Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #43
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
OnStar will then begin to provide you with information on driving events, including.
Hard braking instances and where they took place
Hard acceleration instances and where they took place
Speeds over 80mph
Distance driven
Late night driving (driving between 12am and 4am)
Plus, average miles per gallon, miles per hour and total idle time
I was referring to the Progressive Snapshot the the OP had installed.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #44
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
" Hello Mr. Smith, this is OnStar. We are glad that you have have purchased a 2016 Camaro SS and enrolled in OnStar's Smart Driver program. We have recorded your driving at a speed of 88 MPH in a posted 65 MPH. We have alerted the State Highway Patrol of your current location, speed, tag number and color of vehicle. As soon as they are behind your car, we will reduce the speed in your car and cut off the engine as to avoid any kind of hazardous situation. A detailed speed event will be sent to the trooper that stopped you showing him the exact GPS location(s) where you achieved your greatest speeds. We have also alerted your car insurance company about the speeding ticket(s) you are about to receive. Have a great day and thank you for choosing On Star"
LMAO!!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
IrishShadow

Drives: 2016 2SS
This thread proves paranoia is hilarious.
IrishShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #46
Outrun

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
" Hello Mr. Smith, this is OnStar. We are glad that you have have purchased a 2016 Camaro SS and enrolled in OnStar's Smart Driver program. We have recorded your driving at a speed of 88 MPH in a posted 65 MPH. We have alerted the State Highway Patrol of your current location, speed, tag number and color of vehicle. As soon as they are behind your car, we will reduce the speed in your car and cut off the engine as to avoid any kind of hazardous situation. A detailed speed event will be sent to the trooper that stopped you showing him the exact GPS location(s) where you achieved your greatest speeds. We have also alerted your car insurance company about the speeding ticket(s) you are about to receive. Have a great day and thank you for choosing On Star"
Outrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #47
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I do! I did it a year ago on my 5th gen, I enrolled right away with my 6th gen. It dropped my insurance rate substantially on my 5th gen. I was paying around $95 a month, it dropped it to $72 a month. Now I'm paying $52 a month including gap insurance. That's around $624/year. 27, clean record.

With the progressive snapshot I'm saving 7% so far or about $27. You only have to keep it plugged in for 6 months, after that you send it back and still keep the same rate.

It monitors hard braking and what times you drive your car. You get dinged for hard braking and driving late at night/early morning.

My weekly stats are 0:00 time of high risk driving. .78 hard brakes, about 64 miles a week.

I need to take more road trips!

Did you buy this car to collect or drive? I have a lot of self restraint and if I bought the car to store I could understand that. Although 3k miles a year is not healthy for a v8! LOL It is your car so drive as you please is how I see it. Unfortunately everyone else in checking on driving habits does not. I have progressive, 33 clean driving record and paid $532 for 6 months. I figured 20k miles a year, about 60 miles a day seeing 100+ daily and loves to test the limits when I am all by myself was the best I could get from Progressive. The snapshot is just going to tell on me.

The OP talking about On Star I do not believe is in their best interests to tell on us. How much will they make off of onstar subscribers? How much does it make off of Law Enforcement? This is the same thing as Apple just went through. Now I am not a huge fan of Apple products by my choice only. I think it is cool they tried to stand their ground, even if it was to make more money in the long run.

Last edited by drivingagain; 06-01-2016 at 06:53 PM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #48
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Both, I don't plan on selling it and it's my daily driver. I live in small town and two blocks away from work. Typically I put on around 10,000 miles a year.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #49
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Dont you have to sign up for this though? I know I havent yet.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #50
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpilot View Post
Speaking of Insurance, just got my quote from State Farm on the new car...$1040.00 per year!! WTF no accidents or tickets in 20+ years OUCH!
A) $1K/yr to insure a new camaro (or any car) in LA is not bad at all.

B) State Farm is your most expensive option in general unless you use them for a whole bunch of other insurance products. Did you look at GEICO or Mercury to compare rates?
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #51
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCee66 View Post
Dont you have to sign up for this though? I know I havent yet.
signing up just gives you the report.. It doesn't do anything about what onstar does with the data it is always reading in regardless of if you have a subscription or not or have opted into anything or not.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #52
buck_dawg_gold

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1DoubleN View Post
A) $1K/yr to insure a new camaro (or any car) in LA is not bad at all.

B) State Farm is your most expensive option in general unless you use them for a whole bunch of other insurance products. Did you look at GEICO or Mercury to compare rates?
I'm at 1400 with statefarm. Other name brand insurers quoted me 1650 to 1800. I'm in my 30's one at fault accident on my driving record.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sounds like it's more based on efficiency and wear/tear diagnostic items. I'm sure my score will be real, real low.

I wonder if they could do a "fun driver" score, too?

It's kind of funny to read all of the "big brother" comments, honestly. In today's world of telemetry, Wi-Fi, cameras, and social media...You need too crawl into a hole to avoid supervision and monitoring. OnStar is among the least of your concerns.

I knew a person who's new smartphone was broadcasting their position real-time to "friends" for months without knowing it...
Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #54
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Your phone has pretty much everything anyone would need to know your location, your speed, your rate of acceleration an deceleration. Everything OnStar can do except throttle position.......but if you are accelerating hard that's pretty much derived

No ones complaining about their phones though.

I've said it before, a friend swears he gets targeted ads for things he has never searched for........but he has talked about. You know how you can simply go, "hey, Siri" on an iPhone 6s without touching your phone? Yep your phone is listening too.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #55
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Your phone has pretty much everything anyone would need to know your location, your speed, your rate of acceleration an deceleration. Everything OnStar can do except throttle position.......but if you are accelerating hard that's pretty much derived

I've said it before, a friend swears he gets targeted ads for things he has never searched for........but he has talked about. You know how you can simply go, "hey, Siri"? Yep your phone is listening.
Posts 26 and 33.

And, yes, all those voice assistants send the sound clips off for remote processing and response.. It's not just phones. TVs do this as well. Your home automation systems that are cloud linked. Even having BT/GPS/WiFi on your phone enabled walking around in public allows for tracking of you based on the various hardware level addresses. There are even Mobile ISP based SuperCookies you can't see or even clear.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #56
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I've said it before, a friend swears he gets targeted ads for things he has never searched for........but he has talked about. You know how you can simply go, "hey, Siri" on an iPhone 6s without touching your phone? Yep your phone is listening too.

Difference is with OnStar in a second the folks at the control center can dispatch your VIN, color, name, address, phone number, velocity, RPM, transmission gear, and engine temperature. And if you think they can't or won't in the future you are very naive.

It's a lot harder to hide a 2 ton chunk of metal in defining color for the world to see from the police and insurance company than it is to hide your smartphone.

Apple can know where you are and how fast you're going (unless you have GPS turned off which you can't do with OnStar unless you remove the fuse, unplug the antenna, or tear out the module ), but they don't know how you're going that fast or in what.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote