Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
bumblebee123

Drives: Fast & the Furious
Tap Shift & Manual Stick

What's the difference of those two besides not using the clutch?
bumblebee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
gto_in_nc

Drives: 1997 Jeep Wrangler -for now...
One is connected to an automatic transmission and the other is connected to a manual transmission.
gto_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Tap shifters are for Nissans!
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Tap Shift is an automatic transmission. You just have buttons on the steering wheel to shift it manually. It still uses a torque converter as a clutch.

Do not confuse this with sequential gear boxes or dual-clutch transmissions found in higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's as well. Also very common in Ferrari's and Lambo's. These are actually manual gearboxes that automate the activation and deactivation of the clutch.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
bumblebee123

In regards on speed, does it even matter?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
bumblebee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Tap shifters are for Nissans!
The upcoming Camaro (auto) will have one too.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee123 View Post
In regards on speed, does it even matter?

Yes. An auto is generally considerd faster in a strait line. But if you have a really good drive manuals often have more aggressive gearing and can match an auto. Manuals will generally be better cars through the twisties because you can control your rear's speed independantly of the front.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Tap Shift is an automatic transmission. You just have buttons on the steering wheel to shift it manually. It still uses a torque converter as a clutch.

Do not confuse this with sequential gear boxes or dual-clutch transmissions found in higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's as well. Also very common in Ferrari's and Lambo's. These are actually manual gearboxes that automate the activation and deactivation of the clutch.
higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's....and Smart ForTwo's
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My wifes IS350 has tap shifting and it sucks. There is a delay of about a second and a half. You have to set up how far through the gears you want to shift. I've used them once. Just long enough to see how stupid it is.

The thrill of shifting gears was gone for me a long time ago. Auto is just fine and usually faster. Just not as fun sometimes. I wanted the remote start for the A/C here in Alabama it gets pretty hot. Just my .02 though.

You can usually tap shift the stick on the console also by moving it left and right for up and down. I guess to make you feel like your shifting gears manually. I say get a manual or use the auto tranny how it's supposed to be used. Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
I've heard that, too. I hope that with a full warranty, etc...GM knows what's good for the transmissions THEY invented.

Just to reiterate what everyone's said here:

The paddle-shifters (TapShift) in the Camaro is just an automatic transmission with the option for manual control. It's NOT like the gearboxes in Ferrari's.

Based on feedback from drivers, Camaro team folks, and some '08+ Corvette drivers, the shift response is actually pretty quick. Of course that's up for debate, but what's for sure is that the computer does not interfere with your shifting: If you want to redline it and bounce off the limiter, it'll let you do that.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
My wifes IS350 has tap shifting and it sucks. There is a delay of about a second and a half. You have to set up how far through the gears you want to shift. I've used them once. Just long enough to see how stupid it is.

The thrill of shifting gears was gone for me a long time ago. Auto is just fine and usually faster. Just not as fun sometimes. I wanted the remote start for the A/C here in Alabama it gets pretty hot. Just my .02 though.

You can usually tap shift the stick on the console also by moving it left and right for up and down. I guess to make you feel like your shifting gears manually. I say get a manual or use the auto tranny how it's supposed to be used. Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
I say don't judge the Camaro's tap shift until you use it or have talked to someoe that has used it. Just because tap shift sucks on one make car does not mean it will on the Camaro... I don't think the Camaro's tap shift will have the option of doing from the shifter, I think you have to use the paddles on the steering wheel... toy just put the shifter in manual mode and use the paddles.... Right side shifts up left side shifts down...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
VJCamaro
Please not have any Delay

Drives: 2SS, RS, Sunroof, Polished
I ordered it, because I wanted to have that feeling it is a manual at times. I didn't get the manual because I travel 100 miles a day and usually stuck in traffic which becomes a drag when you have a manual. This car will be my daily driver, about 500 miles a week.

I got it for the fun factor!
VJCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
spd98

Drives: had a goat
I drove a Manual GTO for 2 years in Atlanta which is some of the worst traffic in the country. Newer cars have light clutches so it's really not a good argument.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Kray
2G1FJ1EJ9A9110138

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I was unsure of the tapshift on the car, so when I was placing my order the sales manager let me take out a new V8 Malibu with the tapshift to see how it felt and it was great! It took a few seconds to get used to shifting from the steering wheel.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote