Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2022, 08:39 PM   #15
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I'll go ahead and be the contrarian here - I think that the stock shifter is really pretty decent. My 2011 had a aftermarket Hurst Billet Two Plus in it when I bought it - and it was junk. It was noisy, it was sloppy, but the worst part was that it really caused trouble getting the car to reliably shift when driven aggressively. I've had stick cars my whole life, and that shifter genuinely made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing.

Now, I'm aware that they make a "Pit Pack" which has a different bushing set and tightens it up a little. I'd contend that they ought to just sell it that way, knowing how problematic it is. Dollars and cents I'm sure driving those decisions. I can imagine that with good bushings and a heavier ball it probably could be decent - but that wasn't my experience at all.

I tried a different master cylinder, bleeding the clutch, running Redline D4 ATF, but what cured my poor shifting was simply getting my hands on an OEM shifter and swapping that in. Instantly resolved every problem I had with the trans. So, I have little love for the aftermarket Hurst.

The stock shifter has been just fine. I think an MGW would potentially be an upgrade, but not a substantial one. Maybe for a circuit raced car the stronger centering would be more important to me, but my car primarily sees drag, and the stock shift has been plenty adequate. Sounds like the original poster has found much the same.
Have you ever shifted a ZL1 shifter? MUCH shorter & smoother than stock shifter. I wouldn't have believed it until I drove one.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #16
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I have had a Hurst since late ‘09, one of the first mods I did. I wanted the factory Hurst, but it wasn’t available yet when my order was pulled. Just last week I put in the pit pack bushings I had purchased a few years ago. They made the shifter tighter for sure. The original Teflon bushings were still in decent shape. The job was much harder than it was back in ‘09, getting old sucks. To the OP’s idea of dripping oil down the shaft, the OEM shifter has just a plastic bearing on the pivot point. I wonder how long that holds up to really aggressive shifting.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:29 AM   #17
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Have you ever shifted a ZL1 shifter? MUCH shorter & smoother than stock shifter. I wouldn't have believed it until I drove one.
Yes sir - the ZL1/1LE/Factory Hurst is night and day better than the standard SS shifter. It's not any smoother to me, I think that has a LOT to do with the actual transmission, but it's got a shorter, nicer throw for sure, and the weighting is pretty good. If I found cause to change my stock shift, that's what I would be dropping in.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:47 AM   #18
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Try Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/manual-sync...uid-5w-30-mtf/
Did you notice a difference, and is it compatible versus the GM stock fluid?

Choice of, and recommendations for what fluid to use are all over the map.

And, one of the first things I did was install a Ram Clutch Adjuster, as I hated the clutch engaging at almost the top of the pedal travel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...SABEgK70fD_BwE
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158901
Attached Images

hesster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #19
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Did you notice a difference, and is it compatible versus the GM stock fluid?

Choice of, and recommendations for what fluid to use are all over the map.

And, one of the first things I did was install a Ram Clutch Adjuster, as I hated the clutch engaging at almost the top of the pedal travel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...SABEgK70fD_BwE
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158901
I have the Aisin AY6 six-speed manual that was standard for the 2010 V6 Camaro and they are IMO crap transmissions and not a very smooth to shift transmission, but the Amsoil did seem to help. If by "compatible versus the GM stock fluid" you mean mixing the two I wouldn`t do it, as a replacement for gear fluid GM uses every research I did back in 2010 suggested the Amsoil was better than the OEM fluid.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #20
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
MGW. Better shift than factory.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #21
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
All I keep hearing about is the MGW Shifter and I may try it at some point, I have heard the later OEM Hurst are better then the earlier versions, the 1 in My 14 2SS is quite good, Is this the same as the 1LE/Zl1?

I had a Hurst that I bought in the Early 90's in my 3rd Gen and that was the best shifting car I ever drove ( I have driven all kinds of car's on the track ). It was Short throw and a very positive engagement. If the MGW is half as good as that one was I would be very happy.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:04 AM   #22
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Disclaimer: anyone that has additional HELPFUL points please add to list

A good shifting experience is multifaceted in the 5th gen Camaros.

1) Clean Clutch Fluid, this may include separating the clutch and brake fluid as most drivers don’t flush their brake fluid frequently enough to keep nasty fluid out of the throw out bearing.

2) bleeding clutch fluid on a frequent bases or earlier if needed. This might include “ranger” flushes on a separate clutch reservoir.

3) maintaining quality transmission fluid, GM fluid per owners manual.
I personally like Redline

4) a quality throwout bearing or at least a billet aluminum bearing sleeve to get rid of the plastic one(if you’re in that deep anyway) as well as an easy bleeder line setup

5) snake oil on your factory shifter or if you prefer a bit tighter shift the MGW can be icing on the cake of your already smooth, well maintained gear rowing system.
But the MGW WILL NOT FIX YOUR POORLY MAINTAINED AND OPERATING clutch system

Good luck
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #23
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
I had a chance to drive both Hurst and MGW. I chose this. the only downside was the wait to get it, about a month.
Attached Images

hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Had a MGW short throw after the stock POS kept hitting the gates causing carnage, loved it for many years and a Holden GT separate clutch reservoir and a Monster lt1s clutch shifted like stock but held better....
Old 06-06-2022, 05:50 AM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Disclaimer: anyone that has additional HELPFUL points please add to list

A good shifting experience is multifaceted in the 5th gen Camaros.

1) Clean Clutch Fluid, this may include separating the clutch and brake fluid as most drivers don’t flush their brake fluid frequently enough to keep nasty fluid out of the throw out bearing.

2) bleeding clutch fluid on a frequent bases or earlier if needed. This might include “ranger” flushes on a separate clutch reservoir.

3) maintaining quality transmission fluid, GM fluid per owners manual.
I personally like Redline

4) a quality throwout bearing or at least a billet aluminum bearing sleeve to get rid of the plastic one(if you’re in that deep anyway) as well as an easy bleeder line setup

5) snake oil on your factory shifter or if you prefer a bit tighter shift the MGW can be icing on the cake of your already smooth, well maintained gear rowing system.
But the MGW WILL NOT FIX YOUR POORLY MAINTAINED AND OPERATING clutch system

Good luck
This looks like a really good list to me.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:28 AM   #26
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Had a MGW short throw after the stock POS kept hitting the gates causing carnage, loved it for many years and a Holden GT separate clutch reservoir and a Monster lt1s clutch shifted like stock but held better....
Do you still have your 2013 SS ?
Old 06-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #27
brydell

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I ordered my 2011 2SS RS with the factory Hurst Short Shifter. It works as advertised and is perfect. Wouldn't change it for anything.
brydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #28
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydell View Post
I ordered my 2011 2SS RS with the factory Hurst Short Shifter. It works as advertised and is perfect. Wouldn't change it for anything.
Can you put a Hurst Billet chrome lever on the factory Hurst shifter?