Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
I'd be willing to pay mid-30's for my V8, lesser optioned, non "killer" version. I dont care what badges it has.

However, considering 4th gen, the SS sure did have better specs than the Z28.

Given this, the "SS" badge is WAY over-used. Why not just give us a V8 Camaro without special badging first, then give us the "Z28" later?

Thats what I would like to see. Z28=Camaro performance.

SS = (in modern terms) a badge put on a vehicle that has nothing special about it (disregarding 4th gen, of course).

I'm still WAY too confused over this. and THAT's a shame, because way too many will be also.

I guess it boils down to: if the "killer car" has something like a "ZL-2" badge, would we all revolt, or would we just buy it, and use the aftermarket to make it a "retro-mod" as we see fit?

Thats a tough question. Seriously. I would have to weigh nostalgia and history over "now."

Thoughts?

Is the badge on the "killer" a deal breaker?

Not for me, unless they call it the "X8BSED-4"

LOL.
I agree with everything here, and have read, and (myself) posted similar: the "SS" badge is put on dang near everything. It's not special anymore (to me anyways.) No offense to Cobalt, Trailblazer, Silverado, etc. drivers and such, but if all those vehicles can be called an SS, where's the significance to the name? I'm biased to Z28 as a top dog simply because I think that name is the essence of the Camaro and performance. But I digress...

I think the prices posted would be pretty reasonable and I don't think it would be totally out of line to have a GT-fighter in the low-40s (although I'm not sure I could afford it at that point I think if GM were to be able to stay somewhat close to these numbers, there would be a lot of happy enthusiasts, and many more happy customers willing to buy this car.

Not to nit-pick, but the LS3, LS9, LSA, and LS8 are 6.2L (6200 cc) engines

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs

Last edited by radz28; 04-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The SS moniker was all over everything back in the day, too. Was it not? Chevelle SS, Camaro SS (some of them), etc...But that waas back before they had to "clean up" their act, and all the real muscle/performance cars went away. What do you want? This is the new Age of SS. In any event, I think the Camaro will do the name plenty good.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah; I believe SSs were distinguished by backed-out rear panels, like Berger had done with $th Gens. I agree it's a new age and that it will definately do the SS badge justice; I'm just stirring-up sh*t

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The SS moniker was all over everything back in the day, too. Was it not? Chevelle SS, Camaro SS (some of them), etc...But that waas back before they had to "clean up" their act, and all the real muscle/performance cars went away. What do you want? This is the new Age of SS. In any event, I think the Camaro will do the name plenty good.
I've been saying this for a long time. The Super Sport was in masses back then, too. We like to look back at the nostalgic glory days of muscle, but we have to remember that those days were just average at the time. There wasn't much SS representation between then and now because performance wasn't a priority. I'm actually glad that Chevrolet has badged so many cars with SS monikers as if to back up legendary performance with a reputation. Look at every car with the SS emblem. They all are at the top of their classes, outperforming or competing aggressively with cars in their classes.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Even though I get a little dark with how much SS is used nowadays, at least, like The Blur said, they back it up with real racetrack testing most of the time. It's just not a badge they slap on with some stripes and wheels, but a whole package. I will definately give props' to that.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #34
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
the LS3 is 6.2 not 6.0. Also why would they make the Z28 faster than the SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
From this site.

Build Your 2009 Camaro thread II (Prices Included)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you saw a few months ago I put together a model and options list for the new Camaro.

Since then, different models, engines and content have been mentioned here.

• Engine: 420 hp 6.0L 6000 V8 LS3 with DOD

Don't kill the messenger : )
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #35
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
NNOOOOOO!!! dont get them started on the Z28 SS ZL1 SSDS versions of the camaro,,,,Not again