Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Camaro Rear Toe Link failure, and the Pfadt solution

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to follow up on some information about the Camaro Rear Toe Link Brace we are offering. Below is a photo I took of a bent Rear Toe Link from a Camaro after the GS race at Daytona this past weekend. To compare, I have also posted a CAD image of what it should look like in stock form. At the GRAND AM Continental Tire Challenge race, several of the Camaros were involved in minor incidents. The common failure point and race ender for the cars was this. The Pfadt stiffening brace is designed to strengthen this weak factory piece tremendously. Just take a look at our previous thread to see how much!

More info on the Pfadt solution to this weak point is in this thread here :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60640
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54813

And as always, just give us a call if you need more info, or have any questions.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 03-10-2010 at 12:57 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Also for those who are worried about the small amount of fabrication, we are helping many customers out an sending exchange cores, already welded to help save some time!

This is an awesome valued product, and suspension/chassis upgrade.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
What is the weight difference between these and the full replacement part?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Hi axis,

We have not weighed any competitors arms so we can not compare. We currently are finalizing the Pfadt carbon rear control arm designs, so we are not sure how it will compare in weight against that piece either. If we get any more info, we will be sure to post it up!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
68RSZ

Drives: 68 RSZ & 2010 SS2RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Also for those who are worried about the small amount of fabrication, we are helping many customers out an sending exchange cores, already welded to help save some time!

This is an awesome valued product, and suspension/chassis upgrade.

Regards
What are you charging for the upgraded toe links, and how do you do the core? You send upgrade and I send back stock?

Also for Pfadt-

any update on these? ---> Pfadt carbon rear control arm designs

Thanks
68RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Just so I can understand better...

Are these only really a problem if there is contact or collision in this area? If nothing happens unless there's a collision, I'm not as worried, but otherwise...

Also - so you are offering an upgrade kit to modify the OEM arm, yes? Why not just fabricate a replacement? I'm just wondering
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RSZ View Post
What are you charging for the upgraded toe links, and how do you do the core? You send upgrade and I send back stock?

Also for Pfadt-

any update on these? ---> Pfadt carbon rear control arm designs

Thanks
Hi 68RSZ, I'm sure Brandon's core charge will be about the cost of a set of OEM toe arms from GM, in case his customers don't send back the OEM arms. And that would be exactly how it works, where they send the upgraded arm, and charge you for the bushings, arms (core), and control arm stiffener assemblies. Then you send the OEM arm back, and get the core charge refunded.

Due to the response on our existing arm solutions (stiffeners, bushings, adjustable toe arms, steel rear trailing arms etc.) we have made the Carbon Control Arms a lower priority than other projects at the moment. We have had a tremendous amount of response from those pieces, and don't feel that the Carbon Arms are mandatory for the moment, compared to what we already offer.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Just so I can understand better...

Are these only really a problem if there is contact or collision in this area? If nothing happens unless there's a collision, I'm not as worried, but otherwise...

Also - so you are offering an upgrade kit to modify the OEM arm, yes? Why not just fabricate a replacement? I'm just wondering
Hi radz282003, the toe arm is an integral part of the suspension under a variety of circumstances. A collision is obviously one of them. Others would be launching at the drag strip, or transient cornering, just to name a few. Under these conditions, the arms, along with the bushings, will deflect in an axial direction (via arm), as well as laterally (via bushing).

As we have shown with our FEA of the OEM arm, the effects of these conditions can be severely decreased by using the control arm stiffener, in conjunction with our bushing kit for the toe arms. It is an excellent solution that offers the best bang-for-the buck value.

We attacked this area with multiple solutions, for various budgets. Because the OEM arm lent itself to being boxed in so easily, this was the first thing we considered. It wound up as an ultra low cost solution for customers.

We also have a bolt in arm, that is stronger, and MUCH lighter than OEM, that is adjustable, and is an even better solution. We have had a lot of great feedback from these arms. Check the pic below! Let me know if you need any more info!