Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #43
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
This topic has been discussed extensively. The stock G3s are in between dedicated track tire and street tire. At the end of the day they are neither. The PS4S are strictly street comfortable tire. G3s have much better dry grip that PS4S. At some $400 less for a set of stock size G3s than PS4S, makes me somewhat forget how harsh the G3s are on the street. Just my opinion
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #44
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks, I was mostly concerned about the dry grip but do understand why daily drivers have issues...at this stage, I see no reason to change.

Being this was my first ever hot rod, I was sorta thinking my brand new car had worn out tires on them at first glance when I went to pick her up!! I'm admittedly ignorant on these hi performance rubbers.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #45
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
This topic has been discussed extensively. The stock G3s are in between dedicated track tire and street tire. At the end of the day they are neither. The PS4S are strictly street comfortable tire. G3s have much better dry grip that PS4S. At some $400 less for a set of stock size G3s than PS4S, makes me somewhat forget how harsh the G3s are on the street. Just my opinion
Stick with your GYs will the rest of the world runs on Michelins. Whatever makes you happy.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #46
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
I agree with JK001 take on this. From my perspective it all depends on your driving habits. For me I never drive the car in the rain and I might take the car to the track once or twice in a year. I am a fan of the PS4S tire specifically BUT I would rather have the G3's. Overall I save some $$$ and I feel with the G3's I am getting a hybrid type of tire (track tire at heart BUT can also perform on the street).

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either the G3's or PS4S tires. It really comes down to how you like to drive your ZL1 which in the end should make for an easy decision on which tire you go for.

For me I will stick with OEM G3's tires but should I decide not to take the car to the track anymore I would seriously consider moving to the PS4S tires simply because I would get more benefits from this tire IF I am looking for maximum street spirited performance driving.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #47
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
The story is the Camaro team went to Michelin first and Michelin said to eff off they weren’t designing a tire for a Camaro.

Where did you get the information from? Goodyear been designing tires for Camaro for years.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #48
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
Where did you get the information from? Goodyear been designing tires for Camaro for years.
Attached Images

6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #49
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
F1 : runflat
PS4: non runflat
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Does anyone know the real answer to this? Is it as simple as contracts?
Each manufacturer has goals/targets in mind for performance, reliability, and quality. They sort of "bid" out the part...or seek out manufacturers. Brembo is a great example for brakes...Chevy used to try to make their own brakes (check out a C6 Z06...)

Gen 5 Camaro ZL1, and SS 1LE had already made use of Goodyear's technology. In fact, I believe they tweaked the Camaro-spec tires from the standard mold back then.

Fast-forward to Gen 6. This may have already been said...GM approached Michelin to develop a tire for the ZL1 1LE over three years ago. They declined...I'm not exactly sure of the reason, but it was something like "Oh, it's just a Camaro, no thanks. We're into Ferraris and Porches..."

So Goodyear stepped up, and worked with the Chevy engineers over that long period of time to develop Goodyear's first-ever DOT-R track tire. Turned out it performed better than the Michelin SC2 in many of their testing situations.

I imagine that relationship filtered down to the rest of the car line...which now features the evolution of the ZL1 & SS 1LE tires, and a more streetable summer tire for the SS.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #51
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
I’ve had the GY’s and the PS4S’s on both my ZL1 and previously on my SS1LE.
For track use, I’ll differ to those with more experience and accept the GY’s are better on the track.

For street use, I honestly have no idea how anyone could possibly compare the two as anywhere near equals.

The Michelins have far superior wet weather traction. So much so, it would seem indisputable to me. Appears some others have had a different experience, but obviously they’ve experienced situations different than me.

The GY’s aren’t in the same league when it comes to hydroplaning either. Here in east Texas, on less than stellar roads, I literally felt like I was flirting with disaster at anything above 50 mph. I would actually create a traffic hazard because I’d need to drive so slow to keep from hydroplaning, that vehicles would pass me in the rain, sometimes getting frustrated and pass going up a hill because of my slow speed. I got to the point I wouldn’t drive the car if the weather forecast mentioned rain .

In dry weather, the Michelins had far superior grip during acceleration. Again, maybe just my experience based on my driving habits, road condition, temperature, etc. But there is so much difference, it’s hard to imagine any particular change in scenario that would create a different outcome.

Of course, there are the small things too, like the GY’s throwing grit and rocks up under (and down the side) of the car. The Michelins don’t do that either (at least nothing like the GY’s).

