cadi 400 HP engine that uses 6 quarts and an oil filter the size of a shot glass, I had some reservations. Did some hard core research on the best oil filter money can buy and all my research pointed to Amsoil filters. Then I started looking at their oil and was equally impressed. I’ve ran Amsoil in the Escalade for the last 50K with the Amsoil filter and she still purrs.

Purchased the ’12 SS and discovered it is a similar engine that uses 8 quarts and the “same” exact shot glass sized oil filter. I’m running Amsoil in it as well. After the $20 Amsoil preferred buyer wholesale discount for a year, it cuts the costs down. Not knocking Mobil 1 or Redline, just personally prefer Amsoil.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote