Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Bonj87

Drives: Silverado S
Manual or Auto

ok ok ok as you know im actively looking for the right deal on a Camaro
so.. i havent drivin a stick in probably 20 years.. im an automatic style person.. but im putting serious thought into a manual.. esp after sittin in the test vehicle i drove.. which was an auto..
so.. i need honestly real life opinions (not the 'every sports cars should be a manual' type responses)..
i really value the "real" owners opinion on it.
thx

Last edited by Bonj87; 06-29-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: im a dummy for typing c5 and meaning a 5th gen camaro
Bonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonj87 View Post
ok ok ok as you know im actively looking for the right deal on a C5...
so.. i havent drivin a stick in probably 20 years.. im an automatic style person.. but im putting serious thought into a manual.. esp after sittin in the test vehicle i drove.. which was an auto..
so.. i need honestly real life opinions (not the 'every sports cars should be a manual' type responses)..
i really value the "real" owners opinion on it.
thx
OK.. so first off, just a friendly tip, a C5 is a corvette, not a Camaro Also, in the interest of full disclosure, i have a M6 myself. That being said, automatics are not slouches by any means. If you search around on the forums the whole manual vs automatic has been beaten to death. I chose the M6 because i like driving stick and i wanted the LS3 engine. I am sad to say though, i am not able to launch it anywhere close to what the L99 automatics can do. Stock for Stock, with a fairly green-behind-the-ears driver the auto will take the stick off the line almost every time.

If you're getting the LT 6cyl i would say just chose which you like more, there is, from what I understand, relatively little different between the models. If you are going for an SS, make sure to take into account some of the downsides of the auto L99 engine(DoD, VVT cam, etc) Some of that only matters if you plan to mod though.

Long story short, definitely do not discount the automatic just because its an auto, these new automatic transmissions will make fools out of manual drivers that aren't at or near the top of their game.

By the way, Welcome to Camaro 5!!
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
camaroeddie

Drives: '10 2SS LS3
For me, I was just tired of automatics, turn key, press gas. If I was going to buy this car, I was going to put the fun back into my driving, and a manual does that for me.
camaroeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I have owned both L99 and LS3 (Long Story) I would not take 2 L99 (auto) cars for my LS3. I just love the car in a manual tranny. You just feel like you are a part of something so powerful and exciting to drive. It really is a personal choice , but if you are already starting to lean towards the LS3. You might want to go ahead and get one. You may regret it if you don't.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
I'll try to hit the high points of the auto/manual debate. This is just what I've read on the forum so I can't assure you that all of it is true - since I have an auto myself, I can't speak for the LS3.

*The manual has 26 more horsepower stock. (Fact)
*Autos outsell manuals so if you care about ever selling/trading the car they will have better resale/trade value in general. (Fact)
*Automatics take to modding better, especially at the higher end of things.
*It's a PITA to drive a manual in heavy traffic.
*Your auto will have tapshift when you want more control (but you'll probably rarely use it.)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
About once a month or so I think to myself that the M6 would be fun, however the other 29 days (or 27/30 depending on the month) I am very happy I have the A6. It all comes down to what YOU want.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Bonj87

Drives: Silverado S
yeah the SS is what i WANT.. but id have to get it in the 2SS cuz i want all the goodies LOL.. but ... i getcha.. i may have to stick to the 2LT / RS.. i found one bumblebee in that config, but its a manual.. so im debating if i wanted to switch to taht instead of holding out for an auto
Bonj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
The stick SS has launch control and it's a blast.
Put in 'Competitive' mode, clutch in, 1st gear, floor it (revs to 4500 and waits),
dump clutch.

I wouldn't want any type of sports car other than a stick.
The main reason is control of the car in corners (no auto deciding I need to change gears mid-corner...that is dangerous.)
Also, you can use upshifting when you need more braking power.
Automatics are arguably better for cruising and just driving around, but if you want to take control of every aspect of your driving, you can't do it in an auto.

That being said, the retards that designed cup holder placement put the cup holders right where your arm should be while shifting.
So, nothing taller than a coke can and nothing with a straw.
Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonj87 View Post
.. im an automatic style person..
That's cool, I have to work hard for my style, certainly doesn't come to me automatically. Most would say I still FAIL in the style department

As for the SS, if you like multi-tasking, reading the paper, texting, eating a cheeseburger while driving, then the L99 is the one for you I kid, I kid.

Drive them both and get a sense of which one you ENJOY more. I don't pretend my LS3 is faster than an L99 with similar mods, I simply enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission. EVERYBODY's different.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
JSC81

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
I have no idea why people ask these questions. Your the one that's going to be driving it. How can we decide what you would like better? Your going to get biased opinions from the majority based upon what they own. I would pick whatever you feel your most comfortable driving with.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
I felt for this type of car it had to be a manual. I had to learn manual on a ford focus before I actually got this car and even then there was a little bit more learning involved. I think i've got it down ok now

When 4 cylinders turn off on the auto at cruising speed is probably the most annoying thing about the Auto if it didn't have that I would of probably got an Auto.

I do love changing gears myself though

My opinion on it is this: It's a muscle/sporty car. Manual is the way to go if you are physically able to do it.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Ha ha.. It's all about personal preference. Really.. I've driven a stick my whole life and wouldn't have anything but - especially in my Camaro.

Mines a daily driver SS/RS, about 35 miles round trip everyday (except when I ride my motorcycle) combined city/highway speeds and 23 stop lights. The shifting is not a problem whatsoever. Plus I just put on a Borla exhaust and there's nothing better than ripping thru the gears to hear that baby growl.

Get what you want and what you are comfortable with. If you're worried that you may be a little rusty doing the clutch/gas thing - it's just like a bicycle, it all comes right back after a little practice. Good Luck..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
WildSis2SS
2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
It's all in what you want. The only thing that I HATE is the AFM. In another year or so I'll be getting a tune. To me it didn't matter if it was an auto or manual. The reason I got the auto was because I got a very nice deal on it. Dealer had it for over six months with no bites and it was at the end of the year and wanted to get rid of it. I saved $3000 to $4000 on what everyone was selling them for.
Get what you really want.... If you want a SS then wait for it, or you'll be sorry that you didn't. There are a lot of cars out there so don't be in a hurry!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Sticks give you more control over power and handling. Sticks tend to be more sporty and may give better MPG. Sticks give you bragging rights in high performance car discussions. Sticks probably make you a better driver.
If it were me, I'd get a stick but they are pain in stop and go commute driving. If you have a disability, you may want an automatic. If the car is shared with other drivers, you will want an automatic. Depending on the ability of the stick driver, an automatic may be faster.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote