Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgendron71 View Post
I may go to the remote system. I love the sound but two hours at freeway speeds, the drone gets to be a bit much.
Agreed.

After 2 hours the drone can get to me as well.

Dashlogic.......
Performance Mode = Flaps open
Quite Mode = Flaps closed

Best of both worlds.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #30
EvenPrime

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
I tried this 2 days ago and I'm putting the fuse back in. I prefer it the original way.
Car is just too loud and annoying.
I thought it would sound throat-e-er but its more of a bogged out and drowning sound IMO

I'm driving an auto - this may make a difference as it prefers to rock out in 6th when taking it easy
Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #31
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
I pulled the fuse in my first week of ownership. I was thinking I might have to go aftermarket before the fuse pull, but after - oh wow, absolute heaven.

I leave my windows open as often as possible so I can get as much sound from those pipes as I can. I'd be happy with it louder than it is, and I can't imagine that annoying neighbors. That popping and burbling on decel makes me downshift my gears everytime I slow down, not missing a gear so I don't miss a burble. LOVE revving up the engine, to accentuate the sounds for the next few minutes.

I had always wondered what "drone" actually sounds like, and did so much research on aftermarket pipes for my prior vette so I didn't have any. I did notice the difference of sound on the hwy from before/after pull on the ZL1. For the first week I was wondering if I might want the mild-to-wild switch. After 2 weeks I didn't hear it anymore. I commute 2 hours a day, and at this time I notice no drone at all.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #32
revobasher

Drives: 2013 ZL1
You should hear mine..

No fuse
No cats
Kooks headers

It's insanity. Neighbors likely hate me.

And little to no drone believe it or not.. I thought it would be awful but was pleasantly surprised.
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #33
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Drone? Loud and annoying? Wow... I think the exhaust is too quiet even with the fuse pulled. And at highway speeds I don't notice any drone at all. I hear the exhaust, but that's not drone. Drone is harmonic resonance. It's not exhaust sound. Well, at least that's what I call "drone". I had a very modified 1996 Impala SS that the drone at highway speeds would make you nauseous after 2 hours of driving! Not one peep of that in the ZL1.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #34
ac223mal

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I honestly didn't notice much of a difference after I pulled mine. Maybe my ears are bad after years of driving loud cars.
Im with you on that...I put in the remote and couldnt tell when I had it open or closed. So I pulled the fuse...then I put it back in because I couldn't tell a difference.

Maybe I was just expecting more.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #35
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Im with you on that...I put in the remote and couldnt tell when I had it open or closed. So I pulled the fuse...then I put it back in because I couldn't tell a difference.

Maybe I was just expecting more.
Have either of you accelerated to WOT for several seconds at least 6-7? Big difference with the valve open especially in the morning at start up!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #36
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
I have the Forza Componenti exhaust valve bypass controller. I works great. I have Model C1 - the two-way controller (not the new three-way controller). Plug-and-play. $78.50.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #37
ac223mal

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Have either of you accelerated to WOT for several seconds at least 6-7? Big difference with the valve open especially in the morning at start up!
I was hoping that by pulling the fuse or when open with the remote, the car would have that growl that it has upon start up & idle. From the way I interpreted everyone's description that what I was expecting.

I can't tell you how many times if checked the remote connections to make sure it was working, because I couldn't tell a difference when cruising. If I have to be above 3500 rpm to hear it, I might as well keep the fuse in.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #38
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
Drone? Loud and annoying? Wow... I think the exhaust is too quiet even with the fuse pulled. And at highway speeds I don't notice any drone at all. I hear the exhaust, but that's not drone. Drone is harmonic resonance. It's not exhaust sound. Well, at least that's what I call "drone". I had a very modified 1996 Impala SS that the drone at highway speeds would make you nauseous after 2 hours of driving! Not one peep of that in the ZL1.
Yes! Harmonic Resonance. I'm a musician, so I understand. The best way to explain it is this: Every sound you hear has a musician note. Certain things vibrate at a particular note. When the musical note of your exhaust matches the resonant note of a piece in your interior, that piece will vibrate and create that note. I believe that is drone. IMO, I don't think any exhaust can create zero drone.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #39
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revobasher View Post
You should hear mine..

No fuse
No cats
Kooks headers

It's insanity. Neighbors likely hate me.

And little to no drone believe it or not.. I thought it would be awful but was pleasantly surprised.
Looking to do a similar setup, possibly with SW headers instead. Do you have a video or sound clip of this?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #40
Gizmo

Drives: ZL1
From what I understand, the valves open at start up and idle with the fuse in. The only difference is that range between just over 1000 rpm up to 3500 rpm partial throttle where the valve is normally closed. I can notice it a little bit from 3000-3500 with the fuse pulled as that range keeps the valve closed without the fuse pull. Other than that and a few more burbles, there's not much difference to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
2014 BRM ZL1 #229
Rotofab, VMax, Moroso, MGW
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #41
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

The valves basically stay closed when cruising and under mild acceleration.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #42
brhea21

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM
Im with a bunch of you. Im coming from a 2001 SS with MS4 cam, longtubes, no cats and no mufflers. That was loud. And i loved it

I didnt do the fuse pull....my wife did. Ha. I was working on the intake while she did the pull. While it is louder, its still far from loud. You do get the gurgling and popping. That doesnt bother us. Still trying to decide what to do as far as headers or aftermarket exhaust.
brhea21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f8 fuse