Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #85
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
WHEW!!! THAT'S THE NUMBER I REMEMBER!!! Isn't there a new model with a little more power now, anyways? It's an "R" or something - yes? Regardless - that the GTR can pretty much keep pretty close to ZR1 is saying something. I think most of it's due to the AWD, but Z28 will be close in weight, so it's not impossible. It only takes $$$
The 7:26 I quoted is the GTR V-Spec's time with 530+ crank hp. The standard GTR did it in 7:29-ish (which is rumoured to be a suspicious time)..

Well aware of the AWD factor playing a part, but let's face it, a proper setup RWD car should be able to beat it (the ZR1 did ), so can't see a Camaro with proper suspension, brakes and a good driver (thé most important part regardless of how it is transferring it's power to the wheels) getting close to it...

I certainly would love to see, and somehow I hope it will be, $50k is the region it will be priced in. Factor in the fact that I live in Belgium, and I would have to pay 25% on import taxes, it would become a pretty expensive car over here, and for that, I would want it to keep up with (read humiliate) some "exclusive" material like 911s and some Fezzas.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #86
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A GM employee talking about the Z28's price and performance raises red flags immediately. The fact that the quote can only be traced to some guy making comments to an article pretty much removes any credibility. It could potentially out perform a C6 Z06, or cost less than $45k, but not do both at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac427 View Post
I don't think the upcoming Z28 could beat a C5 Z06 on the track.

The old saying applies here..."if it seems to go to be true, it probably is"
A C5 Z06 isn't much faster than a base C6 Coupe, and is probably right on par with the Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
And most indications are the Nissan GTR is underrated. Its really making 550 awhp (all wheel HP).
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...hp-at-the-hubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I need to correct my statement. The Nissan GTR made 495 awhp. That would equate to around 570 hp at the crank (at 15% loss). But that's wayyy higher than Nissan's hp claims.
Your article says 475 at the wheel, not 495. Either way, I don't even think about deciding if an engine is under rated (or over rated) until I can look at a bunch of different runs. People have been known to be ... creative with their dyno runs. There are quite a few first/early dyno runs for a brand new car where it seems to prove that its under-rated, then hardly anybody is able to duplicate those results in the coming years. That doesn't mean the GTR can't be under rated, but I wouldn't say it makes 80 hp more than stock either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #87
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
I doubt the veracity of that source, no disrespect intended to the OP.

If I got three wishes, I could use one of them to make that true, another to put one in my garage, and hold the third in reserve.

As long as it beats the GT 500 on every track and strip, I'm going to be officially joyous.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #88
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
There is at least ONE company in our Community that claims, and I believe has shown, their SS will outrun a stock Z06 at a particular track (I can only recall one, if my recollection is correct, lol). That car has more power than I'm sure Z28 would come out with (though I remember some details that might render this comment incorrect, to an extent) but has brakes and chassis upgrades that aren't totally out of this world. It's all stuff we ALL can buy here from many vendors and duplicate ourselves.

Without getting into more details, I think that it's possible, but it still doesn't add up. The price is the biggest factor - even if I bump it near $50K. And it's not that I don't believe GM could make it happen; it's just there's too much keeping them FROM making it happen. It would still be KICK A$$ to see it though. That'd shut-up the serpent drivers out there
I saw a copy of Motorweek's test video of a certain 585 hp camaro. If their test is right it will hang with a current z06 (straightline) and definitely smoke a grand sport.

I would rather have the lsa z28, but it will have to deal with a bit of overshadowing from an existing (and bionically) perfect camaro!

Very interesting dilemma!
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #89
PeeBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Awd is a big factor in that comparison.

Nakamura-san would say it's more to do with the downforce (been watching a movie about him explaining the idea behind the GTR)

Last edited by PeeBee; 12-29-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #90
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
After reading the whole thread, all I can say is we shall see. Still Waiting Still Saving for the Z28. Do I THINK it could beat a Z06...no. I am thinking that the Z28 will be slightly heavier then the SS because of the engine, brakes and possible chassis bracing for the addition HP increase over the SS. I am saying this IF the Z28 only gets 550bhp. My .02
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #91
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by upheval View Post
After reading the whole thread, all I can say is we shall see. Still Waiting Still Saving for the Z28. Do I THINK it could beat a Z06...no. I am thinking that the Z28 will be slightly heavier then the SS because of the engine, brakes and possible chassis bracing for the addition HP increase over the SS. I am saying this IF the Z28 only gets 550bhp. My .02
I agree!!.....Im still saving...if i dont have any figures on z28 price by end of february im just gonna order my 2011...im not gonna hold my breath for this being under 50K
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #92
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
DGthe3 appears to be the only one not drinking Z28 koolaid today. Well and a few other guys that have thought this thru. GM is not and will not be disclosing Z28 specs or details let alone price for quite some time. And everyone here knows you cant build a Z28 with what is known for 10K over a 2SS. So wipe the koolaid from your upper lips and come back to earth everyone. Hmmmm does a CTSV beat a Z06 around the track? Think on that one for a while.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #93
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
DGthe3 appears to be the only one not drinking Z28 koolaid today. Well and a few other guys that have thought this thru. GM is not and will not be disclosing Z28 specs or details let alone price for quite some time. And everyone here knows you cant build a Z28 with what is known for 10K over a 2SS. So wipe the koolaid from your upper lips and come back to earth everyone. Hmmmm does a CTSV beat a Z06 around the track? Think on that one for a while.
Well Said....My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The claim alone made me a little light-headed...

Once I drank some orange juice....I settled back down. It'd be amazing...but pretty unlikely.
AND....Chris Perry is marketing, not to mention HE never actually said it...some commenter on roadandtrack...
:(
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #95
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
Exactly! What a bunch of BS!

And the minute another Chevy is better than a Corvette... Riggght.....
Sir Issac Newton already solved this problem...but Chris has summed it up very neatly. In other words....ain't gonna happen...ever.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #96
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
I would go buy it for that price
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #97
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrander View Post
I thought GTR's did 480 crank? I've come across two on the highway and had no problem in my stock Z06 (wouldn't dare at a stop light).

Anyways, I do believe and hope the Z28 outperforms a Z06 on a roadcourse (600BHP, wide tires, CTS-V brakes, coilovers, and 3600-3700lbs would do it). I think it's impossible to do it for less than $55K though. Not sure why a Vette enthusiast would not like this idea. If a Camaro outperforms a C6Z, what do you think the C7Z is going to do? If GM kicks it's own ass, we all win!
I think it's going to have to come close to at least 580 and even 600 horse' to get close. The car I'm thinking of makes in excess of 600 FWHP and I'm sure it's using every bit to stay out front at that track. I believe I very much agree with your comments regarding the C7 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
The 7:26 I quoted is the GTR V-Spec's time with 530+ crank hp. The standard GTR did it in 7:29-ish (which is rumoured to be a suspicious time)..

Well aware of the AWD factor playing a part, but let's face it, a proper setup RWD car should be able to beat it (the ZR1 did ), so can't see a Camaro with proper suspension, brakes and a good driver (thé most important part regardless of how it is transferring it's power to the wheels) getting close to it...

I certainly would love to see, and somehow I hope it will be, $50k is the region it will be priced in. Factor in the fact that I live in Belgium, and I would have to pay 25% on import taxes, it would become a pretty expensive car over here, and for that, I would want it to keep up with (read humiliate) some "exclusive" material like 911s and some Fezzas.
Well - at least it won't look like a Beetle on meth', like that 911 Still - those Berbarians give A LOT for the money and are great cars. I'm not going to lie and say I think Z28 is exclusive, per se, but I DO know that it means more to me than any other car. I dont' need those other cars - I need Z28 That's some big $$$ to have to pay though, for you guys overseas :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I don't think it's the Koolaid - I think it's the Jack & Coke We're allowed to dream, lol

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #98
PeeBee

Quote:
Well - at least it won't look like a Beetle on meth', like that 911 Still - those Berbarians give A LOT for the money and are great cars. I'm not going to lie and say I think Z28 is exclusive, per se, but I DO know that it means more to me than any other car. I dont' need those other cars - I need Z28 That's some big $$$ to have to pay though, for you guys overseas :(
True, Porsche does seem to have a reputation amongst the owners I know to be a car that they can use every hp to the last bit. But glad to hear someone finally feels the same as me about their shape (I always call them flat beaten Beetles).

Anyway, regardless of price, I WILL have a Z28 in Bumbleblee colours!!