Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Why must GM always shoot their own foot?

I understand cutting costs and saving weight, etc, but why does GM (okay, almost all auto makers do it, but GM is the one I really give a crap about) seemingly always have to shoot themselves in the foot?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/08/g...-to-340-miles/

This will not help with the general public's perception of them any and that's a big problem. They needed to keep this at a 600 mile range (or close to it) and keep the cost down. From previous articles, we know the cost will be closer to $40K than the $30K originally stated, but a great effective range would help offset some of that. Now, back it down to less than 400 miles....GM better find a way to get the price back down under 30K if they want to sell as many as they say they do.

If things like the economy and gas prices get any worse, the Volt will need more than just same good looks in order to sell.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Here's the link to the source article from Kicking Tires

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-gas-tank.html

This article is in no way as negative as the autoblog article. The autoblog article is personal opinion and speculation. The author has given no facts or statistics to back up his claim. Sure 600 miles would be great but 360 is not a problem. That's just a little less than my Mazda 3 gets on a full tank. So no biggie.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
All they're doing is cutting the gas tank in half. For most people's daily commute, they will never exceed the range provided by the battery. In that case, the gas in the tank would probably go bad before they even used it.

It is no less efficient! Instead of putting X amount of gallons in the tank one time, you put X/2 gallons twice. Not a big deal (to me at least) if I'm not exceeding the battery's range on a daily basis.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
All they're doing is cutting the gas tank in half. For most people's daily commute, they will never exceed the range provided by the battery. In that case, the gas in the tank would probably go bad before they even used it.

It is no less efficient! Instead of putting X amount of gallons in the tank one time, you put X/2 gallons twice. Not a big deal (to me at least) if I'm not exceeding the battery's range on a daily basis.
Not to mention the fact that it will make the person "feel" better when they fill up when they hear the guy in the aveo next to them saying: "damnit it cost $45 to fill my AVEO up!"
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Agreed,

So we go from a 12 gallon tank to about a 7 gallon tank and still get 360 miles... The problem is......
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I was flabbergasted when I read about the huge tank in the Volt. It seemed like a bad idea for an electric car to have to drag around so much gasoline. I assumed that if I got one I'd keep the tank almost empty. I'm glad to see it's been downsized.

340 miles is fine, except for idiots who think that total range defines fuel economy -- and they are balanced out by the idiots who think that cost to fill the tank is what defines fuel economy.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I agree with everything you all said....all I was talking about was public perception.

GM comes out and says "we're building this good looking vehicle that will use both electric and gasoline power to give you a range of 600 miles (yes, far more than 90% of the consumers need), will cost $30K, and will get incredible gas mileage."

At first, no one believed them (they're GM afterall, they don't build "green" vehicles and if they did, they won't be reasonably priced). Then, more info comes out and some people start to change their perception (maybe, just maybe, GM can be a "green car" company at a decent price). So, GM comes out with this new information (cost will be closer to $40K and the range is less than expected). Now that "public perception" is reinforced ("see, GM can't build a 600 mile per tank vehicle at a decent price"). It just keeps adding to the negative public perception and they do it to themselves.

Don't get me wrong at all, I like the idea of the Volt. I like the design of it. I'll even consider getting one if I like it after driving one. I just don't like to see American car companies (esp GM) shoot their mouths off and then basically eat their own words. That "all Japanese cars are great, American cars suck" public perception (as false as it may be) is all too real and this type of thing only serves to fuel it.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
I just don't like to see American car companies (esp GM) shoot their mouths off and then basically eat their own words. That "all Japanese cars are great, American cars suck" public perception (as false as it may be) is all too real and this type of thing only serves to fuel it.
That's what I was thinking at first...but then I thought about it...it was only a concept vehicle. The only thing GM actually committed to carrying over to the production car was the 40 mile battery range, and tests are exceeding that 40 miles (which is outstanding!).

If this move makes the car lighter (increasing battery range by a bit) and a little cheaper, then I think consumers will agree that it's a good move. Who would honestly use all 600 miles before stopping for a rest anyway?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't see the problem. Most people ask how many miles per gallon a car has, not how many gallons.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
After reading the article it is apparent that Damon Lavrine is an idiot. It is also apparent that as usual there are Americans out there who seem to delight in bashing anything American, which in the end only makes them look the fool. If you read the posts it is true what some are posting here about perception, although the real truth is is that this kind of misinformation written by the IDIOT is now used as ammunition by all of his pinhead followers to try to downplay the significance of the technology GM is developing here. I mean if Toyota develops a new tire valve stem all these pinheads act like Toyota is the second coming of the lord, GM develops technology that will put way ahead of the pack and all they do is bitch. Maybe some of these so called Americans might like it better somewhere else, I know I am getting tired of their constant lack of loyalty to anything American and their constant ignorance.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
tests are exceeding that 40 miles (which is outstanding!).
Hooray! Got a link for me?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Okay...so I spoke a little soon. What I read wasn't speaking specifically about the range:

Quote:
He confirms supreme confidence that “we’re good for November 2010″ and that there are “zero problems” with the batteries and that in fact “they are exceeding their expectations”,
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...6787#post86787
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
cut that gas tank in half. it makes complete sense. the majority of buyers aren't going to even drive 600 miles before stopping to stretch and get a restroom break. I'd say 400 miles should be the topper. But, for an everyday commute, you'd better believe that i'd only keep a couple gallons in the volt to get me to another gas station in case of an emergence. you see, i could potentially buy the volt and NEVER use a drop of gasoline again.

to work and back home in only 20 miles....IF that. so, i wouldn't need a large gas tank.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
for people who commute a ton tho..filling that gas tank up once, instead of twice, in say a week, could make a lotta difference..Sure they may not fill up twice in a week, but that pretty much makes it even worse to have to fill it up every week & a half, because gas price could rise even higher than that weekly fill up.

the cost of gas is rising - almost Daily.
for the real econofreaks, that 5-10 cent rise in price of gas could mean a big difference..
Fill up a 12 gallon tank for 4.30 per G, Once...(approx $51 after one filling)
or fill a 7 gallon tank one day for 4.30 a G, and the next time you fill up - 4.40 a G...(Approx $61 after both fillings)
yeah - ur gonna end up paying more... Sure it's only $10, but some people really have to watch their pennies.
While some may see this as an exaggeration, truth is - it's fact these days.
Gas prices Aren't getting any lower.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote