Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
needdlex

Drives: 1998 Corvette
Angel/Demon Eyes

I've seen lots of pictures and lots of ads for lights to change the halo color.

Is it legal to have red or blue lights in the front of a vehicle? I know that retailers will sell you anything, and that doesn't really mean that it's something legal I could drive down the road with.
needdlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Red yes, blue no
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Or is it the other way around?
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
red and blue would both be illegal since they are fire/police colors. Green is EMT and would also likely be illegal. so while you cant drive down the road with those colors on you could use at shows and meets. white, yellow/amber, purple, orange (tho may look red?) should all be legal far as i know.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
here in Oregon almost any color other than stock is illegal and that goes for window tinting and any aftermarket lights or license cover...anything marked off road use only and any firework that's fun.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
This is also going to be a State dependent law. In NC the only vehicles I see with green lights are mall cops. EMS here uses red.

I believe in NC Red and Blue are both illegal, however if you have the ones that change then you just don't use the red/blue on public roads. This is something you'll need to look into though for your particular state.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Mint

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Looks cool but illegal. I had a friend who put blue led DRLs on the front of his car and let's just say that the police didn't like it haha.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Here in MS it HAS to be white or amber if it's visible from the front
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
All depends on the state. here as long as it is not flashing/strobing/changing you can have pretty much any color you want. I thought the red/blue was always off limits but after seeing multiple people with them I asked the question.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
chbailey
cb03

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I live in Florida and have amber halo's. I've driven by a hundred cops and no one has ever stopped me, until one day someone pulled me over. He walks up and says "you know those lights are illegal right?" My response was I did some research before buying them and thought red and blue were illegal but that amber was legal, and that it's no different than driving with my parking lights on. He paused, walked to the front of my car and comes back and says "those are not amber" then points to my sidemarker and says "those are amber". So because my amber colors didn't match exactly he was giving me a hard time.

Good news is he told me he was not going to give me a ticket but said he wanted to warn me that I "might get one at some point". I feel like he pulled me over because I had lights that were different than everyone else and it didn't hit him that they were amber until I mentioned it. He did tell me specifically that red, blue and green were illegal.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Red and Blue are both illegal unless it's a very light blue/white color like you see on factory BMW's for example. Anything that's a true red or a true blue will get you pulled over as it's technically "impersonating a Police Officer" even if you're not attempting to pull anyone over or do anything funny, just having them lit up on the streets will get you a ticket, and I'm pretty sure it's a nasty one as well.

Having RGB switching LED's will solve that problem, turn on the red/blue or whatever you want at car shows, then turn it to a legal color when you leave the show. That's how most guys do it at car shows.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Moved to Cosmetics & Lighting Mods sub-forum
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrong subforum