Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #43
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
See I'm having a crisis. I want the super-charged Camaro worse than anything. I'll wait for it to come out. However, I love the way the V8 looked going around the track at Nurenburg(if that was the V8). I just like to get the best deal. According to some rumor, and I hate speculation, it seems that the SC V8 will not have AFM. The standard V8 will giving me a little more room to breath with the gas prices and I pray that some can be done about gas prices by the time this car is released or there will won't be much talk about owning a SC Camaro. With my Current income I'll be fine owning the SC V8 Camaro. But, if gas prices go up even more, I don't think I'll be getting the Top Dog. I'm really down about gas prices. Most guys in here at on average of 10 years younger than me. That puts you guys at about 19 to 21 years old. I've got a wife, kid, and mortgage. Every dollar counts. I'll be 30 when this car comes out. I want that SC V8! I thought I had this economy thing figured out. I need a pep talk guys!
What is AFM ?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'll be lucky to afford a V8. Right now, I'm banking on a sick RS with plenty of aftermarket. Expect a motor swap in the distant future if I get a V6.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #45
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What is AFM ?
Active Fuel Management. Since you don't need all 6 or 8 cylinders to go 30 mph, it shuts some of them off temporarily for better gas mileage.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #46
1stgenSS

Drives: 67ss396
big block

i want a the gmpp 572 w/6-speed = 720 hp with 750 ftpnds. tourqe...will add the blower later who wants some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1stgenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #47
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
What I don't understand with everybody clamering over the LSA is why is that the top goal for an engine? I believe that the common understanding from GM is that the top dog is out almost a year after the introduction.

I think the quote is "FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT ENGINES"

I am looking for an S/C version of a GEN V engine, why is there no discussion of this wont GEN V be out by the end of next year? Why not an S/C GEN V???
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #48
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Who ever said for sure that there will be a SC verison from the factory.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #49
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
No body has officially said it. We do know that at least one mule car has a blower on it... So, we are helpful it will be a LSA or possibly the mysterious LS8.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #50
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
Super Charged Z28?

I do not care if they call it an SS or a Z28 I just want the power! If I had to take a quess the supercharged version will be out some time around the time the convertible will be released, or a little after. No matter how long it takes I am waiting until the BIG DAWG COMES OUT! I will go on record that I think they will install the CTS V motor in the Camaro SS or Z28 or maybe ZL1? Who cares about the name show me the POWER!!!
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #51
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i cant wait that long for the z so im getting the ss. but i think i will buy a z when it comes out also. i have been thinking long and hard about this and i think im going to buy the ss when it comes out and have the z28 be the second car in my newly formed car collection.and i will keep the z28 stock and modify the ss.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #52
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
What I don't understand with everybody clamering over the LSA is why is that the top goal for an engine? I believe that the common understanding from GM is that the top dog is out almost a year after the introduction.

I am looking for an S/C version of a GEN V engine, why is there no discussion of this wont GEN V be out by the end of next year? Why not an S/C GEN V???
That's what I've been wondering. I think everyone just wants to fantasize for now. Then, when the engines are announced, (we should know late July) we can talk about those and what we want to do with them.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'd advise you not to use the base Corvette as a performance ceiling for the "Top Dog" Camaro.

And here's the release that where Ed Peper (Not Bob Lutz, though I think I remember him mentioning this once before, too) flat out said they aren't worried about stepping on the Corvette:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/11/d...with-ed-peper/

Quote:
Autoblog: Let's change gears and talk performance. Obviously, there's Corvette, but let's stay away from that for the moment and focus on the Camaro. You've already mentioned the convertible concept which obviously telegraphs your intent to do a production version.
Ed Peper:
Yes.

Autoblog: The styling's been a hit for both the coupe and the convertible. How closely are you looking to match the concept's styling -- especially the interior -- on the production version of the Camaro.

Ed Peper:
It's going to be very, very close. I have seen the production coupe, and if you saw the two of them side by side -- the production coupe and the concept coupe we introduced last year -- you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It is very minute. I mean, obviously you have to make some exceptions when translating a concept to production, but it's going to be very, very close. This is not like a wild concept that we come back and can't realistically build the same sort of vehicle for production. No, it is going to be very close.

Autoblog: Have you guys arrived at a final decision for the top powertrain?

Ed Peper: No, not yet. We will have a V8, a couple of V6s -- you know, we'll have a fuel efficient V6 and we'll have a high performing V6 and we will have a high performing V8 but we haven't settled on the engine in that yet.

Autoblog: 500 horsepower appears to be the magic number with the musclecars that the other manufacturers are coming out with, so is that your target?

Ed Peper: Certainly we haven't made a decision yet, but it's in our scheme – it's in our scheme of thoughts, yes.

Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?

Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.

The dealers just can't get enough of them and, you know, we intentionally in some ways want to keep it that way because we want to make them very, very tight and hard to get and that is what builds a really strong brand.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #54
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post

Wasn't that quote said 2 or 3 years ago?? If it was we already knows there was couple engine put on hold since then.
"everything you think you know about engine"..So gen V is flux capacitor ... just kidding
I would like to see gen V engine in camaro when it comes but taking GM financial status at the moment i don't think this is on top of their priorities at the moment.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #55
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
Need the Super Charged Camaro

I am waiting util the S/C Camaro comes out. If GM doesn't come out with a S/C motor I may have to buy a Z06. It kills me to say that but I want power!!!
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #56
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd advise you not to use the base Corvette as a performance ceiling for the "Top Dog" Camaro.

And here's the release that where Ed Peper (Not Bob Lutz, though I think I remember him mentioning this once before, too) flat out said they aren't worried about stepping on the Corvette:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/11/d...with-ed-peper/
Thanks for finding this.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote