Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Exclamation My Link Screen dimming

I need some advise on the my link screen. As I am driving day or night the screen will dim sometimes to the point you can not see it. I took it to the dealer and they claim it is because I have the side windows and rear window tinted ( 20% ). They said it screws up the sensor. It also happens when I have the roof down.
1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. Where is this so called light sensor located?
3. Any suggestions on how to fix this with out removing tinting?
Pics of my car are in my garage

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Ours dims when the sensor located on the dash sends the signal to turn the cars headlights on. This is the same thing cars have done for years in regards to dash lights. Generally, interior lights are run brighter during daylight than in the night time hours to overcome the brightness of the day. If your tint is making the car think it is night, then it may turn the brightness down as he describes. I think the problem when the roof is down is simply based on all the sun light in the cabin making the screen seem dim. I believe there is an adjustment on the left side of the steering column on the dash to adjust the light brightness. That's about all I can think of to deal with it without removing your tint.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Thank you for getting back to me. I love the tinting so I will live with the dimming.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Thank you for getting back to me. I love the tinting so I will live with the dimming.
I do not have MyLink but it would make sense to me that you would be able to set the defaults for dimming and the extremes that it does dim during the night, etc... just like a normal light dashboard. As it would make sense people would either A. be annoyed by the screen during night or B. can't read it during the day.

Check the manual on it.

With the top down, I doubt that it dims, it's just the sun making it impossible to read. Try reading your cell phone out in the sun
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Mine does the same thing. It is because of the tint. Kind of annoying. There is no setting to fix it.
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
To the op, this makes no sense what your dealer is telling you if you have the problem both day or day. I would find a new dealer.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Storm T
Can't slow down

It makes perfect sense. Mine didn't do it until I got 20% tint also. I'd rather have the tint so I choose to deal with it.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
its not the dealers fault, your faulting them for being right?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm T View Post
It makes perfect sense. Mine didn't do it until I got 20% tint also. I'd rather have the tint so I choose to deal with it.
I could see it during daylight, but the op is saying that it does it at night too. Night is night. Tint or no tint. Plus it should already be dim if it's night. It shouldn't get any dimmer to the point of not being able to see it.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I could see it during daylight, but the op is saying that it does it at night too. Night is night. Tint or no tint. Plus it should already be dim if it's night. It shouldn't get any dimmer to the point of not being able to see it.
It will depend on when the lights come on, which I agree is long before it is actually dark. The night part is confusing.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
Same here, mine now dims after having my tint installed because the car thinks it is night time. Really nothing you can do about it that I knew of.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
motorhead

Everyone, are you reading his post? He is saying it does it at night too. Explain to me how the tint could possibly cause this to happen in the dark and I'll go away. For all of you that is having this happen, I hope you know that your lights are also all coming on if your Mylink is dimming too. At night this all happen right away if it's already dark when you drive you car. So the Mylink shouldn't get any dimmer than it already is.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Storm T
Can't slow down

Not sure what to tell you then. The OP asked if it happened to anyone else and a couple of us say yes. I'm sure he means more at dusk. That' s when the biggest issue is.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
From what it sounds like it is a problem with the sensor on the dash. When I'm in the garage and the lights come on then the MyLink screen will be dim. When I pull out of the garage the MyLink screen is nearly impossible to see for about 15 seconds until the sensor tells the system it is day light. At that point the screen is brighter. Still seems like a sensor issue and it not being able to tell the difference between day and Night. It could also be a BCM (Body Control Module) issue since it controls everything in the car with the exception of the Engine and Transmission.

Have the dealer see if there are any updates to the BCM, and if there are get them installed to see if that helps. If not then the sensor is probably bad.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote