Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Brake / Clutch fluid pump suggestion

Hey everyone, I just bought a remote clutch bleeder from thekid96 and am wondering what your suggestions are for a vacuum or pump to suck out the old fluid. Also I'm new to this and I'm assuming you fill the reservoir as you suction out the old until you start suctioning clear fluid.

Thanks .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
daphatgrant
June '10

Well I did some more research and it looks like this might do the trick. Any thoughts?

Thanks .

Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
What are exactly trying to do? For seventy bucks I think I could get it done a hell of a lot cheaper depending on what you are wanting to do.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
What are exactly trying to do? For seventy bucks I think I could get it done a hell of a lot cheaper depending on what you are wanting to do.
Cheers
K
Short story is I'll be using it to change the clutch fluid. Here's the whole reasoning. I'm going to add a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid, I don't like the brake fluid and clutch fluid sharing a common reservoir.

So based on this thread I ordered a new brake fluid reservoir (same as I already have except it has a plug where the clutch line would be, part #92234622 . I also ordered a small reservoir for the clutch fluid, part #92065790.

Once both reservoirs are in place I'd like to flush the old clutch fluid out and replace it with new, that's where the remote clutch bleeder I ordered from thekid96 comes in as well as the need for a device to remove the fluid.

I hope this clears it up some .

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I have the Motive pressure bleeder and it is an AMAZING product espcially if you own a C3 Vette BUT it is WAY overkill for bleeding a clutch on a 5th gen Camaro.

The Mighty Vac has a fluid collection resevoir and that would work great if you have one and you can do a lot of other things with it. JMO.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah so you did the same thing I did (new plugged res and a separate res). I havent installed mine yet cause I havent figured out a way to mount my separate res (the GTO one). I think the way one of our other members did it by moving the positive battery cable down puts the res too high up on the shock tower so I am reaching out to see if our cnc fabulous members can come up with a mount.

Anyway I digress as I am off track to your question. I think you may have two ways of doing this one is going ot be easy the other a b*tch.

1. Leave the original Camaro res in place and cap the secondary plug with a 3/8 EDPM rubber plug. This should be resistant to the brake fluid and since your car is relatively new you dont really need to replace the fluid.

Run the clutch line to the secondary res and then cycle per the "Ranger Protocol", look it up.

2. Replace the original Camaro res with your new on that has the secondary tab still in place. This is going to cause you to have to bleed the brakes as the res sits on top of the master cylinder/boost mechanism (I believe). As such get some clear tubing that will fit over the bleed valves on the calipers. Slip the tube over the bleeder and then put it into a mason jar, fill the res with fluid and pump. This is cheap and easy if you have done it before, if not it can be a bugger.

Couple issues.

I dont know how the ABS circuit comes into play. You may want to research this, I understand on some vehicles the ABS circuit can cause issues doing a conventional bleed as I am discribing.

The tube and mason jar is cheap. If you can swing it go to sears and get a mity vac that sears carries that is metal. Has a ton of uses and the metal one will last forever. Again tho becareful drawing a vaccum with the ABS circuit in there.

Finally, you are messing with brake fluid, lots of rags and cover any thing you dont want messed up.

Lastly I am posting this off the top of my head and I havent looked into installing mine yet as I said. I have the service manuals. If you need further input I would be happy to crack the books and look it up for you.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
Once both reservoirs are in place I'd like to flush the old clutch fluid out and replace it with new, that's where the remote clutch bleeder I ordered from thekid96 comes in as well as the need for a device to remove the fluid.

If you have a remote bleeder, pumping the clutch pedal will force fluid out of the bleeder. Just open the valve and stick it into a jar containing enough fluid to keep the bleeder submerged. Them pump the clutch pedal slowly and keep adding new fluid to the reservoir. once you see new fluid coming out of the bleeder, you're done...

If you have a helper, you can just open the bleeder, have friend press down on the pedal to pump fluid out, then close bleeder before friend releases pedal. Repeat until all old fluid out of system.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
turkey baster, suck the reservoir close to dry, fill with new DOT 3,
pump clutch 30 times, suck the reservoir nearly dry, fill with new DOT 3
repeat until clear. 15 minutes $10 DOT3.
Done
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro52010 View Post
turkey baster, suck the reservoir close to dry, fill with new DOT 3,
pump clutch 30 times, suck the reservoir nearly dry, fill with new DOT 3
repeat until clear. 15 minutes $10 DOT3.
Done
Digging up an old post but do you pump the clutch with the car running or off?
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Crime2, it will not matter but I'd rather bleed the clutch with the car cooled down so I don't have to reach up around hot exhaust.

Also I don't think you have to pump the clutch. Just fill the reservoir and open the bleeder valve and it should gravity bleed.

I have a Motive Bleeder that I use, but only when flushing the old brake lines out on my vehicles every few years.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
No need for fancy pump or vacuum's. All you need is an empty bottle and a piece of 1/8" or 5/16" clear tubing depending on the size of the nipple ont he bleeder screw. Put one end of the tube on the bleeder nipple and the other end in the bottle that has enough fluid in it so the tube will be submerged. Crack the bleeder open and then pump the brake pedal until clear fluid comes out. Always start with the bleeder that has the longest run from the reservoir and work your way to the bleeder with the shortest run. Typically in order it is right rear, left rear, right front and then left front.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote