Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Mod the ride, or wait to trade in for ZL1?
Mod it. ZL1's are going to be hard to find and overpriced. 33 46.48%
Don't do anything crazy, you're going to want to keep it simple to trade in for the ZL1 38 53.52%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport
Mod my SS or wait and trade in for a ZL1?

So the ZL1 is coming next year and I want one. Money will not be an issue, I'll have post deployment cash for a down payment. I expect these cars flying off the shelves so how feasable will it be to get one?

Should I continue to mod my SS I picked up on June 8, 2010 or just keep her how she is until next year if I can get a ZL1?
5% tint, AC red interior overhead LED, footwell, grill and engine bay lighting, license plate LEDs, reverse LEDs, painted black badges, bowtie, and tail light bezels, Heritage grill, T3 ports with LEDs, T3 splitter with cooler, carbon fiber vinyl hashmarks, TSW Nurburgring wheels, Nitto Invo tires, Hurst shifter, RX 1LE catch can, Rotofab intake, American Racing headers, Flowmaster exhaust, CMS camshaft, 3.91 rear end, BMR suspension, StopTech rotors, steel brake lines 456RWHP 422Tq on Mustang Dynamometer. Built, tuned by Cunningham Motorsports. SD Region SCCA
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
This has to be a tough decision, but I can't imagine I can say anything that will set off a light bulb and give you the golden answer.....

It really comes down to what do you want to do?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
For what you get with the ZL1 its silly to touch an SS. Wait. The ZL1 is MUCH more than just more HP. A completely different car IMO.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't offer any advise on this one...

If I had an SS right now, I can't say I'd be trading for a ZL1....

You can't quite mod an SS to the same "whole package" level that the '12 ZL1 will be. But you can still do some awesome things. Huge power, great handling, and the look is YOURS to create....If you've got the $$, and you really want a ZL1, go for it. Otherwise, no big deal!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport
Yeah, I'm itching to put some money in my SS, but don't want to if I'm going to trade for the ZL1 next year after deployment. I only have about 4050 miles on my SS!
5% tint, AC red interior overhead LED, footwell, grill and engine bay lighting, license plate LEDs, reverse LEDs, painted black badges, bowtie, and tail light bezels, Heritage grill, T3 ports with LEDs, T3 splitter with cooler, carbon fiber vinyl hashmarks, TSW Nurburgring wheels, Nitto Invo tires, Hurst shifter, RX 1LE catch can, Rotofab intake, American Racing headers, Flowmaster exhaust, CMS camshaft, 3.91 rear end, BMR suspension, StopTech rotors, steel brake lines 456RWHP 422Tq on Mustang Dynamometer. Built, tuned by Cunningham Motorsports. SD Region SCCA
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
WAIT! I was in the same boat as you about 2 months ago, inches away from a $15k mod job and literally almost put down the deposit 1 day... I decided to scrap it and wait for the ZL1 for the following reasons in order:

-Most importantly above all, it comes with a warranty, modding your SS will void yours
-improved looks from the 4 hood scoops, larger spoiler and really cool suede interior, and I want to add LEDs to the bumper ports
-I want a manuel camaro after having my auto now
-Magnetic Ride Control and 1"/2" wider front/rear tires for MUCH BETTER traction
-way more power, at least a full second faster on the 1/4 mile
-prestige of the ZL-1 badging
-and I love quad exhausts and its exhaust note

well those are my reasons, but mostly the warranty, cause if I modded my SS for the $15k (many power + suspension upgrades + cosmetics) and something serious broke, I would not be able to afford fixing it... just my 2 cents...

also, consider the insurance rates on a heavily modified car compared to one from a factory with a warranty ...

me personally... I CAN NOT WAIT till final numbers are released to make sure I can afford it and buy one
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Look at the ZL1.

They have already done what most of us have been wanting all along.

Enjoy your ride as is and then enjoy the new and improved model even more.

My 2¢ worth.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
sed34

Drives: a
man, a lot of posts keep coming up "should I keep my ss or trade to zl1?" And I will answer the same way. It depends on your budget and what you want to do.

About 1/3 of the car has been redone. It seems like they took what people posted to heart. So if you want to (and are going to) upgrade 1/3 of your ss then just get a zl1. It'll be more cost effective. Its completely up to you.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
I would hold off modding and just take that money place in it the bank for
either modding the ZL1 or to make a larger down payment.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
It's all about your desires. Speed Clone vs. Genuine Factory Creation

ZL1 is a historical creation that is coveted in the annals of Musclecars.

If you want a speed creaton of your OWN design, and that satisfies your need, that's your answer! You simply have to know that you will forfeit any inherent value collectors may put on having the "highest performance factory Camaro ever produced". And, keep in mind, is what you are creating/ordering going to be something that will be considered a family heirloom? Hmmm...

I really enjoy seeing custom creations and admire and sometimes wish I could have what they have. One must realize that those type mods are fleeting creations that won't be recognized in tha annals of genuine Factory history, however.

What might be interesting would be for GM to activate the COPO program. It may be activated on a limited basis already (I read some dealers are offering the whole array of engines). But, I don't believe its "official"...

Whatever you decide, do it with quality and attention to detail. Even if that means attention to the options you order on a ZL1 !!

(FYI) I hope to get a ZL1 (with Automatic, thank you!). I always knew GM could produce another vehicle ala 1969, but the government regulations, corporate direction stars don't align like this too often. I am so glad the "GREEN" politics re global warming has died down a bit. The ZL1 may have never "re-Happened"... LOL...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
you will forfeit any inherent value collectors may put on having the "highest performance factory Camaro ever produced".

(FYI) I hope to get a ZL1 (with Automatic, thank you!).
yea, highest performance ever factory camaro until the next generation :P lol

and booo, why automatic on such a classic car like this
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post

Because that's what he wants?

Some guys like playing with their knobs more than others.

(For the record, I'm going manual, and the maxim is valid.)

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
ZL1 all the way. You would have to spend a fortune on aa SS to make it a ZL1. Just the Forged wheels would cost a ton. The MR suspension. Upgradded drivetrain. Supercharger, so much more. And under factory warranty. IF I COULD trade in my SS I wouldn't spend a cent on my SS. But thats not the case. I will enjoy my SS until its gone. Just my 2 cents. I learned after modding several cars. Its a waste of money when the factory does a better job.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
yea, highest performance ever factory camaro until the next generation :P lol

I'm old enough to know that the "next generation" might just be 30-40 years away. It's been 43 yrs since factory produced a Camaro similar to this.

And.... if AUTO's are such "booo" 's to ya, why do all the pro drags use them? Just sayin? Maybe you are just lookin at a myopic view of high shifting road racing. Dunno? But for my liking AUTO is TOPS! Especially on a Classic like this! You know they mated up an Auto in 1969 LS1's too if desired! Check it!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote