Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I know its been more than a month since you posted this but ...

There was another generation of Challenger, between the originals and the current car. The name went on a bit of a hiatus in the mid 70's but it came back for the 1978 model year, and was indeed much smaller and lighter than the original -probably because it was based off of a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi:

Just when you think the late 70's couldn't have been any worse for cars, you find things like this.
wow..........thats just plain gross
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
It makes me wonder if the CODE 130R that came out today might become the new Chevelle?
That looks like a cross between a one series BMW and a Mazda.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey92 View Post
sorry dont have the source off hand. but i remember reading it on some website. not sure which one, and for all we know it could be a rumor, but i remember readint that gm trademarked "Chicane" as a viehicle name as well as the chevelle, and that toyota trademarked the surpa name again. ill try to find the website again though
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey92 View Post
sorry dont have the source off hand. but i remember reading it on some website. not sure which one, and for all we know it could be a rumor, but i remember readint that gm trademarked "Chicane" as a viehicle name as well as the chevelle, and that toyota trademarked the surpa name again. ill try to find the website again though
They could also just be renewing them so that nobody else can use it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #33
DaBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They could also just be renewing them so that nobody else can use it.
This is likely the truth. I just cant see Chevy having another 2 door or even a 4 door car. If they decided to retire the impala name for a while, i could see them making a Chevelle, but not both at the same time.

You cant have Camaro, Chevelle, Implala, and Cruze. It would simply bee too many cars for these times.

The sad fact is that in order to have a Chevele they would have to retire the Camaro name again ( if it was a 2 door) or Impala (4 door).
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #34
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
The Barracuda.
Attached Images

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #35
DaBears

I cant wait to see what 2014 brings. All new 50th anniversary Mustang, new Camaro, and new Barracuda? Should be fun times.

It shouldnt be too long before we start seeing spy shots of said vehicles, no? Generally they start testing total redesigns around 2 full years before release dont they?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I cant wait to see what 2014 brings. All new 50th anniversary Mustang, new Camaro, and new Barracuda? Should be fun times.

It shouldnt be too long before we start seeing spy shots of said vehicles, no? Generally they start testing total redesigns around 2 full years before release dont they?
+/-...We didn't see spy photos of the 5thgen until about 1 year out...And you also need to take the production year "targets" with a grain of salt this far out...those can change and nobody but the manufacturer will know...
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #37
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Exciting stuff! Next thing you know they'll be talking about bringing back a Firebird!
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
This is likely the truth. I just cant see Chevy having another 2 door or even a 4 door car. If they decided to retire the impala name for a while, i could see them making a Chevelle, but not both at the same time.

You cant have Camaro, Chevelle, Implala, and Cruze. It would simply bee too many cars for these times.

The sad fact is that in order to have a Chevele they would have to retire the Camaro name again ( if it was a 2 door) or Impala (4 door).
Don't forget the Malibu, Corvette, Sonic, Volt, or (coming soon ... I think), the Spark
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
It makes me wonder if the CODE 130R that came out today might become the new Chevelle?
I hope not. IMHO, an economy minded "sports car" with the engine out of the Sonic/Cruze Eco is not worthy of a name once carried by the car that brought us the LS6 454.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I would love to see them keep the Challenger as a large coupe, and offer the Cuda and the flyweight performance competitor. The curent Challenger has the distinction of being able to seat 4 adults comfortably and carry a weeks worth of luggage for them. IMHO, there is still a market for such personal coupes (THey sell like 30k a year which isn't bad considering it shares a platform and production facility with 3 other cars (CHarger, 300, and Lancias version of the 300). I would love to see a modern take on the CHevelle and Ford Gran Torino too.
I'd be surprised if this new Cuda, assuming it is going to be produced at all, gets sold along side the Challenger. The future of either car depends on Chrysler's more mainstream, higher volume cars. I think it is unlikely Chrysler will have enough room for 2 separate RWD platforms in their lineup. If they really are serious about a smaller RWD platform and this Cuda, that probably means the Cuda replaces the Challenger, and the Charger/300 (or their replacements if those names are not carried over) move to the new platform as well.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #40
mikey92

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Transformers Edition
Quote:

i didnt consider the fact that they could be renewing it so someone else would be prohibited from using it. and apparently neither did the site i read it on (which i have yet to find :( ) and the only way i could see the chevelle comng back and camaro staying too would be if like you said, the made the chevelle a 4 door (which would be good to comabt the charger) and leave the camaro to the mustang and challenger.
mikey92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #41
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Exciting stuff! Next thing you know they'll be talking about bringing back a Firebird!
I am not gonna lie if GM finds a way to bring Pontiac into the picture I might get a Firebird. I love the Camaro but I love Firebirds as well...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #42
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I hope not. IMHO, an economy minded "sports car" with the engine out of the Sonic/Cruze Eco is not worthy of a name once carried by the car that brought us the LS6 454.

I'd be surprised if this new Cuda, assuming it is going to be produced at all, gets sold along side the Challenger. The future of either car depends on Chrysler's more mainstream, higher volume cars. I think it is unlikely Chrysler will have enough room for 2 separate RWD platforms in their lineup. If they really are serious about a smaller RWD platform and this Cuda, that probably means the Cuda replaces the Challenger, and the Charger/300 (or their replacements if those names are not carried over) move to the new platform as well.
One thing you have to keep in mind, with the fiat alliance and partial ownership they can do a new platform AND keep the current platform alive and for the larger cars. Remember a new platform does not have to be just for Chrysler and Dodge and SRT, there is also Alfa, Lancia, Fiat, Ferarri, etc. The rumor is the smaller platform would cover the new Cuda, Alfas, and possibly a smaller Chrysler. The Charger and 300 aren't going anywhere and they aren't getting smaller, though another rumor is a completely new large car platform is being developed for them. I don't see whay that if GM can have both the rvised Zeta AND Alpha, that Chysler/Fiat couldn't support 2?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote