Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
I like this forum much better than the HPT forum, most won't respond there....
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
I just started tinkering with tuning the VE Table in my LS3 this past week, have most of the LTFTs under 4000 rpms in the =/-3% range. The real question I have is what is the definitive answer as to when the MAF is used for fueling and when the VE is. What settings in the tune determine when one is active and the other not during normal operation. I know by default as soon as you go above 4000rpms it is all MAF but what about at other times. I would like to run with both, GM has them both in there from the factory so I am assuming there is a reason for that. My MAF calibration is pretty solid with +/-2% LTFT up to about 7000hz, I haven't done WOT MAF calibration yet after starting from scratch last week.

My VE seems pretty good so far but I am having problems with cold starts that started this morning, she sounded like she had a big bump stick in her until she warmed up a little bit and the car went into closed loop.

HAs anyone here gotten the Virtual VE Tuned by either a shop or themselves?

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
You have to fail out the MAF completely before you tune the VE table, and you can't just unplug the MAF to do that. You also need to disable VE completely before tuning the MAF. I'm not going into detail on what you need to do for accomplishing this because the answers are out there in plain daylight, and I've been traveling all day... and am consequently tired as hell!

As far as when is which one used... below 4000rpm, or whatever the high speed mode enabler is set to, both are used in conjunction with one another. Steady state operation tends to bias towards the MAF while transient operation biases towards the VE. I could say more, but bah... I want to sleep.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Thanks DSteck, I know how to fail each one out to be able to tune the other, MAF by setting the fail frequency to 0 and VE by setting the disable rpm real low to 200. I know some folks are running MAF only and I was for a week or so but I was noticing a lean spike and some knock during tip-in for partial throttle acceleration when cruising so I was guessing that the VE table was used under more dynamic conditions and the MAF didn't respond as well to the transient fueling needed during tip-in... hence the "Dynamic Airflow" section in HPTuners. The lean spike and the reason for it is just a guess on my part right now.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
I'm not a fan of MAF only.When the VE is tuned in right it is the best for response ect.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
I'm not a fan of MAF only.When the VE is tuned in right it is the best for response ect.
+1

It is very easy to do pure MAF in a pinch though.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
playadam

Drives: anything lsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Skip the VE tune crap and run MAF only. Eliminate the VE table imo. Yes the software works to tune the virtual VE but its still alot of extra un-needed work. LS3 sensors are terribly accurate and can handle ALOT of boost!

Why take away free insurance? Look running on ve alone is blindfolding your engine and running on maf alone is like not having a spare tire...

Tune both, use both. thats why they are there.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Skip the VE tune crap and run MAF only. Eliminate the VE table imo. Yes the software works to tune the virtual VE but its still alot of extra un-needed work. LS3 sensors are terribly accurate and can handle ALOT of boost!
People like this guy are the reason the internet can be a bad source for information sometimes.

I highly recommend dialing in VE tables. I get cars coming in from all over the country that have been previously "tuned", but don't run the way they should. Over 50% of them just needed a VE touch-up and the car ran perfect. It's more important than a lot of people give it credit for.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
I re-tuned my single turbo car after finding issues with the tune by a shop in FL. IFR and PE tables were all over the place. I couldn't drive it two miles without the check engine light coming on. Also, Ford GT 500 injectors were used. Had my stock injectors opened up to 70lbs. and rescaled the stock injector table. Tuned the VE table. Then, reenabled the MAF and STFT's. Car runs great now. I used EFI Live.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #24
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
I re-tuned my single turbo car after finding issues with the tune by a shop in FL. IFR and PE tables were all over the place. I couldn't drive it two miles without the check engine light coming on. Also, Ford GT 500 injectors were used. Had my stock injectors opened up to 70lbs. and rescaled the stock injector table. Tuned the VE table. Then, reenabled the MAF and STFT's. Car runs great now. I used EFI Live.
Let me guess.........

Norris?
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Let me guess.........

Norris?
Justin at J&J Performance... there I said it! Out of the three Camaro's turbo'd and tuned, mine is the only one running with the original engine. I can't believe what some shops pass off as tunes these days. If you can read and comprehend, the info is out there to do it right. That being said, I know there are quite a few good shops/ tuners out there. I just wanted to fix mine myself.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #26
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Let me guess.........

Norris?
If there is some issue, you are more then welcome to call and discuss it.

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Do the tuners using handheld tuners do virtual PE tuning?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Do the tuners using handheld tuners do virtual PE tuning?
hand held units dont do in depth tuning
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote