Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Superchargers - IPF vs. RX

Haven't seen a thread dedicated to objective comparisons between the two supercharging options for the LLT. This is something I've only recently started looking into, which is why I looked for a thread like this. Please chime in and help educate myself and hopefully some others who also are curious!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Kind hard to be completely objective, no one has done a true side by side comparison. They are very similar and use the same Vortech V3 supercharger. One of big difference is the belt design. IPF uses the same belt for the entire system but the Rx system has the normal engine belt to run the engine and all of its accessories and has a separate belt that runs the supercharger. The Rx systems design is great if there is an issue with the supercharger you can just take the belt off and run N/A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
How much HP can you get from the RX supercharger? IPF claims 435Hp 360Tq at the wheels.

Also how effective is the air chiller?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
This is a touchy subject right here lmao! Where's the

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
+1
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
[QUOTE=simt3k;5652960]...... IPF claims 435Hp 360Tq at the wheels..../QUOTE]

Hello !

that is NOT correct !

IPF-TUNING power is ENGINE power !

http://www.ipf-tuning.com/camaro-supercharger/

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
simt3k

[QUOTE=ASH@EDS;5653667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post
...... IPF claims 435Hp 360Tq at the wheels..../QUOTE]

Hello !

that is NOT correct !

IPF-TUNING power is ENGINE power !

http://www.ipf-tuning.com/camaro-supercharger/

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
so what is the wheel power?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Wasn't going to say anything but since you asked here's the unvarnished truth.

The difference between the two is a lot. I had the RX on my car and took it off after a month of it only making 2#'s of boost, a pulley that squeaked embarrassingly loud, and a tensioner that was defective and didn't operate correctly.

The RX offers the separate belt design but it also requires that you cut your stock OEM radiator fan shroud in half and discard the driver side portion and mount an after market fan on the front side. My car's oil temp consistently showed it to be about 30-40 degrees hotter while this kit was on my car.

Had I kept it on my car I would have had all new tubing designed for the car and reduce the 13 or so couplers, reducers to maybe four or five-that a lot of potential fail points people, replaced the 2.5" IC with a 3" IC so as not to create a bottle neck in the air flow with and BELL or other American made IC, replace the tweety-bird TiAL knock off BOV with an HKS sequential or Turbo XS RFL and replace the front side aftermarket fan with a higher CFM fan.

IMO this kit would need a lot more R&D time as well as some time in the polishing dept before I would consider buying it again. My mounting bracket's weld job was embarrassingly sloppy, the pulley looked hand milled and looked like it had been previously used in a different application, and the tensioner moved side to side instead of properly tensioning while boosting. The belt was way too small so I had to buy my own belt and cut it down from a 10 rib down to a 6 rib.

My kit came missing parts, with used looking parts, broken parts, parts that should be included but aren't.

There was a quasi side by side comparison between RX and IPF at C5Fest. The RX kit unfortunately was a DNF and the IPF car performed just fine and posted the better time in the 1/4. It also consistently dynos higher than the RX kit.

RX offers extras like a Super Chiller cooling system, larger pulleys, an HPFP but to date non of these products have shown to produce any gains over the stock pulley. K.I.S.S.

RX claims superiority in the evac system and touts the separate belt for the SC. I've heard both arguments and both companies make valid points about their systems.

My IPF kit just arrived. Right off the bat, the packing is much better. The nuts and bolts are separated out in a long heat sealed bag. I feel like I just ordered a 5695.00 kit. I'll post up pics here shortly as I have a bunch of errands to go run as well as go get the new MDI updates on my car.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
simt3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post

The difference between the two is a lot. I had the RX on my car and took it off after a month of it only making 2#'s of boost, a pulley that squeaked embarrassingly loud, and a tensioner that was defective and didn't operate correctly.

The RX offers the separate belt design but it also requires that you cut your stock OEM radiator fan shroud in half and discard the driver side portion and mount an after market fan on the front side. My car's oil temp consistently showed it to be about 30-40 degrees hotter while this kit was on my car.

Had I kept it on my car I would have had all new tubing designed for the car and reduce the 13 or so couplers, reducers to maybe four or five-that a lot of potential fail points people, replaced the 2.5" IC with a 3" IC so as not to create a bottle neck in the air flow with and BELL or other American made IC, replace the tweety-bird TiAL knock off BOV with an HKS sequential or Turbo XS RFL and replace the front side aftermarket fan with a higher CFM fan.

IMO this kit would need a lot more R&D time as well as some time in the polishing dept before I would consider buying it again. My mounting bracket's weld job was embarrassingly sloppy, the pulley looked hand milled and looked like it had been previously used in a different application, and the tensioner moved side to side instead of properly tensioning while boosting. The belt was way too small so I had to buy my own belt and cut it down from a 10 rib down to a 6 rib.

My kit came missing parts, with used looking parts, broken parts, parts that should be included but aren't.

There was a quasi side by side comparison between RX and IPF at C5Fest. The RX kit unfortunately was a DNF and the IPF car performed just fine and posted the better time in the 1/4. It also consistently dynos higher than the RX kit.

RX offers extras like a Super Chiller cooling system, larger pulleys, an HPFP but to date non of these products have shown to produce any gains over the stock pulley. K.I.S.S.

RX claims superiority in the evac system and touts the separate belt for the SC. I've heard both arguments and both companies make valid points about their systems.

My IPF kit just arrived. Right off the bat, the packing is much better. The nuts and bolts are separated out in a long heat sealed bag. I feel like I just ordered a 5695.00 kit. I'll post up pics here shortly as I have a bunch of errands to go run as well as go get the new MDI updates on my car.
It good guys like you can give us a bit of heads up before getting either of the 2, I was leaning more on the IPF system anyways as a potential spring upgrade.

I am still waiting for my ported throttle body from RX.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
[QUOTE=simt3k;5653720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH@EDS View Post

so what is the wheel power?
Hello !

the measured wheel power depends only to the used dyno system and will be between 130PS to 150PS more then STOCK measured on the SAME dyno with ONLY the SC kit on the car !

We saw stock dyno reads ( RWP ) from 220RWP to 260RWP depending on dyno type ... retarder load and used gear and between 360RWP to 410RWP in the field ... depending on fuel quality ( 91Okt and 93 Okt ) !

So .. nobody can tell you the RWP before the car is not on the dyno and do the stock power dyno run .. then you know the power loss on that dyno type and after the increase value with the SC kit !!

regards ASH@IPF-TUNING
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
This is funny how this post came up, just back from the dyno myself. No difference from 91 to 93
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
You sir are bold!
Since all the FI arguments, I have given up on FI. Mine will be NA for awhile, I am looking at a used (Z06 2004-2006) or a 1LE for my new car next year.
I am sure you will enjoy your new system. Please post when your done what you liked and didnt.
Maybe I will get over all the FI garbage and purchase one for my commuter car.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Matt @ RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post
It good guys like you can give us a bit of heads up before getting either of the 2, I was leaning more on the IPF system anyways as a potential spring upgrade.

I am still waiting for my ported throttle body from RX.
VMax Motorsports takes care of all the CNC spiral porting on these throttle bodies. Unfortunately we are not the manufacturer, so we cannot control when the products are finished. We are dedicated to getting the TB's out ASAP, but once again we do not manufacture them so the wait times are not controlled by us.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post

The system was installed by an unqualified person that chopped it all up, hooked components up wrong (Such as Power & Ground are hooked up together to a fuse blowing out a wideband gauge we replaced for free & then blew out the second one), damaged a good deal of it. We have no control over who installs the kit, but we do recommend a mechanically inclined individual to install it. V6owner installed his in a few days on jackstands and is currently the quickest ET LLT Supercharged car out there right now. IF the kit was only making 2# we can see why, the charger was covered in belt dust and not tensioned properly. The tension was the first design and has been replaced with all other 19 systems out there with no issues and running 6-10# boost. We offered to fly out and install it correctly with the new tensioner for FREE...all at our cost. He declined. Then we offered to pay for the car to be shipped here to us to do the install correctly, all at our cost and he declined telling us his wife would not allow him to have a SC on and had to remove it. So, aside from the tensioner, this was all from an installer without a clue.

The additional cooling fans operates with the same effectivness as the OEM side that is deleted for the install. No one of the other 19 systems has seen any higher oil temps so this is not accurate.

Again, not accurate... ALL components are top quality...ask any of the other 19 that are happy as can be with the systems. The intercoolers we use are the exact ones we see in the other companies pictures....and no "tweety bird" pieces (whatever that means).

The R&D is fine.. We have shipped this kit to numerous people and vendors.. Just a week ago ECS installed the kit, their first kit, without a hitch and that kit made 8#. We just released two more last week making 8#, one on a CTS and one on Pat's V6 Camaro.

No used parts, NO broken parts, but yes we did ship most parts at sixjaks request and followed with the rest afterwards. In hindsight, we should have held the kit until the parts were ready to ship at once.

Not so on the dynos. apples to apples both kits make about the same. Put both on the same dyno's. This has been addressed time and again.

Again not true.....there are results all over on this.

An engine cannot live as long w/out premature wear when the crankcase is not evacuating it. The RX system is the only system providing proper crankcase evacuation at both boost and non boost operation.

This should not be another IPF vs RX slam fest....we dont go and cut down the IPF kit on the boards....we have no right to, it is a good kit with the same head unit....but there seems to be no end to taking the low road instead of the high road. Follow any of my threads....and the RX customers we also urge NOT to get into these slam threads that benefit no one.

If anyone wants details on the advantages of the RX kit then ask in a RX thread. We gain nothing taking the low road.....the demand is so great for V6 mods that the more there are the better, and playing these games helps no members or owners. Let there be more choices, more players. Our business model has always been to promote through as much positive as possible and we help direct competitors all the time...look at HPS, RDP, etc. The market is large enough for all to not have to resort to this type of marketing.

Sixjak has been offered very generous solutions to all his complaints but to date has declined....and the reason seems clear, another IPF vs RX bash fest. No need for the bash posts because this will not give the community any further information.

Last edited by SC2150; 10-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Closed Thread