Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
It would be really interesting to see how far apart the gears are and how large the variation of gearing is between first and sixth on the auto (My SM465 blows away an NV4500 for span). I still like metal to metal without the fluid in my drive train, but can understand and appreciate constant velocity transmissions and high performance automatics.

I'm going to likely put a 5.7L or 5.3L in my Jeep and keep my SM465 behind it simply because off road I like the crawl ratios. In my sports cars I like a few more gears and closer ratios.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sorry to throw a wrench in the gears here(no pun intended), but GM has changed the Manual VS Auto argument with their 6L80 paddle shifter tranny...

I plan on getting this, though only time will tell. But with the 6L80, you get the best, if not better of both worlds. When you want it, you get the convience and easy-shifting of an Auto. But when you need it, you click into Sport/paddle mode and tap your way past the manuals. Because you get control over when you shift without the time it takes a manual to shift from, say 2nd to 3rd.
I'll try to takle the corner/power issue, too. When in sport mode, the tranny will not upshift to overdrive while cruising, so you get the power you need for coming out of corners. And won't downshift for you unless in danger of stalling...

Odd 6L80 facts in my head:

6L80 is GM's newest 6 speed Automatic transmission, with versatile options including rear-mounting ability with no massive changes, driver shift selection(paddle), and more.
It will last longer than average Autos due to a clutch to clutch operation.
It is built for power with forged innards
Paddle mode gives driver complete control over shifting. Only if danger zones are reached due to driver incompetence, will the tranny shift itself: over-revving, or stalling out.
2007 gets quicker shift response time with the paddles
First gear is a severly steep 4(or so):1 for outstanding off-the-line speed.
2 overdrive gears
6th is .6:1 for amazing top speed potential Vette can cruise 80+ at 2000 rpm's

don't get the idea that I hate manuals, I respect them, A LOT. I've just never driven one, so I don't have the experience to really know what their like (inconvience, performance, etc.) I know what they can do on paper...and this 6L80 blows me away...on paper.
Good find. That is interesting for sure. It's not enough to convince me I'd take an auto over a manual though. But if there are more than an occasional article saying the paddle-shifted car is faster than the rest...well...that's different.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
From basically everything I've read a paddle shift setup is way faster than a human shifting a manual ever could be. I'm on the fence myself on what to get, but if a paddle shift 6L80E is offered I will definitely buy that.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
When paddle shifting is avaliable, is it an extra option or is a feature that comes with when you get an automatic? I ask becuase of cost
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

Drives: 00 trans-am,06 corvette-z06
Send a message via AIM to beerman985
my grand dad has a bmw with paddle shifter and i was an extra and thats all i can say at this time so i may be like that
beerman985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you can get it optional on the automatic C6, with it being standard on the automatic C6 Z06. Automatics in general cost extra over a manual transmission. It's still extremely new with the American automakers, so we will have to see where it goes. Regardless the paddle shift setup is basically garunteed to cost extra over a manual. I've never heard of a BMW with a paddle shift setup. Z8 maybe?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #21
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
with it being standard on the automatic C6 Z06.
Not to nit pick, but there is no such thing as a Z06, be it C5 or C6, that has an auto tranny from the factory. All are built by the General as 6 speed stick manuals.

It is an option on the base C6 Vette. Have a friend who just got one, but have not have a chance to drive it...yet.

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWz28 View Post
Not to nit pick, but there is no such thing as a Z06, be it C5 or C6, that has an auto tranny from the factory. All are built by the General as 6 speed stick manuals.
JWz28.
Right, and a 6-speed automatic is an option on the coupe and vert C6's, not Z06 (those Auto trannys can't handle that kind of power). Paddle shifters are standard on the Automatic option - as is "sport mode".

The paddles on the earlier C6's weren't all that great, but this year GM has fixed that, and from what I've heard they are greatly improved.

As for what I get - I, too am on the fence, and must reserve judgement untill I drive both standard and paddle. But I CAN guarantee this - I'll be ecstatic with either choice!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 AM   #23
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

I stand corrected. You guys are right. There is no auto Z06. They only come in manual, and have lots of problems with sticking clutch pedals. It is to the point that people are changing the fluid out once a month. Also the 6L80E apparently shifts faster, but is overall slower due to more parasitic loss from the transmission itself. There is rumors of the paddle shifted 6L80E being tested in a Z06, but nothing official on production or even testing. I found a pretty good thread about it on a Corvette forum. Here's the link:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad.php?t=93791

Last edited by AFSNightrod; 06-06-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:31 AM   #24
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

I also learned that some of the M cars from BMW do have a paddle shifted tranny, but it is not an automatic. It is actually a paddle shifted manual. I didn't read too much into it, but this tranny is supposed to be awesome. Like all awesome performing stuff though, it is also expensive. Porsche is supposed to be releasing one in the next year or two, and Audi apparently has one. It is mentioned in the thread I posted above.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #25
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
Mitsubishi put's paddle shifters on the Lancer too.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Parasitic loss or not, and keep in mind I love manuals, too. The 6L80 series is freaking awsome!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #27
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
No matter how much the auto may be improved, i will have to stick with a manual unless it is a REAL paddle shifted manual with computerized dual clutch crap. I used to valet park at a polo club and i drove many many cars with the "tiptronic" or paddle shifters and ALL OF THEM took atleast 2 seconds to shift except for the maserati with a real setup! But long story short whenever they make an auto you can shift from the factory, it is all tuned to shift when its "safe" for itself so you wont break things. Maserati FTW lol
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #28
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
No matter how much the auto may be improved, i will have to stick with a manual unless it is a REAL paddle shifted manual with computerized dual clutch crap. I used to valet park at a polo club and i drove many many cars with the "tiptronic" or paddle shifters and ALL OF THEM took atleast 2 seconds to shift except for the maserati with a real setup! But long story short whenever they make an auto you can shift from the factory, it is all tuned to shift when its "safe" for itself so you wont break things. Maserati FTW lol
A family member of mine owns a parking company in SF and I've been parking cars for the opera house/symphony and federal building since I was 12 years old. I still do it on occasion if I feel like waking up to get to work at 6:30 am.

The only true paddle shifters that I've parked/driven were a Maserati and the Ferrari's. The Ferrari's is responsive as hell and feels like it's waiting for you to hit the button so it can shit. It wants to be driven the way you want to drive it. If the General can get anywhere close to that feeling, I will most definately buy a paddle if it's offered. Otherwise, it's slamming (while still under warranty) second and third for me.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote