Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #15597
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
This launch needs to make a statement if they want to recapture the top sales spot.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #15598
Blueclyde

I'm not concerned about power to weight to the n'th degree. Camaro is a muscle car not a sports car. This car next car needs to have great performance metrics, and that means big HP. If I want power to weight, I would just purchase a C7.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #15599
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Camaro is a muscle car not a sports car.
Camaro has pushed the entire segment closer towards sports car than it has ever been.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #15600
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm gonna laugh, and possibly pee myself...if they come out of the gate with something that puts the uber-Mustang out to pasture.
I would be surprised to see that happen.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #15601
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So could we test House civility and discuss that the Camaro is NOT a muscle car.

Muscle car was, by definition, taking a mid size or full size coupe or sedan and dropping a big engine under the hood. LeMans, Chevelle, Malibu, Nova, Monte Carlo.....

Camaro had a single purpose, to compete with a new segment created by Ford. A Pony Car.

Sports car by definition is typically a 2 seater or 2+2.

A Camaro, even in 6 cylinder (and maybe 4) is at least a sporty car in its basic design. A Chevelle and LeMans sure weren't.

I'd like to hear thoughtz on this from The House.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #15602
Blueclyde

3 you are probably right on that. The problem is, at least for me, Camaro is all that we have. There are no more Chevelles or GTO's. If there were I would probably be buying those instead of Camaro.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #15603
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
3 you are probably right on that. The problem is, at least for me, Camaro is all that we have. There are no more Chevelles or GTO's. If there were I would probably be buying those instead of Camaro.
You pretty much hit what I've been thinking. There isn't anything that is a Chevelle like muscle car so we take the closest thing with real power and it is a muscle car.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #15604
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Number 3 is right. The original muscle cars were single purpose, straight line cars with crappy brakes, poor handling, large interiors and there was a good chance your Grandparents drove the same model but with a 6 cylinder engine and hubcap wheels. Pony cars were (are) more than that with a variety of models for different purposes but all sporty.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #15605
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I agree the Camaro is not a muscle car.

I'm a Chevelle guy but since they don't make them anymore, I bought a Camaro. It's the next best thing.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #15606
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'd tend to classify the current crop of Chrysler LX/LY/LC-platform SRT models as modern interpretations of the classic musclecar formula. Trust me when I say that this is a compliment, not a slight - a 204 MPH low-11-second sedan that is civil enough to pick up the kids from school and costs roughly the same as a typical full-size SUV is an stunning feat of modern engineering and manufacturing.

The Mustang and Camaro are still what I'd call pony cars, but the definition of that has certainly expanded with the latest high-perf models, which can provide the performance of previous-gen exotics but at a much lower cost and with substantially better day-to-day usability. The Boss, 1LE, GT500, ZL1, and Z28 are all credible threats to various German and Italian sports cars on a road course; call that whatever you want and I'll simply nod my head in amazement.
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #15607
Blueclyde

For what I do, mostly cruise around the streets on select week nights and weekends, I would prefer something mor like the Hellcat. I've just never owned a Chrysler product and really do not intend on breaking that trend. I am an old Chevelle drag racer, and while I love the modern Camaro, it likely will never fit exactly what I'm looking for.

I have taken my ZL1 to Gingerman raceway here in Michigan and had an absolute blast. I'd like to do more of that, and will, but I still lean toward wanting the best possible straight line performance. That's not likely to ever come from a Camaro.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #15608
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I tend to agree with much of what has already been said.

My personal preference is on the road course, and in the turns. I really could care less about straight line numbers. And I refuse to buy anything foreign, otherwise, I might be in a used Porche or M3. And that's the other thing - I'm not made of $$, so cars like the Corvette are impractical and too expensive for me.

So...Camaro is the perfect blend of power, handling, and attitude for my tastes. I couldn't be more pleased to see the Camaro team take the car closer to full sports-car status with this next generation.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #15609
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I also agree with 3

on the definition of what a muscle car is.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #15610
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
This launch needs to make a statement if they want to recapture the top sales spot.
I agree in today's "car world" time is of the essence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Camaro has pushed the entire segment closer towards sports car than it has ever been.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So could we test House civility and discuss that the Camaro is NOT a muscle car.

Muscle car was, by definition, taking a mid size or full size coupe or sedan and dropping a big engine under the hood. LeMans, Chevelle, Malibu, Nova, Monte Carlo.....

Camaro had a single purpose, to compete with a new segment created by Ford. A Pony Car.

Sports car by definition is typically a 2 seater or 2+2.

A Camaro, even in 6 cylinder (and maybe 4) is at least a sporty car in its basic design. A Chevelle and LeMans sure weren't.

I believe the Nova was very close to the Camaro, wasn't it?
IMO the Camaro has always had 1 foot in the Muscle Car world and the other in the Sports Car world. The future looks to be more a Sports GT Car.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014