Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
True, the 1 LT wheels are only 23lbs each, which is great. Big advantage there vs same var with 20" RS wheels. A 10 lb per side advantage, and almost 240lb rotational mass savings with 1LT vs RS wheel/tire combo. I have driven both many times, and the RS car feels very sluggish, compared to the lighter 1LT wheel equipped car.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
Yohan

Dean: unfortunately, bolt ons dont add up like that. And the car and driver test was with a compact car, mini cooper perhaps. Light car there. The effects on a much heavier car like ours are more pronounced. I have personally tested this myself on my own car. Tried going from my stock LT wheels, to 31 lb wheels, and while car looked nice, IT WAS SLOOOW. Launch sucked, and my.braking decreased, and mpg went down 1.2 mpg. After a week, switched to light TSW wheels, and car immediately felt quicker, lauches much better, brakes better, and mpg back to normal.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #31
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Yohan, how do you figure bolt-ons don't add up like that? How else do they add up? Is math done differently where you live? Ported TB and the HFC's are 24 RWHP combined(I have not seen a dyno sheet for the HFC's taking Solo's word for that, there is a dyno sheet for the before/after TB swap) you are going to get more at the crank and the CAI is stated as 15 HP but does not state whether it is RWHP or not. In my book I will take $1150 worth the bolt-ons for a minimum of 30+ HP(which did and would do again)before I would do $1600 wheels alone at an unknown performance gain with no other add ons. I know those article you posted were for a light car which in my opinion will show more positive results, but I don't think you are going to get as good of results on our 3800 lb car. I also think that what you think you are feeling just isn't there. The only way you are going to convince me otherwise is by showing me data on our cars to the contrary. I just don't think you are going to feel one tenth or even two tenths faster in a quarter mile.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #32
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Each manufacturer's claims for gains for an aftermarket part is calculated using an otherwise stock vehicle. It is true that an already modified vehicle will NOT see the additional gains from additional add-ons to the extent that a stock vehicle would.

It just doesn't work that way.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Yohan

As John B stated, bolt on claimed hp gains don't simply add on like that. Camaro v6 323 hp base + 15hp CAI, +9 hp PTB, + 15hp HFC+ 10hp Catback IS NOT equal to 372 hp gains. Realistically, you'll get around 25-30 hp gains will all the above +/-. Those gains on a heavy RS wheels v6 will not be felt as much either. The darn 32lb RS wheels ARE VERY HEAVY, those gains will not have great effect on launching the car, acceleration, or handling---because the wheels are so heavy for our v6 cars.

Anyone with a 1LT can confirm this. Go ahead and drive, launch from an 1LT with the 23lb alloy wheels, and then try to do the same with RS 20" wheels, and YOU WILL NOTICE the 20" RS car feels HEAVY, sluggish, compared to the 1LT. Try this out for yourself. Compare 60 times, braking distances, etc.

Again, for a car with the heavy 20" RS wheels or 18" heritage wheels, they would defenitely feel immediate improvement by replacing the heavy 20" wheels---better acceleration, braking, agility, handling and MPG, which all cannot be gotten from the above mentioned bolt-on alone.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9608

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-416309.html

Last edited by Yohan; 04-08-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Each manufacturer's claims for gains for an aftermarket part is calculated using an otherwise stock vehicle. It is true that an already modified vehicle will NOT see the additional gains from additional add-ons to the extent that a stock vehicle would.

It just doesn't work that way.

John B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
As John B stated, bolt on claimed hp gains don't simply add on like that. Camaro v6 323 hp base + 15hp CAI, +9 hp PTB, + 15hp HFC+ 10hp Catback IS NOT equal to 372 hp gains. Realistically, you'll get around 25-30 hp gains will all the above +/-. Those gains on a heavy RS wheels v6 will not be felt as much either. The darn 32lb RS wheels ARE VERY HEAVY, those gains will not have great effect on launching the car, acceleration, or handling---because the wheels are so heavy for our v6 cars.

Anyone with a 1LT can confirm this. Go ahead and drive, launch from an 1LT with the 23lb alloy wheels, and then try to do the same with RS 20" wheels, and YOU WILL NOTICE the 20" RS car feels HEAVY, sluggish, compared to the 1LT. Try this out for yourself. Compare 60 times, braking distances, etc.

Again, for a car with the heavy 20" RS wheels or 18" heritage wheels, they would defenitely feel immediate improvement by replacing the heavy 20" wheels---better acceleration, braking, agility, handling and MPG, which all cannot be gotten from the above mentioned bolt-on alone.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9608

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-416309.html
I gathered that adding all 3 probably will not get the 39 HP gain which is why I stated a person should see a minimum of 30+ HP. Granted I understand you would not see the full 39 HP. I guess the biggest point I was trying to make was that even if a person still only sees even a 25 to 30 HP gain I would take that over spending $1600 on a set of 7 lb lighter wheels as I think the HP would be felt more than just adding the wheels. Bad thing is I did each mod separate and didn't notice that much of a difference after adding and I am sure I would feel the same if it were the wheels also. I maybe would have noticed a bigger change in felt HP of I had done them all at the same time.

If I could find a stock RS and a stock 1LT to compare I would but that is just not possible where I live as there are only a handful of Camaro's within a 100 miles and I don't know who owns any of them.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
Cpaint9041

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
the total gain is not something im too worried about, really throttle response is something I must have a pet peeve for and sound. obviously hp gain is great, but like I said Im not expecting the world
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I gathered that adding all 3 probably will not get the 39 HP gain which is why I stated a person should see a minimum of 30+ HP. Granted I understand you would not see the full 39 HP. I guess the biggest point I was trying to make was that even if a person still only sees even a 25 to 30 HP gain I would take that over spending $1600 on a set of 7 lb lighter wheels as I think the HP would be felt more than just adding the wheels. Bad thing is I did each mod separate and didn't notice that much of a difference after adding and I am sure I would feel the same if it were the wheels also. I maybe would have noticed a bigger change in felt HP of I had done them all at the same time.

If I could find a stock RS and a stock 1LT to compare I would but that is just not possible where I live as there are only a handful of Camaro's within a 100 miles and I don't know who owns any of them.
I've made this comparison. I have the 1LT wheels and my buddy got the RS wheel replicas from discount tire. When we took it to the drag strip, I beat him by a good .2. All mods the same. After 3 or 4 passes, we traded cars and ran them again. He said my car felt like it accelerated a lot easier and even braking was better. I had to agree. Driving the car with the 20" replicas was a huge difference. It felt heavy and sluggish. And this was with the replicas which are lighter than the OEM RS wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpaint9041 View Post
the total gain is not something im too worried about, really throttle response is something I must have a pet peeve for and sound. obviously hp gain is great, but like I said Im not expecting the world
For throttle response, I'd do the ported throttle body.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
New exhaust system is what I did when I had money burning a hole in my pocket.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
Yohan

Capt---for a v6 w/ RS wheels, wanting more off line acceleration/punch and sound,going the bolt on route: CAI, PTB wpuld probably be best place to start, and then follow up with exhaust upgrade. Great budget catback is the "Solo" catback, or just get axle back like Dynomax VT or MRTv2.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #39
Yohan

Another great option would be the FSP tune. Their dyno sheets show impressive low end power gains for our LFX, which is exactly what these heavy cars need for better acceleration.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Hey Yohan, do you happen to have a list of some of the lighter (23 pounds or less) rims we can throw on the Camaro? I'm considering a light set of 19 or 20 inchers....
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I see....
Attached Images

Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
Hey Yohan, do you happen to have a list of some of the lighter (23 pounds or less) rims we can throw on the Camaro? I'm considering a light set of 19 or 20 inchers....
Sure, PM sent.