Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
goldwave84

Drives: Proton Saga
Camaro, the green muscle car?

Hi all

With all the latest in the world of autos, I was giving the idea of a green muscle car from Chevy a good thought. Now seeing that the Camaro is a hit with many, what tech would make it even better? I think it has the potential to be the best selling car, ever.

If they implemented

1) Lightweight aluminum frames combined with their magnesium roof structure
and engine cradle

2) Diesel engines

3) Start stop engines

4) Regenerative braking

5) Gear shift indicators

I truly wonder what kind of millage the Camaro will get with these technologies inside? If we get Chevy to listen to the consumers, their sales will only increase in these hard economic times, boosting Chevys name overall. What do you think?
goldwave84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
weedwacker13

Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
would be great if I could afford all those things, especially the diesel.
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
goldwave84

I guess it can be worked into the car by Chevy, for a small increase in price to the consumer.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Well I agree on the Diesel engine as you can get some serious horsepower with a chip and exhaust but as for the rest... I'd rather see other cars go green like the Volt and the Camaro remain a force to be reckoned with, like the Vette.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I remember "Pimp my ride" did an old Chevelle or something... they droped in a 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel... the thing beat the living shit out of Xzibit's lambo.. it ran like a 12.2 1/4..

I have no problems with a diesel engine... they murder everything else for torque.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
The world is changing FAST.... there may be no CORVETTE and a diesel in a CAMARO

Get em while you can.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
goldwave84

tjbusa- in your opinion, how would adding fuel saving tech reduce its "force to be reckoned'' with?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
The world is changing FAST.... there may be no CORVETTE and a diesel in a CAMARO

Get em while you can.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
goldwave84

Dragoneye, what is your take on a Green muscle car?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Logansneo

Drives: 1967 Camaro (Z28 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwave84 View Post
tjbusa- in your opinion, how would adding fuel saving tech reduce its "force to be reckoned'' with?
How many Mustangs, Challengers, or Corvettes do you see focusing on drastic fuel saving techniques simply to appease those that would regularly be shopping for economy instead of performance?

When I see the Camaro, or any of these other cars I am not concerned with fuel economy. The entire reason they exist is to thrill the driver! Using newer technology to achieve amazing performance and increased driver enjoyment would be great. Neutering a great muscle car to make it green is not great!
Logansneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Dragoneye, what is your take on a Green muscle car?

huh...you don't wanna hear it, bud...You'd have to read a book of a post. Then I'd get flamed, or "emotionally disagreed with". Because all fuel-efficiency and speed cannot exist together. And all performance as we know it is dying as we speak...apparently.

In short -- I believe without a doubt it can be done. Thinking otherwise is...well...it's short-sighted, sky-is-falling attitude. I don't pretend to know how, or through what method. But it's just a matter of time, at this point.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
goldwave84

"huh...you don't wanna hear it...You'd have to read a book of a post. Then I'd get flamed, or "emotionally disagreed with". Because all performance is dying as we speak...apparently."

maybe it's bec its 1am here but I do not get that. Do you mean that people will label it "not a real muscle car"?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
maybe it's bec its 1am here but I do not get that. Do you mean that people will label it "not a real muscle car"?
Some might...but the larger picture here is that the US government is on the brink of increasing emissions standards...yet again. I don't agree with that in the least, but the thought process of performance dying altogether due to it is largely panic-driven. And me...attempting to see a light at the end of the tunnel...doesn't agree with panic. I've tried a few times to propose solutions (it's my nature)...but I've run out of patience. I won't press it on deaf ears.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Tal

Drives: Old
1) I think this is likely to expensive for a Camaro, I do think the next-gen will see work done to decrease weight but it will be hard to tell if increases in safety standards keep up.
2-4) I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these option(s) in a few years, but I wouldn't bet on it.
5) Pointless, 'green' cars of the future will use various types of automatic transmissions.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote