Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Thumbs up EFuel's Home Ethanol System. I WANT ONE!!!!!!

This thing is amazing!!! They say it can produce up to 35 gallons a week on the Sugar/Wheat fermentation mode for $1.00/Gallon. Or up to 70 gals off of discarded alcohol for $0.10/Gallon.

Here's the link to the MicroFeuler video page.
http://www.efuel100.com/press.aspx

Another Video.

One More: Converting (Fuel Injected) Auto to Run on Ethanol

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 05-22-2008 at 04:47 PM.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Interesting Ethanol MPG Study

Better MPG with Ethanol????

Quote:
Fuel economy

Groundbreaking Study Finds that Certain Ethanol Blends can Provide Better Fuel Economy than Gasoline

"Optimal Blend" Is Likely E20 or E30;
Coalition Calls for Further Government Research

Sioux Falls, SD (December 5, 2007)--Research findings released today show that mid-range ethanol blends--fuel mixtures with more ethanol than E10 but less than E85--can in some cases provide better fuel economy than regular unleaded gasoline, even in standard, non-flex vehicles.

Previous assumptions held that ethanol's lower energy content directly correlates with lower fuel economy for drivers. Those assumptions were found to be incorrect. Instead, the new research strongly suggests tht there is an "optimal blend level" of ethanol and gasoline--most likely E20 or E30--at which cars will get better mileage than predicted based strictly on the fuel's per-gallon Btu content. The new study, cosponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and the American Coalition for Ethanol (ACE), also found that mid-range ethanol blends reduce harmful tailpipe emissions.

"Inital findings indicate that we as a nation haven't begun to recognize the value of ethanol," said Brian Jennings, executive vice president of the American Coalition for Ethanol. "This is a compelling argument for more research on the promise of higher ethanol blends in gasoline. There is strong evidence that the optimal ethanol-gasoline blend for standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles is greater than E10 and instead may be E20 or E30. We encourage the federal government to move swiftly to research the use of higher ethanol blends and make necessary approvals so that American motorists can have the cost-effective ethanol choices they deserve at the pump."

The University of North Dakota Energy & Environmental Research Center (EERC) and the Minnesota Center for Automotive Research (MnCAR) conducted the reserch using four 2007 model vehicles: a Toyota Camry, a Ford Fusion, and two Chevrolet Impalas, one flex-fuel and one non-flex-fuel. Researchers used the EPA Highway Fuel Economy Test (HWFET) to examine a range of ethanol-gasoline blends from straight Tier 2 gasoline up to 85 percent ethanol. All of the vehicles got better mileage with ethanol blends than the ethanol's energy content would predict, and three out of four actually traveled farther on a mid-level gasoline blend than on unleaded gasoline.

In addition to the favorable fuel economy findings, the research provides strong evidence that standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles can operate on ethanol blends beyond 10 percent. The three non-flex-fuel vehicles tested operated on levels as high as E65 before any engine fault codes were displayed. Emissions results for the ethanol blends were also favorable for nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and nonmethane organic gases, showing an especially significant reduction in CO2 emissions for each vehicle's "optimal" ethanol blend.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Thanks for posting... fantastic find!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Wait, what? How can it be that easy to convert a gasoline car to run on ethanol? I'm pretty sure I heard you had to change the fuel lines and such.

GOtta say I'm liking that homebrewing unit though, if I get that and my Camaro running on ethanol I can drive that until the day I die and not worry about gas prices when I'm around home.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
$5,000 !!!!! Sorry, but no one would ever make their money back having to buy the sugar and convert the engine to run on ethanol (which might affect performance )
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
ihc, you might not make your money back, but you could sell the gas you make to get some of it back.

but this is what ive been saying this whole time, SUGAR!!!!! back in the 70's when the first big fuel crunch went on, brazil couldnt afford to buy oil/gasoline, so instead of reinventing the car, they reinvented the fuel (sort of). they started making ethanol from sugar to power their vehicles. they are currently the second largest producer and largest exporter of ethanol.

now if we could just get the masses to open their eyes instead of just saying "damn, fuel went up again. oh well, ill just bend over and take it up the ass" and convert to a different source of fuel
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
$5,000 !!!!! Sorry, but no one would ever make their money back having to buy the sugar and convert the engine to run on ethanol (which might affect performance )
They site claims that using sugar you can produce 200 proof ethanol for around $1.00 a gallon. If gas is $4.00 a gallon then it's only a matter of time to recover the cost of the unit.

As long as ethanol isn't available at the pump for less than what you can make it, or, gas prices don't get back down to around $1.00, you will always be making money. Or saving money, depending on how you look at it.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Dumb question: Is sugar renewable? In all honesty; I have no idea -- but I should.

I really like this idea/machine. Only one issue I'd find with it; Even the flex-fuel vehicles have trouble running on pure-ethanol. Especially in the winter, so what are you supposed to do? fill up an 1/8 of your tank with gas, and then pump this stuff in? Wait - you could do that........nevermind
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Sugar cane....

Dragon, I'm surprised at you.....

It's actually illegal to run a car in the U.S. on 100% ethanol. So, to obey the law you would have to add some gas anyway.

I have no idea how they can enforce this.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Sugar cane....

You know that doesn't tell me anything...........
hrm, hrm. Is Sugar Cane renewable? I'm starting to guess yes.

Quote:
It's actually illegal to run a car in the U.S. on 100% ethanol. So, to obey the law you would have to add some gas anyway.

"Excuse me, sir - I'm going to have to take a sip out of your tank."
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Dumb question: Is sugar renewable? In all honesty; I have no idea -- but I should.

I really like this idea/machine. Only one issue I'd find with it; Even the flex-fuel vehicles have trouble running on pure-ethanol. Especially in the winter, so what are you supposed to do? fill up an 1/8 of your tank with gas, and then pump this stuff in? Wait - you could do that........nevermind
yes, sugar is renewable. from either sugar cane or sugar beets as a primary source, tho you can also get it from palm dates and sugar maple. the kind that is harvested comes from plants...sugar plants, so as long as you have a field to grow them in, it is renewable.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:

Quote:
Sugar cane....

You know that doesn't tell me anything...........
hrm, hrm. Is Sugar Cane renewable? I'm starting to guess yes.

Quote:

"Excuse me, sir - I'm going to have to take a sip out of your tank."

"Excuse me, Sir. I can smell alcohol. Have you been drinking this evening?"

"No officer, I'm running on pure ethanol..."

"Step out of the car please."
Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
quite a bit of stuff that got overlooked in that. its still a pretty cool idea, I'd probably get one if I had the cash floating around. But I have some issues.
1) the $5000 cost is after reinbursement from your governments. It will vary from state to state for you, and I have no clue what it will be like for me in Ontario, Canada.
2) $1/gal production costs are when the sugar is bought in bulk, and you get carbon credits for making biofuel. Real cost is probably much higher.
3) Where did they get the idea that any car can run on any mix? There are materials that break down when exposed to high amounts of ethanol. Thats why an E85 car costs a bit more than a regular gasoline car (or truck). Its swapping out fuel lines and gaskets, I think. But I know it has to be done. It is certainly more than a little rewiring.

Near as I can tell, the average person in the US could save around $1000-1500 a year with this, per car that is driven daily. Thats after figuring in the cost of production and the decreased fuel economy, but is based off of their estimates for pricing. Now, if you sell the stuff to your buddies, you can make some real money. And probably a law or two - selling alcohol without a license.

Quote:

Let me answer your first question with a few of my own.
Have you ever heard of a sugar mine?
Do you know what makes fruit and honey taste sweet?

Since you may be operating at a diminished capacity today . . . the answers are 'no' and 'sugar'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Since you may be operating at a diminished capacity today . . . the answers are 'no' and 'sugar'
Smarta$$.