Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
yeah the camaro definitely turns heads.

The G8 doesn't get the same response, but It is a pretty agressive looking sedan, with the fender flares, and the unique look - doesn't look like a blah mazda 6 or a camry, or new impala. Those cars have zero pazazz.

I get thumbs up and stares quite a bit where I live.

Just the other day, the wife ran into the local wine & spirits store and I waited in the parking lot-- a guy came out and saw my car,, he came over looked at the front, then walked around back... Then got in his van (utility type van)- looked over, I have a rev, and he gave a big thumbs up and smiled.

But yeah, people practically break their necks to look at a Camaro right now. That will calm down with time and more visibility. I think they are both great looking cars, the Camaro wins in that department though for sure.
________
Full Melt Hash

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 09:59 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
bond2

Drives: '16 2SS M6,'96 WS6 M6
I was cross shopping the G8 GT and the Camaro V6. Problem I had was I really wanted a 6 speed, but I didn't want to drop all that money on the GXP, which has pretty poor fuel economy too. I like a car loaded with all the goodies and the Camaro 2SS/RS was getting close to $40k like the GXP. If there was a 6 speed G8 GT, I probably would have gotten that, as its a little more spacious and more powerful than the V6 in the Camaro. That said, when I saw the Camaro for the first time in the dealership, I decided at that point I had to have one. The look of both the exterior and interior was just too cool to pass up. I have about 900 miles on my Camaro, so I've started to punch on it a little bit. The first gear is really short, so the car has alot of jump outta the gate. It feels fast as long as you hold each gear past 4K RPM before shifting. I miss two things though when driving the Camaro, the lack of V8 torque and the exhaust note is a little whiny, but I am getting a new Corsa exhaust here soon to hopefully remedy that part.
'99 30th anniv TA vert #988- M6

bond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
jrc1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond2 View Post
I was cross shopping the G8 GT and the Camaro V6. Problem I had was I really wanted a 6 speed, but I didn't want to drop all that money on the GXP, which has pretty poor fuel economy too. I like a car loaded with all the goodies and the Camaro 2SS/RS was getting close to $40k like the GXP. If there was a 6 speed G8 GT, I probably would have gotten that, as its a little more spacious and more powerful than the V6 in the Camaro. That said, when I saw the Camaro for the first time in the dealership, I decided at that point I had to have one. The look of both the exterior and interior was just too cool to pass up. I have about 900 miles on my Camaro, so I've started to punch on it a little bit. The first gear is really short, so the car has alot of jump outta the gate. It feels fast as long as you hold each gear past 4K RPM before shifting. I miss two things though when driving the Camaro, the lack of V8 torque and the exhaust note is a little whiny, but I am getting a new Corsa exhaust here soon to hopefully remedy that part.
one key note though--- they are letting GXPs go for as little as $34,500. that is with a six speed and sunroof (I.E fully loaded)

I would have thought more about the GXPs but they were letting the GTs go for $26,200. (no roof)
________
Og kush seeds

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
one key note though--- they are letting GXPs go for as little as $34,500. that is with a six speed and sunroof (I.E fully loaded)

I would have thought more about the GXPs but they were letting the GTs go for $26,200. (no roof)
Really? my local dealer was asking MSRP for the GXP. The GT, that's another story. I'd be driving a GT if the MT was available.
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #33
jrc1122

yep, i paid 26.2K for my GT

some people have paid as low as 34.5K- average is around 36K for the GXP (what is being reported by members on different G8 forums)
________
Vtx1800R

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
snizzle
Recalled user

Yeah, I told him he was crazy if he thought I was paying MSRP for any car.

The prices on the GTs are soo tempting.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #35
snizzle
Recalled user

Btw, Lutz just nixed any hope of a Chevy "G8" Caprice. Get one now if you want it.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #36
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I have a V6 G8 (was going to get a Camaro but I couldn't beat the incentives on the G8 - have to wait another year for the same kind of deals on the camaro).

You're probably right about the 0-60 times, it's in the mid 7s and probably up near 16 in the 1/4. I'd like to get the 0-60 down around 6, but honestly I don't care much about that. I drive 120 miles each day on the highway. I'm much more interested in the 50-70 times and this car is no slouch there.

If I could have afforded the V8 I probably would have got one, but I only had enough $$ saved up for the V6 plus I put it down on the 0%x72 month loan. When my truck is paid off in a couple years I'll get myself an SS Camaro and split my miles between the two cars.

If you're looking for speed and speed only you need to get the G8, the V6 Camaro won't be close. If you need something for a family (I have 3 kids) get the G8. If you want something that looks good get the G8. But if you want something that's unique, a collector, and turns heads all day long then the Camaro is what you want. Good luck shopping, I had a hard time with my decision but I love what I got.

Here are some pics of my car:
Attached Images

squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
Cruzintexas

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Quote:
sad day-- my beloved G8GT with a 6.0 361 HP 383 ft/lbs of torque is being compared to the base line V6 Camaro.

:(

Fastest recorded time I have found for the G8 GT is 13.37 (or maybe it was 13.34)

with catback, intake, and handheld tuner -tune- 12.9 (verified w/ slip and witnesses)

Not trying to stir up things, but V6 Camaro not close to a G8 GT.

For crying out loud is had a LS2 (with AFM). technically not an LS2- but very similiar.

It put more HP to the ground than the Camaro v6 makes at the flywheel?

But I would love to have the NEW Camaro 2SS/RS package.

disclaimer- with a high DA and crappy driving, I have seen people run 14s. But these are solid 13.6 cars or better in stock form (with average track conditions)
13.3-13.5 with ideal track conditions.

Please be gentle with me,,, don't shoot the messenger.
I hope you love it to each his own but its your mamas 4 door ride
Cruzintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #38
427C5

Drives: Black and +600hp
I would take a G8 ANYDAY! Don t get me wrong, i m keepin my Vette but i have liked the styling of the Pontiac G8 since it came out. I never followed the performance of them, but that could be Tweaked with some mods. Drop a LS7 in there with some other goodies..... It would make an Awesome sleeper!
427C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #39
jrc1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzintexas View Post
I hope you love it to each his own but its your mamas 4 door ride

Such a typical thing to hear... Grocery Getter, Mamma's car. Soccer Mom's car etc.

It is as if some people have all the money in the world, where they can afford two really nice cars or something. Remember some people in the world have kids.. You know those little people that keep the world populated?

If you are comfurtable rearfacing a child in a car seat in your Camaro that is cool, however I'm not. I am alittle more concerned with the safety and comfurt of my family rather than the number of doors my car has.

Not to mention I use this car as my "work car" I have already have got over 6K miles on it, and have owned it just over 2 months. I haul equipment, parts, tools, over night bag etc around. I need the space.

So the fact that I have two more doors is a juvinile reason to diss someone's car. I call ... "momma's car" dissing.

Funny how the G8 GXP (which i couldnt afford at the time)- has nearly identical numbers as the Camaro and even has better more agressive gearing. But that is your typical grocery getter too I suppose.

Let me guess you exclude the GXP-- why because it has .2 more displacement or because it has 60 more HP?

Not trying to get in a pissing contest... I just get aggrevated when people can't look past how many doors a car has.
I have gotten past the mediocre interior the camaro has and still love it?

You calling mine a Mammas car is about the same as me calling the camaro a mullet-mobile.
Neither one is accurate, but both fit some unwarranted stereotype.
________
Honda X11

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #40
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
You calling mine a Mammas car is about the same as me calling the camaro a mullet-mobile.
Neither one is accurate, but both fit some unwarranted stereotype.
Couldn't agree more, well said.