Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't mean to intrude in this Canadian thread...as I'm not from Canada.......
But does the Canadian taxing system have anything to do with the massive difference in price?

I could have been taught wrong - but I remember hearing something about every step of the manufacturing proccess is taxed in Canada, as opposed to the 'flat' product-as-a-whole tax???
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #16
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't mean to intrude in this Canadian thread...as I'm not from Canada.......
But does the Canadian taxing system have anything to do with the massive difference in price?

I could have been taught wrong - but I remember hearing something about every step of the manufacturing proccess is taxed in Canada, as opposed to the 'flat' product-as-a-whole tax???
Hey Dragon,

your more than welcome in the Canadian threads, lol.... by all means intrude...but you have a good question.... from my knowledge..... and im not sure on this at all... but, i think we do have some steps of the manufacturing process taxed (but not alot)...... but they still do not account for the price differences with our friends down south in the US.

A bunch of my freinds and other people on other forums have inquired about the price differences with corporate head offices of companies... and the same typical response is what you get...... they say in a polite way that we do it, because we can!! LOL.... they usually add a blurb about Canadian market being small and other small things that cause the price to go up.... but I mean with an average bump of like 35% over the US in car prices for new.... those things still don't account for the markup.

Like I priced out a mustang the other day... the same on on the US site for 29,233 is 38,567 on the Canadian site!!!! Thats a whopping 10 grand almost.... my cousin bought a Tahoe LTZ from the states 2 weeks ago... he saved 25 grand after Canadian taxes, broker fees, border fees and stuff!!! that is just unreal.... so I think you guys can understand the frustration we have up north about the prices when our dollar for the last many years has been within 5 cents +/- of the US dollar.... now given the reality that someday our dollar will eventually fall back to probably 80 cents when the American dollar gets stronger..... i can live with some price differences.... but not 30-45% increases!!!

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Like I priced out a mustang the other day... the same on on the US site for 29,233 is 38,567 on the Canadian site!!!!

..............i can live with some price differences.... but not 30-45% increases!!!
No...I'm sure there's more to this that we don't realize/know...but that's not right.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
i don't think there's much more to it other than what Jay has said. Perhaps tax does play an issue, but this wouldn't explain more than $1,000 difference in pricing (something most Canadians would accept). Tax differences couldn't really explain how the difference between pricing becomes much steeper as the value of the vehicle becomes higher...that's why luxury vehicles sell for tens of thousands of dollars less in the States. Manufacturers have us by the balls (excuse the expression) because they simply won't acknowledge the warranty if the vehicle was bought in the US.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Jay

Quote:
No...I'm sure there's more to this that we don't realize/know...but that's not right.
Dragon, there really isnt more to the story bro.... if there was we would have figured it out by now, LOL! Thousands of Canadians have gone public with there demands for explanations... the car companies have no REAL explanation other than your a small market and were gunna charge you more regardless of any other factor.

I mean, its a hassle but there is pretty much a way of getting almost any vehicle from the states so Im not too concerned (brokerage firms)... but it would be nice if i could go to the local dealer and buy a car at fair prices!!!

As for warranty issues Mike.... I dont know about you... but there is huge auto mall with just about every car dealer about 45 mins from house in the states (and literally it takes me 45 mins to cross the border and get there)... if dealers deny doing work on my car in Canada... I will simply cross the border and get my warranty work done there... alotta people here are going to the dealer, buying the car from them and getting there car work done from them... so the dealers don't mind one bit!

JAY
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Dragon, there really isnt more to the story bro.... if there was we would have figured it out by now, LOL! Thousands of Canadians have gone public with there demands for explanations... the car companies have no REAL explanation other than your a small market and were gunna charge you more regardless of any other factor.

I mean, its a hassle but there is pretty much a way of getting almost any vehicle from the states so Im not too concerned (brokerage firms)... but it would be nice if i could go to the local dealer and buy a car at fair prices!!!

As for warranty issues Mike.... I dont know about you... but there is huge auto mall with just about every car dealer about 45 mins from house in the states (and literally it takes me 45 mins to cross the border and get there)... if dealers deny doing work on my car in Canada... I will simply cross the border and get my warranty work done there... alotta people here are going to the dealer, buying the car from them and getting there car work done from them... so the dealers don't mind one bit!
The vast majorityof Canadians live within a 2 hour drive of the border. A far bit longer than going to the local dealer, but if thats what I have to do to get waranty issues fixed on a US bought car, I'll do it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Makes sense. If everybody has raised the issue - then there must not be anything more to the story.

(I thought this was a relatively new thing )

And what's the auto-complex called? If it's in NY, I'm probably familiar with it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #22
Jay

Quote:
Makes sense. If everybody has raised the issue - then there must not be anything more to the story.

(I thought this was a relatively new thing )

And what's the auto-complex called? If it's in NY, I'm probably familiar with it.
Lol Dragon.... im a far away from New York my friend.... im in BC, Canada... we touch the border of Washington State.

I almost made it once to New York by road from Toronto, unfortunately plans changed while we were in Buffalo.... but I can wait to visit New York.... hows the job potential out there anyways? And expenses, places to live... lol, im sorta in the middle of looking to move somewhere new... to get a fresh start after I graduate with my degree and New York always appealed to me.... but at the same its such a big place.... its sorta daunting and scary to think I would move there not knowing anyone there!!

JAY
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Lol Dragon.... im a far away from New York my friend.... im in BC, Canada... we touch the border of Washington State.

I almost made it once to New York by road from Toronto, unfortunately plans changed while we were in Buffalo.... but I can wait to visit New York.... hows the job potential out there anyways? And expenses, places to live... lol, im sorta in the middle of looking to move somewhere new... to get a fresh start after I graduate with my degree and New York always appealed to me.... but at the same its such a big place.... its sorta daunting and scary to think I would move there not knowing anyone there!!
Umm, if you were in Buffalo then you were in New York . . . its a state, not just a city. As far as getting a fresh start, I've always been opposed to the brain drain. If you want a big city, there is Toronto. Its kinda like NYC, but the people are supposed to be a bit nicer. If you want to feel like an outsider there's Montreal. Both of which will have career opertunities that you are looking for, regardless of the field. Maybe not the same pay as you could get in the states, but that would vary from job to job.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Umm, if you were in Buffalo then you were in New York . . . its a state, not just a city.

Apparently we're not very original when coming up with names here in the states...so you get cities like New York, NY.

Anyways...since the dollar's about the same now Cost of living isn't to bad at all here around Buffalo - And whereas the city itself isn't the best place to live, we've got Beautiful Suburbs, the lakes - and a decent amount of things to do.

New York state suppodedly has the highest schooling standards - and as far as teachers go, we turn out the best; bar none.

Now if you go further downstate NY, like New York City...then cost of living starts skyrocketing - but so does pay...

You asked, Jay!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #25
Jay

Quote:

Apparently we're not very original when coming up with names here in the states...so you get cities like New York, NY.

Anyways...since the dollar's about the same now Cost of living isn't to bad at all here around Buffalo - And whereas the city itself isn't the best place to live, we've got Beautiful Suburbs, the lakes - and a decent amount of things to do.

New York state suppodedly has the highest schooling standards - and as far as teachers go, we turn out the best; bar none.

Now if you go further downstate NY, like New York City...then cost of living starts skyrocketing - but so does pay...

You asked, Jay!
LOL.... i meant to say that I never made it New York City, LOL! Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of New York City... not Buffalo.

I dunno im really confused right now about the relocation thing.... Im hunching more towards staying out West than moving out East. I think California or Vegas is my best bet.... as I like the places and my field of HR... there are a ton of jobs around there.

But I will definitley visit New York CITY(lol) and then decide.

JAY
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
Jay

Quote:
Umm, if you were in Buffalo then you were in New York . . . its a state, not just a city. As far as getting a fresh start, I've always been opposed to the brain drain. If you want a big city, there is Toronto. Its kinda like NYC, but the people are supposed to be a bit nicer. If you want to feel like an outsider there's Montreal. Both of which will have career opertunities that you are looking for, regardless of the field. Maybe not the same pay as you could get in the states, but that would vary from job to job.
Honestly to tell you the truth.... I dont like Toronto city. My sister moved from BC to Toronto and likes it.. but I for one dont (no offense to anyone from there). Its a cool city, alot to do, party and stuff, jobs, etc... but theres a feel to it that I dont like!!!

Like I went to Oakville, Ottawa, London... and those areas were much better!!!

Personally, I found the people in Toronto to be very rude compared people out west.... so if New York city is worse... I dunno:(.....

San Diego, LA, etc.... people were much nicer and weather there obviously rocks!

I guess growing up in Vancouver, BC which is much smaller.... I might never get used to the east.... but I definitely want to give New York City a chance.

JAY
Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Like I went to Oakville, Ottawa, London... and those areas were much better!!!
Ottawa is very nice, I went up there a few times over the summer for my job. All over Ontario actually. Ottawa was the nicest area, very clean, quite relaxed attitude. But it is pretty much on its own up there, thats either a good thing or a bad thing. But for me being from southern ontario I'm just not used to being able to drive for over an hour and not reach a city. Oakville is a nice area, but things can be expensive there. And there is too much of an association with Hamilton. Ugh. London, I never paid particular notice of. It was alright, better than the average I guess. Its isolated like Ottawa, but not really. 2 hours to Toronto or Detroit. Close enough for day trips.

What sort of career are you looking for?

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #28
Jay

Quote:
Ottawa is very nice, I went up there a few times over the summer for my job. All over Ontario actually. Ottawa was the nicest area, very clean, quite relaxed attitude. But it is pretty much on its own up there, thats either a good thing or a bad thing. But for me being from southern ontario I'm just not used to being able to drive for over an hour and not reach a city. Oakville is a nice area, but things can be expensive there. And there is too much of an association with Hamilton. Ugh. London, I never paid particular notice of. It was alright, better than the average I guess. Its isolated like Ottawa, but not really. 2 hours to Toronto or Detroit. Close enough for day trips.

What sort of career are you looking for?
Well im graduating with my business administration degree in human resources management this may... so something along those line, lol. Vancouver has a healthy job market... but its very competitive... too many people that come from outside attracted to the city with a lot of experience, thus reducing the chances of landing a well paid and good job here.

Although our freinds to our right in Calgary have a lot of awesome job potential the city doesn't offer much... but most of all the weather really turns me off... and im pretty young... so im kinda looking for a city thats a little "more fun" per say. But a good job with decent pay is my priority right now.

With that being said... im pretty comfortable moving out on my own and figuring things out (i lived on my own when i was like 12 years old for 3 years in a boarding school so im used to it), making freinds and all.... but I guess for me time will tell where I end up.... Im really hoping that I will land something in LA or Vegas areas... as I love the cities.

At the same time I sorta want to try and stay in Canada and not relocate to the States.... but let me tell you.... im one very confused person.... so as much as I try to plan for this, I think im just going to go with flow...apply everywhere and see what happens!

JAY