Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Superchargers - Need your thoughts

So I know this is subjective, but what have your experiences been, good and bad with various Superchargers on the market? Any regrets or "wish I would haves" Have any brands come out ahead of others?

Also anyone use all GM part for Supercharging the car?

It's a 2010 M6 SS/RS
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I'd be interested in this too. I'd love to figure out a way to SC and keep some sort of factory warranty.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
nothing beats them for low and midrange tq, but keep iin miind they are hard on the crankshaft and you will be adding 80-100lbs to the front of your car.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
chernmax
I Need a Volunteer!!!

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a MagnaCharger Supercharger and so far it's been a blast, puts down about 500whp and you feel every bit of it if you're not careful! I haven't had the car long enough yet to give a long term evaluation, some discussion I have come across is our stock Catalytic Converters may soon have to be replaced with a high flow Catt because of too much heat turning them to mush!
chernmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
I'd be interested in this too. I'd love to figure out a way to SC and keep some sort of factory warranty.
some (like edelbrock) offer "supplemental" 3 year drive-train warranties for an added cost...but you have to use their tune (which sucks) and can't do any other mods (which also sucks).

You're probably not gonna find a dealer that's going to install a SC and honor your factory 5 year drive-train warranty (hey, if you do, go for it...just get it writing). Even the GM SC that is available (same as the ZR1 blower I think)...has fine print that basically says "for offroad use only, you're crazy if you think you'll still have a warranty". Keep in mind that's just the drivetrain warranty...your original 3 year warranty for everything else should NOT be effected.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Keep in mind.....there are probably over 150 steps to install a SC, so, the experienced "installer" who stands behind their work should play a big role in your decision.....it's not only the hardware!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i have done a lot of research on superchargers and i have found that all of them do the job.i think it all boils down to which one you like.i personally have been leaning towards the whipple.for me it has everything i am looking for.all the guys i know that have blowers,all love them and they all have different brands.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Keep in mind.....there are probably over 150 steps to install a SC, so, the experienced "installer" who stands behind their work should play a big role in your decision.....it's not only the hardware!
199 steps in the Magnacharger install manual.... Very detailed I must say.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
The vortech install manual is flat out awesome...look up my review in FI for a couple tips.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Everyone has a hear say opinion, here's my FACTS.... I just bought a new 2011 LS3 SS in October, the whole time I was researching the car I was also researching superchargers. I choose SLP, the company that has partnered with Chevy/GM for a few decades, and the company that's help making the ZL1. I purchased their Stage 1 SC, 575RWHP, along with a 5/100k Powertrain warranty. The SC MUST be installed by the Chevy dealer or SLP in order for the warranty to be valid. They offer a 3/36k or 5/100k warranty... It IS NOT for off-road use only, it's for every Camaro that's on the road, that has the dealer install it. EVERY Chevy dealer must honor the warranty, yes I've read all the fine print, and it's the same warranty as my GM warranty. It's NOTHING like the Edelbrock E-Force warranty, my warranty is valid at any Chevy dealership....again, as long as my Chevy dealer installed the SC I'm good.

Go to SLP's website, do your research, call them, I can even give you the West Coast regional manager's phone number and he will validate everything I've said & will confirm how SLP & Chevy have been working together for decades, and how Chevy will honor your Supercharged Camaro, again, as long as its installed by the dealer...and if your dealer won't install it, they will provide you with a list of Chevy dealers in every state that will be happy to install it.

My words are actual facts, I'm not speaking from what I've heard from a friend of a friend, whose cousin knows a tech at a dealership....I spent the $7500 for the Stage 1 SC with the Chevy honored 5/100k warranty, and it's getting installed next week by Paso Robles Chevy/Caddy, along with performance springs, sway bars, SLP Loudmouth II exhaust, skip shift eliminator and a tune....ALL COVERED BY CHEVY

This is not fiction, this is fact

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Kronix Be aware the 575HP Kit is Flywheel HP not RWHP A big difference.

Quote:
some (like edelbrock) offer "supplemental" 3 year drive-train warranties for an added cost...but you have to use their tune (which sucks) and can't do any other mods (which also sucks).
+1 Wish there was a better provided tune however I didn't expect Edelbrock to provide a tune/ warranty for something I changed.

Have the Eforce here and love the low profile look under the hood and stealthy operation. Yes the provided tune sucks. My canned tune was supposed to be tweaked for the headers,exhaust and intake and was told the tune would work. Well it worked but not very well.Knew car was running bad but not until yesterday how much was left behind . Look at the FI V8 section at sticky at top. Just posted a dyno run. Huge difference after a good safe tune and more to go after some fuel system upgrades and other goodies. Ran out of injector/fuel a bad thing up top. The provided injectors are just not big enough to handle headers,intake,exhaust. Tuner did some adjustments to make things a bit safer until the parts come in.

Just do thorough research.Talk to different installers and people who have a Supercharger installed and experience with it.Great vendors on here with info only a phone call or e-mail away. What you want to do with the car will help in narrowing down your SC choice.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly

Last edited by SSBUSDRVR; 12-03-2011 at 02:00 AM.
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Warranties are overrated.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Warranties are overrated.

I went with the E-Force as well and am very very happy with the results. However, I wasn't comfortable with just slapping a supercharger on the stock block and rotating assembly. After having a look at the engine with the heads removed and seeing the non existing clearance between the piston and valves, there was no way. The stock LS3 engine is just not conducive to FI. Can it be done sure, is there a risk involved in doing so, you bet there is, one bad tank of gas and you'll be looking for a new engine or at minimum a very expensive repair.

So I went with a forged 416 rotating assembly with blower pistons, larger fuel injectors, custom made dual feed fuel rail, dual fuel pump, upgraded valves and valve assembly, blower cam and tuned for 92. My build is as close to bullet proof as you can get. On an very conservative tune it is making 737 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels at 3700rpm and 666rwhp at 5300rpm all on 8 -12lbs of boost.

A good shop will be able to give you 550rwhp safely on the stock engine. Do your home work before deciding on a Supercharger, they all more or less do the same thing. I like the clean look of the E-Force and it looks like it came from the factory.
Attached Images

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Whipple! With that and bolt ons I'm making 630+RWHP. When I go full forged and go beyond 10 PSI add another 200 RWHP to my number. I chose the Whipple for it's size, because I knew I wanted to go bigger someday soon, 2.3L vs 2.9L.