Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
3szoom

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
How Much Will Coilovers Help?

Hey All,

I have a 2011 2LT Camaro with the RS package, and I'm curious to know how much a set of coilovers will make the suspension tighter.

I was really happy with my Camaro's handling until my wife bought a New Mini Cooper S last week. I know that the Camaro is not a Mini (nor do I want it to be) but I love that riding on rails feeling that the mini gets.

I'm looking at putting on a set of coilovers to try and get that experieince, but can I get some feedback from those of you that have done this? Does putting the coils make that big of a difference or is it just the weight/size of the car that limits the handling?

Also, can any of you recommend any other alternatives that might be less expensive to help achieve this? Thanks for your replies in advance. Thanks!
3szoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
they make a huge difference. the great benefit of coil overs is to have the adjust ability though. with new sways, and other supporting mods, you would be stunned on the difference.
Cheap way,
sways, lowering springs(with higher spring rate), bushings, end links...
but will never be totally the same as coil overs. You kinda have to be racecar driver to really be able to tell the difference between the cheap mods and the coil overs though

http://www.************.com/20cahopa.html

http://www.************.com/pdaftracing.html
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Coil overs make a BIG difference but I would suggest starting with sway bars and perhaps lowering springs. They will make a world of difference for a lot less money.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
3szoom

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Cool, thanks guys!
3szoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
I bought BC coil over ER series and whiteline(might be whiteside) front and rear sway bars for a total of just under $2500 and it is like riding on rails. I also got wider tires, 305/35/20 rear and 275/40/20 front. Total spent with bigger tires and wheels about $3900 total but I bought some used and did it over a period of about 12 months.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Just understand that no matter what you do.....your Camaro isn't going to become a Mini Cooper...(thank god)....as her car has an immense difference in weight.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
before you buy coilovers get your self a pedders street 1 kit, that will instantly make your camaro better... if you want more upgrade to the pedders pace car kit and call your suspension done. that is a complete kit that will put your camaro on rails. for that street/highway driving you do there is nothing better, i drive it Everyday and my ride is amazing i drive the wheels off my car pushing 105 in a nice highway turn with out any under or over steer it goes right through and I'm still on snow tires and i maintain my own lane
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote