Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Lawdog86

Drives: 2011 2SS Black w/Orange Stripes
Best car audio speakers?

What are the best sounding replacement car audio speakers? I am looking to upgrade my front/rear speakers, I currently have a 12W7 in the trunk but I still want better sound. I am not as concerned with the cost as much as sound quality. I really do listen to everything, but i prefer Rap/R&B, Country then everything else. Thanks
Lawdog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
I would hate to put it this way but you are asking for a very opinion based answer. what i would recommend doing is know what your budget is, go to a few different audio stores and see what they have and listen to it. What may sound good to you may sound like crap to me.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog86 View Post
What are the best sounding replacement car audio speakers? I am looking to upgrade my front/rear speakers, I currently have a 12W7 in the trunk but I still want better sound. I am not as concerned with the cost as much as sound quality. I really do listen to everything, but i prefer Rap/R&B, Country then everything else. Thanks
I agree with the post above about listening as speaker taste varies from person to person... My recommendations are to listen to Focal, Hertz and Audison. How do you plan to power these speakers. You will need a good amp for any of these.
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Clean up your signal and speaker sound quality will improve.
I have a Bit one processor on stock BA speakers sound is greatly improved with stock head unit.
also added Audison LRx multi channel amp and Audison Thesis Sub.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
What's the "BEST"????

no idea.....

JL 650 C2's are fine for me....a new amp makes more diff than speakers in a BA system...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
When you start talking high end speaker set up it all comes down to the install you can speakers that cost a lot but have a Jaked up Install. I would go you your local store shop and take a lessen to there high end component set up and deside what is right for you and what you won't your car to sound like there are a lot of options. But if was me I would use the jl zr1 and the jl hd amp
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Lawdog86

Thanks guys, as I said before, I really don't care about cost of the speakers its more the sound quality, i do agree what sounds good to one does not sound good to another. I have always thought JL makes the best sub, i have owned JL for over 20 years, i have the same pair for probably 10 years. I currently have a JL 12W7 powered by the JL Slash 1000/1v2, and I have the BA system running of the JL XD400/4, which is what i would probably stick with unless i need a bigger amp. I am looking for opinions, I live in Italy right now and they really don't have car shops around, I trying to weight the opinion of you guys on here. I am swaying between JL speaks and Focal, just on prior knowledge, but again just looking for opinions. Thanks again Camaro forum brothers.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Thanks guys, as I said before, I really don't care about cost of the speakers its more the sound quality, i do agree what sounds good to one does not sound good to another. I have always thought JL makes the best sub, i have owned JL for over 20 years, i have the same pair for probably 10 years. I currently have a JL 12W7 powered by the JL Slash 1000/1v2, and I have the BA system running of the JL XD400/4, which is what i would probably stick with unless i need a bigger amp. I am looking for opinions, I live in Italy right now and they really don't have car shops around, I trying to weight the opinion of you guys on here. I am swaying between JL speaks and Focal, just on prior knowledge, but again just looking for opinions. Thanks again Camaro forum brothers.
Personally didn't like the sound on JL audio for mids and highs. I agree with you about there subs though. Love my JL Sub it is clean and tight. Out of JL and Focal it is no contest (at least to me) focal is a much better speaker for mids and highs (also more money though). You should try to get focals K series if you go focal because they are made in France instead of china. BTW has to be a blast to drive a Camaro around Italy
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Get the Focals while you are over there if you can - much better prices on them in Europe. If I were you, I'd price some Mosconi AS series amps while I was there too. They are made in Italy, and they are incredible amps.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Lawdog86

Thanks guys, for the advice, i have always heard focal makes the best car audio speakers, but again im partial to JL. Unfortunately my car is still in the states, i keep buying new toys for my car so when i return I can finish all the mods to include a supercharger, but yes Italy is amazing and i know for a fact my wifes Chevy Cruz LTZ will do 124 mph on the highway!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
BengalZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Most of these responses are correct, it is going to be a matter of opinion for most people. However if you want to find the "best speakers" then you'll have to do a bit of research. Check all the speakers you are interested in and check for quality reviews, how they are made, what they are made of and for me, and the most important one... Is your frequency response. Having a speaker with a wider range of speaker response will allow you to have great sound no matter what genre of music you are listening to. Make sure you run sufficient gauge wires and use proper connections, don't splice and tape. And power them properly. For me, infinity kappa series speakers are my go to.
BengalZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Ive run Rockford fosgate power series and Memphis MClass in my last 3 car audio show cars and they love a lot of power run to them. Very loud and clean sound at any volume, just make sure to dynomat you doors.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote