Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
jamier2

Drives: 2012 Ram 2500, 2012 Grand Cherokee
Stupid delayed convertible may drive me to a vette!

I was all excited to finally get one of the new ZL1 convertibles, until I heard they were delaying it until the end of Q2. I've been watching this since before they even released the original 5th gen prototype show car.

It wouldn't be terrible to wait a few more months, I've waited this long. I remember seeing the last 2002 SS in a dealer's lot and thinking I'll never have the chance to get a new Camaro, if that tells how long I've been waiting.

The problem is now I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the ZL1 convertible, but I am torn. I've found a great deal on a 2011 leftover Z06 that is very tempting. I know they're really different cars, but I'm having a hard time deciding. It would be a third vehicle for us, and just for nice days, cruises, etc. Maybe some track time too.

What would you do? I'm expecting most to say stick with the Camaro, given the site, but that's cool too. I am hoping to decide in the next day or two. Either way, can't complain with either of these cars.
jamier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well...it was never "delayed"...ZL1 convertible won't be available until the 2013 MY. This was established when they announced the car...and '13s don't start ordering until at the earliest April of next year...which, when considering the plant shutdowns in the summer...you'll be lucky to get it before late June/July, I'd think...

How long can you wait?

I've been Camaro-less, and wanting one desperately for nearly 6 years, now...but it was worth it. Would you feel the same if you waited?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
jamier2

Drives: 2012 Ram 2500, 2012 Grand Cherokee
Well, to be fair that was the announcement. My problem is that they already build convertibles on the line and just refuse to do the ZL1 until 2013.

I really don't know how much I'd regret not getting the Camaro, or the convertible as the Z06 is hard top only.

Tough call. I guess I'm irritated that they are holding the convertible more than anything. I've driven both cars and I think either one would be nice to have.
jamier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier2 View Post
Well, to be fair that was the announcement. My problem is that they already build convertibles on the line and just refuse to do the ZL1 until 2013.

I really don't know how much I'd regret not getting the Camaro, or the convertible as the Z06 is hard top only.

Tough call. I guess I'm irritated that they are holding the convertible more than anything. I've driven both cars and I think either one would be nice to have.
Who announced a delay? I'd be interested in reading that piece of journalism malpractice...

What are you more interested in? The performance, or the convertible top? Answering that question might help you decide.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Did you ever see any spy shots of a convertible in testing? I don't think it is a delay. The convertible requires extra time and testing. It's not just a matter of slapping some ZL1 badges and a bigger motor onto an existing convertible. There will be much more in terms of reinforcement needed for the ZL1 convertible and that takes extra time. Wouldn't you rather they take their time and deliver a quality product rather than just churning out half baked crap?

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Kluch

Drives: CTS-V
Wait for the zl1. What's a few more months? What kind of a deal are they offerring on the z06? Is it optioned the way you want or would you be compromising? Don't compromise. Get the car you actually want, not the car you can have now.
Kluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier2 View Post

it is not a case of 'refusing' to build a ZL1 Convertible right away.......the question is: "Do you want one done right?" As Dragoneye, I believe, pointed out, it's not quite as simple as dropping an LSA engine into an SS convertible - far from it. The ZL1 is a track-ready car - capable of superior performance - and we will not rush it.

I'm sorry that you are irritated that you cannot get one right away - but that's the way it must remain: we will not offer it until it's ready.

There was no 'delay.'

You mention that you may settle for a Z06 - -that is not available as a convertible......
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Beck

Drives: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Get the car you actually want, not the car you can have now.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Wait for it. I am 100% sure it will be worth your time in the end.

I TOUCHED the Concept January 9, 2006...and finally got my baby on July 22, 2011. You can make it a little longer.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Wait for the zl1. What's a few more months? What kind of a deal are they offerring on the z06? Is it optioned the way you want or would you be compromising? Don't compromise. Get the car you actually want, not the car you can have now.
Thats good advice, but I would tell him that if you can afford a Zo6, you would be crazy to buy a ZL1 IF you have any aspirations to track the car.
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Honestly if you plan on taking the car to the track get the zl1 coupe or the z06. Most road course events and drag strips frown on or limit verts. I had a 00' camaro ss vert and stiffened it and added all kinds of suspension upgrades to the tune of 60k total into the car including purchase and only got it on a road course once at a hotchkis track day ( they allowed verts) but every drag strip I went to limited me to 13.99 or I was thrown out the car ran 12.90 with the stock motor at 109 with et streets and a moser 12 bolt with 4.10s only no other mods. I purchased the vert because I didn't like the hatch look and boy was I sad to find out I couldn't use the car the way I had hoped so no vert for me this time now that the camaro has gone back to a real trunk
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'StangBlaster5000 View Post
Thats good advice, but I would tell him that if you can afford a Zo6, you would be crazy to buy a ZL1 IF you have any aspirations to track the car.
Now that depends...Would you like to drive home in comfort after your track day? Carry a few people around on your off-days?

ZL1 and Z06 are going to be so close...it just becomes a question of practical-nature, vs esteem...

Unless you get the Z07 package...at which point the argument is over, get the Vette.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Now that depends...Would you like to drive home in comfort after your track day? Carry a few people around on your off-days?

ZL1 and Z06 are going to be so close...it just becomes a question of practical-nature, vs esteem...

Unless you get the Z07 package...at which point the argument is over, get the Vette.
I'm not sold on the "so close" part yet, I could be wrong, but I'm usually not
Either way, I understand your point. Years ago, I wanted to buy a Corvette, I was talked out of it by my parents, their main selling point was, "you can't ever take your friends anywhere" so I bought a beautiful '73 Z28 RS instead....and you know how many times someone was in the back seat?
Once! Although, I find it hard to imagine how we could have possibly..... nevermind.
Things have changed for me and now I have two young boys, which is why I am considering a 4 seater once again instead of a Vette, but to be honest I really can not see a 4000+ lbs ZL1 keeping up around a track vs a 3200 lbs Corvette only making 75 less hp?
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
I used to own a Z06 and have driven Camaro MN6, and even though both are made by the same company, they are two different cars all together. Corvette and Camaro are two different cars.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote