Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Brake failure at Watkins Glen. Time to upgrade.

Well, pretty soon the name Stock Boy is no longer going to apply. I ran Watkins Glen this past weekend with PCA. The car is on the stock Goodyears and I was running braided lines, Carbotech XP12/XP10 and RBF600. Temps were in the mid 70s.

On the first day the brake pedal was getting spongy at the end of each session. The morning of the second day I did a complete flush and bleed with brand new RBF600. It was ok for a couple more runs.

During my last run, as I came up the back straight for the bus stop, I got on the brakes earlier than usual just to be safe since it was towards the end of the session. The pedal went straight to the floor. I was able to pump it and get through the bus stop (probably faster than I ever have before) and bring it in. My calipers are now black from the heat.

I know a lot of people say the stock brakes are fine for a stock car, well, that's just not true for my situation anymore. I like to brake hard and late at the track, and I've never had an issue before with other cars.

So now it's time to make sure I never have my life flash before my eyes (well, at least when it comes to braking) like that again. My current plan is to get some venting in there. I've looked at posts talking about it in the past and I've even asked about running it through the fog lights. It's time to do that. I'm also going to run Castrol SRF, which is expensive as hell, but it's supposed to be pretty much top of the line. Now it just comes down to replacing these calipers. I'm wondering if the ZL1/CTSV upgrade will be enough. The rotors are only 15mm bigger however you are getting the benefit of the six piston pads. Stoptech has some large rotors with their BBK, but they are quite costly.

I'm hoping to hear back from you track guys to hear what your experiences are as well as recommendations. I absolutely love tracking this car, but I need confidence in it.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Is this the heaviest car you have ever tracked?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Buy the Z/28 carbon brakes, problem solved.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Thats a bummer you guys are having issues, mine are spot on.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Stock Boy

Hey Dropspeed. Glad you chimed in. I've been extensively reading your posts. Haha! I was actually going to PM you. Yes, this is the heaviest car I've tracked by a few hundred pounds. I wasn't really pushing it like I usually do once I noticed an issue and I still managed to boil my fluid.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
When you see the ZL1 rotors you will notice a significant difference in width, weight, and cooling vane design. Quantum ducts are very nice and easy to put in.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Thats a bummer you guys are having issues, mine are spot on.
Hey Cornerspeed. What kind of brake set up are you running? Any cooling?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
When you see the ZL1 rotors you will notice a significant difference in width, weight, and cooling vane design. Quantum ducts are very nice and easy to put in.
Thanks for the info....I definitely plan on going with the ducts.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
My guess is the pads are generating more heat because they are providing more stopping power than the stock pads which might be why Cornerspeed isn't having the same problem, just my take on it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
First the disclaimer: I have only done one track day so far with the Camaro but I have done them before with my MINI (big brakes, track pads and "R" rated tires).

So far I have installed the CTSV 6 pot brakes with SS lines front and rear and Motul 600 fluid. I also installed brake cooling ducts using a combination of Quantum backing plates and other misc parts (lots of info on the site). The braking from the CTSV setup was an immediate improvement, even just during spirited driving, but I'll bet the cooling ducts made the biggest improvement. During my track day I ran the first 2 sessions fairly easy, getting used to the bigger, heavier car and lots more power than the MINI. The 2nd two sessions I stepped it up, braking much later and generally pushing a lot harder. I saw no brake fading or soft peddle at any time. I am using the factory pads made by Federo and expect a set to last 2 track days unless they wear much more than the first event. The white lettering on the front calipers is now yellow but the red is still red so I might not be working them as hard as the OP. The first item to add would be the cooling and then see how it goes, or go for the gusto and step up to the better CTSV setup.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
That is probably the best and most affordable setup short of having track pads for track use only.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
My guess is the pads are generating more heat because they are providing more stopping power than the stock pads which might be why Cornerspeed isn't having the same problem, just my take on it.
Watkins Glen is known as a serious brake killing track so what works at other tracks may not work there.You can't always directly compare brake wear/failure from one track to another. Hence why my stock pads fell apart in my hands during inspection a couple years ago but his have been doing fine.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
Hey Cornerspeed. What kind of brake set up are you running? Any cooling?
Im stock except stainless lines, and yes i have the Quantum brake cooling set up.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Stock Boy

Well guys, I don't know if it's the margarita I'm drinking, but I ordered all the parts for the CTS-V upgrade just now.... now for the cooling ducts....