I’m not paid by Michelin, and I have nothing at all against GY (as a company). I’m simply stating my particular experience in the event it helps someone who’s trying to decide between the two.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #52
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
There are a lot of good comments in here and I'm basically going to echo many of them. I've run these GYs on a road course and on autocross. For the abuse I put them through in both of those scenarios I'm really eased with the tires. On the track, they have consistent traction from the first run to the last. And while some oil have complained of wear problems mine are still holding really strong at 4,000 miles (with a significant amount of those being on the track). Are they the best track tire you can buy? Probably not. I'm getting ready to try a set of R888rs next, but I'm getting those specifically for the track.

Are the GYs a good drag tire? That I can't say because I haven't taken my car to the strip. I can just speak to some playing around I've done. And for that they haven't been too bad. Again are they the best drag tire? No way.

On the street they are fine if it's dry. In the wet I wouldn't drive the car about 45 or 50. But then again these tires weren't really made for that. They are sticky and they pick up EVERYTHING on the road. So they are going to fling rocks and debris on your car.

If I was daily driving the car I'd lose the GYs and put on something more road friendly. I know not everyone can do it, but I actually picked up a second set of rims last year. My plan is to run a street tire on one set for just every day cruising around (I may even try the Continentals for the price knowing they will be more a street tire than a performance one) and a performance set on the other for the track (R888rs).

At the end of the day, the tires you run largely depend on your personal preference and what you want out of them. Saving the GYs are better than the Michelins is really dependant on what your measuring.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #53
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Wet conditions driving style

As to wet conditions and street/hwy driving I've learned to get up out of the "groove", where the water is. I can drive my mustang GT at 70 on two lane hwy's by moving out of the "hydro-plane zone", where the water is, in the "groove".
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #54
snakeslayer

Drives: Hyper Blue ZL1
Giving credit where credit is due, I have to say the Goodyear's have so far been a pleasant surprise. It has been standard SOP in the past for me to trash the Goodyear's immediately and go to Michelin's, but I have no urge to do that with this car.
snakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #55
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I’ve had the GY’s and the PS4S’s on both my ZL1 and previously on my SS1LE.
For track use, I’ll differ to those with more experience and accept the GY’s are better on the track.

For street use, I honestly have no idea how anyone could possibly compare the two as anywhere near equals.

The Michelins have far superior wet weather traction. So much so, it would seem indisputable to me. Appears some others have had a different experience, but obviously they’ve experienced situations different than me.

The GY’s aren’t in the same league when it comes to hydroplaning either. Here in east Texas, on less than stellar roads, I literally felt like I was flirting with disaster at anything above 50 mph. I would actually create a traffic hazard because I’d need to drive so slow to keep from hydroplaning, that vehicles would pass me in the rain, sometimes getting frustrated and pass going up a hill because of my slow speed. I got to the point I wouldn’t drive the car if the weather forecast mentioned rain .

In dry weather, the Michelins had far superior grip during acceleration. Again, maybe just my experience based on my driving habits, road condition, temperature, etc. But there is so much difference, it’s hard to imagine any particular change in scenario that would create a different outcome.

Of course, there are the small things too, like the GY’s throwing grit and rocks up under (and down the side) of the car. The Michelins don’t do that either (at least nothing like the GY’s).

I’m not paid by Michelin, and I have nothing at all against GY (as a company). I’m simply stating my particular experience in the event it helps someone who’s trying to decide between the two.
Absolutely, Michelin ps4s over the Gen3 goodyears. Just like cup 2's over the GY 3 R tires on the ZL1 1LE. You can bet GY made a deal with Camaro that they couldn't refuse. Corvette is all Michelin for a reason when they used to have Goodyear F1 supercar tires all the time. Its all about price, Most of your high end street cars come with Michelin foreign/domestic. Hell, even Ford got smart on all the Mustangs. Camaro decided to save a buck and I hate to say it because I have pure GM blood in my veins.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #56
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The ZL1 in normal and 1LE variants posts some of the best tested times in the world, and people are on here trashing the tires used for those accomplishments. This makes no sense to me. I've owned some awesome cars over the years and have absolutely no reason to dislike these tires. And people continuously citing were weather performance need to understand that this is a track oriented street tire. Wet weather performance is always going to suffer a bit, in a tradeoff for dry traction. This is nothing new.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote