Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Waco
Layla

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM/IO
2SS RS vs CTS-V

Ok all, I've been researching what I want in a Camaro and had my heart set on a CGM 2SS RS MT, even went and drove it to be sure and fell in love (I have a 14 yr-old Silverado PU which has been my DD since new and an '03 HD for fun)...then somehow the discussion with the wife turned to the CTS-V...a pipe dream, or so I thought (given the price diff...we are not independently wealthy, but I have a steady income with no bills to speak of)...my unicorn...and she asked to see it, so I obliged using the power of the internet. Now she loves the CTS-V too. We haven't gone to look at one in the flesh yet and please entertain me...this is all a fun discussion about great cars and "what if"...but if you had your choice, what would you choose?

2SS RS with the hopes of hot rodding it a bit to remain a fun and hot-looking DD or CTS-V and go ZR-1 drivetrain w/caddy comfort (along with worse mileage and almost 2X the cost) right off the bat and get the nickel and diming over with?

I know they are 2 very different cars and everyone has their own tastes, just looking for the general consensus from the C5 crew. Thanks in advance for your candid feedback.

P.S. A Vette, although a fantastic car, at this time wouldn't be a good fit for me...need at least some storage and seating. Just in the market for a great, fun-to-drive performance car with good value and halfway decent utility.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
louperrault
Former 2010 owner :(

Drives: 2011 Siverado C/C
I will take a stab at this since I have had the pleasure of driving both and owning one of them (the Camaro).
The CTS-V us a great car, and the comparison is hard one. The Caddy is the higher priced vehicle and also more costly to maintain. I believe my friend told me (he works at a caddy dealer as a technician) the shop rates at caddy are between $125 and 150 per hour and chevy rates are 1/2 that. I like the caddy for its style and interior extra's, but love the camaro's style and classic styling inside. You will save yourself about $20000 by choosing a car that is easier to modify, and the computers won't be offended by the mods whereas the caddy will be a royal pain in the backside because thier computers monitor everything and will keep telling you that you should not have done something (haha). Besides, camaro's were built to be modded versus caddy having more luxury. Sorry man,might be a little longer of an explaination than I planned on (haha), little tired getting ready to leave the country on vacation (flight leaves before 7am). Goodluck, and I chose the camaro over the cts-v and like you, could buy one but not both. Lou
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I'm only into muscle cars, BUT... I absolutely love Cadillac's. That's it, nothing else. But I would choose my Camaro over any other car any day, that's how much I'm in love with this car. It all depends on your taste and preference.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
CTS-V for the win and you can still mod it if you want to really easy and cheap.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...rcharger-pulle
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If given the choice, it would be very difficult to turn down the CTS-V, assuming that you can afford either or both. The Camaro is a sure winner in the style category and wins in its own division on all fronts, but the CTS-V is the fastest sedan in the world, plus its a Cadillac. It would have the speed and the luxury. I'd go with the CTS-V if you have the bottomless wallet to make it yours.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The CTS-V will be better than the Camaro in every single category except one: looks.
Better performance, better comfort, better handling, etc, etc...but looks are subjective, and I find the Camaro more attractive.

Like you've said...It'll cost quite a bit more, too...

For what it's worth...if both were set in front of me and I got to pick for free? I'd probably take the Camaro. There's a timelessness about it that I don't think the CTS-V has. It will keep me happy for many years to come, whereas the CTS-V may not. And the the performance isn't enough to make up for it, imo. I mean -- I've been staring and obsessing over this car for 3 years now, and it hasn't gotten old yet. I don't think it ever will.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Cts-v in every single aspect is a better car (except for subjective ones), but that comes with the price tag. If you can afford it, it would be silly to not go for the cts-v.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Obviously if you can afford it, the CTS-V is by far the better choice.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louperrault View Post
I will take a stab at this since I have had the pleasure of driving both and owning one of them (the Camaro).
The CTS-V us a great car, and the comparison is hard one. The Caddy is the higher priced vehicle and also more costly to maintain. I believe my friend told me (he works at a caddy dealer as a technician) the shop rates at caddy are between $125 and 150 per hour and chevy rates are 1/2 that. I like the caddy for its style and interior extra's, but love the camaro's style and classic styling inside. You will save yourself about $20000 by choosing a car that is easier to modify, and the computers won't be offended by the mods whereas the caddy will be a royal pain in the backside because thier computers monitor everything and will keep telling you that you should not have done something (haha). Besides, camaro's were built to be modded versus caddy having more luxury. Sorry man,might be a little longer of an explaination than I planned on (haha), little tired getting ready to leave the country on vacation (flight leaves before 7am). Goodluck, and I chose the camaro over the cts-v and like you, could buy one but not both. Lou
Modding the cts is pretty much exactly the same as modding the camaro.

Id jump ship to a v in a heartbeat. They are sneaky bastards.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
The CTS-V. Personally, If I was going Cadillac, I'd be tempted to wait for the 2011 CTS Coupe. It's scheduled to be out in 6 months.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
To ask which one to get, whether it be camaro or cts-v on a camaro forum is not the smartest of things to do if you want an unbiased answer.

I like the CTS-V in every category. More aggressive looking exterior, better interior, and performs better.

If you can afford the CTS-V, get it. If you are pushing it, get something less expensive. Go for a S5/A5. Also great cars, but if you can't afford those, get your SS.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
CTS-V Coupe!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
JOHNREX

Drives: SILVER 2010 2SS RS
Send a message via Yahoo to JOHNREX
ditto w/ drop the gloves

ditto w/ drop the gloves

If you are really into a car with great fit and finish and better interior quality go for the caddy!

I was disappointed with the interior of the cheap plasticy no navi display camaro, but great gas mileage 400hp and the rockstar status and chic magnet won overall.

I almost got the A5/S5 and i loved the interior, but hated the expensive tune up knowing that i'm going to beat the car to death.

Looking fwd to the 2012 SRT Jeep any spyphotos?
JOHNREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Lookin for a Camaro DD remember:
Has more blind spots
More difficult to get in and out of
Does not offer auto climate control
Has summer performance tires (maybe CTS-V, too?)
Ain't nobody sittin in the back seat of a Camaro
Doesn't offer multi disk, but can play from usb stick

Other things to consider:
You will smile every time you get behind the wheel and step on the gas
Gets good milage for 426 HP
Get all the options you like and it will still be alot less the the CTS-V

If the price were the same..... I would buy the V.

My Chevyillac has a Duramax.