Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Who out there DOESN'T want FI (turbo) ?

Is it just me, or is there anybody else that doesn't want a, s/c t/c what have you, on the 'maro? by all means i want a 500 hp top model, but i want it on the engine. and as for all those who just have to have a blown engine and want to keep their factory warranty, what if gm made a s/c in their after-market performance branch as an accessory???
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I don't know, There's a lot of extra stuff to be done when you bolt on a blower. the fuel system, the ignition, possibly the throttle body. And much more depending on how much boost you want to make. I gues I don't want all the cost and head aches of doing all that aftermarket. I'd feel much better about having it out of the box ready to wail with the factory warrany. That way I can drive it as hard as I want and it's covered. Now after the warranty expires. I'll be looking for 600 rwhp to start. Just my thoughts.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
usmc320

Drives: RX-8
I'm with you. I'd rather have 500 all motor than 500 FI. I hope GM will sell a warrantied S/C aftermarket like Ford does. It'll probably be a mild/medium S/C if that's the case (100-150hp). The fuel system shouldn't be bad to upgrade. The fuel pump should be rated to handle it already. All you should need at most would be new injectors.
usmc320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
The Camaro Team needs to stop all this "GT500 envy". The GT500 is an overweight, underperforming, overpriced, pig. I'd rather my Z/28 wasn't a GT500 clone.
I seriously doubt they'd let the Camaro embody those descriptions. Something inside me just says 'no'. The GT500 is supposedly a benchmark... And we all know Fords were made to be broken! j/k
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
What is all this about warrenty. They cannot void your warrenty for after market parts unless they can conclude that the issue you are having is related to the after market.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
GM acc. need to be installed at a dealership at the time of purchase to be totally covered by warranties, in most cases!!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
... The GT500 is an overweight, underperforming, overpriced, pig. I'd rather my Z/28 wasn't a GT500 clone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I seriously doubt they'd let the Camaro embody those descriptions. Something inside me just says 'no'. The GT500 is supposedly a benchmark... And we all know Fords were made to be broken! j/k
Agreed, Lucky for us the Camaro won't be any of those things.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
I don't care how they get to 500+HP, using the S/C or NA, I know what kind of performance machine I will be getting if Chevy builds it. The GT500 is nice, but it does have some short falls. Thank god it does, cause GM can learn from them and inject their always awesome engineering and run away with the crown. If the GT500 didn't exist would we be having this debate? I am now glad that we are waiting for the new Camaro, seeing how being last into the line up, we have already seen the competitions answers or hand!! THEY HAVE NOT FOUND THE SOLUTION YET, GM WILL!!!!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd rather get the car NA with lots of power. I'd add FI if I wanted a big push to compete a level up.

I don't want my Camaro to beat the competition based on the supercharger. I want to add that to an already dominant motor so I can be assured that no one will catch up by matching mods. For example, if Car A has 500 hp and Car B has 450 hp plus 60 hp from a supercharger, all Car A has to do is add a catback exhaust to match horsepower. I'd want Car A because it starts ahead without FI and stays ahead by adding FI. Besides, any type of FI adds different types of wear to the motor. I know that all parts can be upgraded to compensate for this, but using a car as both a daily driver and a performance machine as I will do for a while makes certain modifications less desirable. Furthermore, FI out of the factory is usually less cost effective than FI in the aftermarket. In the aftermarket, a driver can get more horses per dollar. GM will offer a supercharger kit for the same price as an even better set of engine internals if you go straight to the companies you want to use. Finally, there is no better feeling than building your own street monster. If you put in the research and time to custom build your motor with the right parts, you'll appreciate it more than going to the Chevrolet website and ordering the supercharged Camaro. All you've got to do is not order the top engine trim and save the extra cash for all those mods that separate the top tier from the next step down. When your second string Camaro starts posting better times than your friend's top dog, you'll feel like Drake University did when they got to the NCAA tournament. You'll be a winning underdog. It's a good feeling.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
smokn'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd rather get the car NA with lots of power. I'd add FI if I wanted a big push to compete a level up.

I don't want my Camaro to beat the competition based on the supercharger. I want to add that to an already dominant motor so I can be assured that no one will catch up by matching mods. For example, if Car A has 500 hp and Car B has 450 hp plus 60 hp from a supercharger, all Car A has to do is add a catback exhaust to match horsepower. I'd want Car A because it starts ahead without FI and stays ahead by adding FI. Besides, any type of FI adds different types of wear to the motor. I know that all parts can be upgraded to compensate for this, but using a car as both a daily driver and a performance machine as I will do for a while makes certain modifications less desirable. Furthermore, FI out of the factory is usually less cost effective than FI in the aftermarket. In the aftermarket, a driver can get more horses per dollar. GM will offer a supercharger kit for the same price as an even better set of engine internals if you go straight to the companies you want to use. Finally, there is no better feeling than building your own street monster. If you put in the research and time to custom build your motor with the right parts, you'll appreciate it more than going to the Chevrolet website and ordering the supercharged Camaro. All you've got to do is not order the top engine trim and save the extra cash for all those mods that separate the top tier from the next step down. When your second string Camaro starts posting better times than your friend's top dog, you'll feel like Drake University did when they got to the NCAA tournament. You'll be a winning underdog. It's a good feeling.

I couldn't have said it better myself! That's my thoughts exactly. For those that are indifferent of where their ponies come from, when it come to top end, it makes a difference. And your right blur, i would much rather have a slightly less powerful straight motor and slap a blower on and easily be pulln' 600 rwhp!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
usmc320

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
What is all this about warrenty. They cannot void your warrenty for after market parts unless they can conclude that the issue you are having is related to the after market.
Right. According to the law, the burden of proof is on them to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem. The consumer shouldn't have to prove the aftermarket part didn't cause the problem. Most of the time, though, you end up getting met with dealerships that try to deny your claim b/c of the parts, hoping you'll either pay or go away. Then you have to go through the hassle of arguing with them, possibly threaten legal action, etc. Not many people want that hassle.
usmc320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Then really, really hope for the LS3 engine. stock it is rated for 430hp/424lb-ft
With the optional exhaust it is 436/430.

GM has a hot cam swap for ithe LS3 (coded as the LS376) the retains EFI and pumps the out put to 480hp/475lb-ft.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1224&engCat=ls

Possible Applications*
·It looks like "just an LS", but you know the truth
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
smokn'

^as awesome as that would be, i would much rather have an l76 that was tuned up. i don't care so much about afm, but i would really like vvt and flex fuel. i'm sure gm could tune that baby up to at least 400 ponies. oh, and for the record, it's not so much the gas efficiency i want, but i like the idea of having something that will still run if gas is too expensive to buy or non existent. and i would love a wider powerband(vvt).
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
LS3 isnt guarranteed to have AFM. Thats been the biggest problem to our belief that the LS3 is coming. I want this engine I really do. I think its perfect for the Camaro. However, while it fits all of the perfomance # we have heard from GM and has been tapped for use in other production Vehicles, the LS3 at present does not have AFM.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote