Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
And in Gen 4 times the SS was TOP DOG.
Not exactly. When the 4th gens were designed, the Z28 was intended to be the top Camaro. SLP went and added onto the Z28's that GM built, but they were still Z28's. It was not a distinct model made by Chevrolet, but rather like the Shelby Mustang GT (not GT500).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #30
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
The Z/28 was the RPO code for the "Special Performance Package" option on the 1967 Camaro. At that time, there was no external "Z/28" badging. The heart of the package was an engine specifically designed by GMs High Performance Engine group for one purpose: to win the National Trans America race.

The TransAm race circuit had a limit of 305 cubic inches for engine displacement. So, the engineers designed a 302 Cu in. engine. The idea was to get as much horsepower as possible within the limit. How do you do that? Big carburetor (800 CFM), big intake valves (2.02 in.),very high compression (11:1), big exhaust. In other words, get as much fuel in as possible, compress it as hard as you can, and get the spent fuel out as fast as possible. At first, the car was not planned for retail sale.

GM believed that winning the TransAm would result in better Camaro sales. They were right. The Camaro won several years. It was such a big hit that GM began badging the car as a Z/28 in 1968. The rest is history.

So, it wasn't the biggest engine (it was a small block) and it didn't have the highest horsepower (that was reserved for the big blocks), but it was arguably the strongest small block built at the time.

Last edited by jmcbeth; 09-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #31
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
IMO throw out everything you knew about past Camaro's and think of it this way. The Z06 and ZR1 are the highest Vette's, the Z28 will be the highest Camaro. No other Chevy can be a Z06 other than a vette and no other can be a Z28 other that a Camaro.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #32
Bear

Drives: 2015 Green Flash 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
I 2nd that! Its true!! Dont you wish those days were still around ....
"Yes, I'd like my Camaro with the LS9 please, and why dont you go ahead and throw in that magnetic suspension and that sexy ZR1 blue paint while you are at it...."

LMFAO at that one. That sh!t was funny. Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #33
camaro6662

Drives: Camaro SS 35th LE/PE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I was taking a step back and looking at the history of the badge ... I suppose I should have been a bit clearer. Either way, yes the SS Camaro's were the ones with the big honkin' engines while the Z28's had those impressive little 302's.
you need to add that No Z/28 67 thru 72 NO A/C
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #34
Emjay
Camaro Obsessed

Drives: 1973 z28 1989 iroc 1995 z28
Send a message via AIM to Emjay
Certain years the SS model doesnt compare. Engine wise at least there were a few extrs order options for the z28 ack in the day. Example and the list
67,68,69,70 the SS is the way to go then the Z28 starts to out perform. It depends on the year in the case of the 2010 the Z28 is gonna e eastly and awesome .... also they generally made ody adjustments

1989IROCZ1995Z28
Camaro Girl
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Z28 is simply the RPO designation that came up when the option package was originated.

People have loved different iterations, therefore the warmth for Z28.
Exactly. It was just the next in line. I believe the Z27 RPO was a radio option or something for 68 model year. Which is cool because instead of devising a slick name for a car this just happened.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Aside from the history of the badge, for me, the Z28 can (?might?) represent the highest performing OEM Camaro in GM history - a direct competitor for the GT500 (be it power-wise, handling-wise, or both). I won't lie, and say I don't care which it is, be it lighter-better-handler or just a big bruiser with more weight and a lot more power, I just want it to cut the heads right off of GT500s. I'm tired or reading about the end-all-be-all 500 and would LOVE to see GM just spank it. It's not going to be an easy feat, because that's a bad@$$ car, and I don't buy into comparing a Mustang to a Corvette (Ford GT of the past is the better comparison); I believe GM should face Mustang on all fronts: LS/LT to their V6 (sorry - I don't recall the base model, and don't really care, lol), SS to GT, Z28 to GT500. I'm happy that it sounds like Z28 is going the way that I've been hoping, but it will always come down to, as long as it beats the 500, I'm happy.

Now - I just gotta' find the $$$ to save for one... :Lord knows I'll need all the help I can get!

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #37
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
the GS race car you saw at SEMA last year? If 1st gen history repeated itself, that would be a Z/28.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 09-22-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #38
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
COPO or Central Office Production Order was basically a back door fleet car ordering program for those who were "in the know" which is much like how police cars are ordered today.
Very bad analogy. Police specs cars are ordered by the hundreds of thousands every year and it's a very easy system for those that need to order them. It is not a back door, extremely low production line with one-off parts like the COPO cars were.

There is a lot of mystique built up about COPO cars over the past 40 years and it has turned facts into exaggerated myths. Sites like this one keep those myths going strong.

Regardless of all that, rumors of a low production high performance car to be produced in 2 years by a bankrupt, government owned company should be taken with a few grains of salt.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #39
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
IMHO The Z/28 is now a marketing tool rather than a race car, especially Gen 3-5 since there is no real racing GM does since the 70's...It's all independent teams, no direct manufacturer competition.

My question is what were the prices for the original GEN 1s Z/28 vs SS.. so going with that logic, we have the Z/28s and the new Z/28 will be the SS.. I guarantee there was no 20K price difference between the SS and Z/28...

I think the SS was an awesome value for todays performance cars, thus I got it.. 50K base, not so awesome since I can do the aftermarket upgrades myself for much less, and when I can afford it rather than getting a loan on all of it and having some ridicules car payment.
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
Very bad analogy. Police specs cars are ordered by the hundreds of thousands every year and it's a very easy system for those that need to order them. It is not a back door, extremely low production line with one-off parts like the COPO cars were.

There is a lot of mystique built up about COPO cars over the past 40 years and it has turned facts into exaggerated myths. Sites like this one keep those myths going strong.

Regardless of all that, rumors of a low production high performance car to be produced in 2 years by a bankrupt, government owned company should be taken with a few grains of salt.
How's this site contribute?... We have many friends here that share their knowledge of Camaros from the past and do their best to dispell untruths. I'm sorry - I'm not sure this statement is very true...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've always considered the Z28 is to Camaro what the Z06 is to the Corvette...imo.

Either way, it's a storied, Camaro-ONLY model, and thus holds a very special place in Camaro-enthusiasts' hearts.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #42
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
Honestly I don't feel this question quite merits a facepalm, TJT.

It took me a while to catch on to why the Z/28 and its heritage were such a big deal to Camaro enthusiasts. I have always been a fan of classic American muscle, but never been a Camaro enthusiast. If you gave me a wad of cash and a time machine, I would roll back with a '69 Chevelle Yenko and a '68 GTO ragtop. Camaro just happens to be the best muscle for my money today.
The man has good taste in muscle cars

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote