Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Really dig that sig pic! Hopefully the preorders will show they need to be more like 60/40. Im going ss nothing wrong w the v6 just if Im gonna go Im going all in I mean maybe if it got 15 mpg more lol
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Our district rep quoted HP numbers back in June. I to Scott about this, and he told me NOT to quote what was said at our district meeting. (because they were wrong)

I told Scott we were told October 15th as the order day, the Friday BEFORE Indy, at a Chevy District meeting in Chicago. He said it will be October 13th.

I don't take any district news too seriously any more.....I take TWO thing seriously.

Scott Settlemire
and what is finally posted on GM Dealerworld & our Chevy launch website.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
Hi Everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers that the posting of 26 MPG for the V6 and 23 MPG for the V8 was based on the Auto Transmission. However, it is usually well known that Manual Trans offer slightly better fuel economy than Automatics... although it is usually up to the driver to find the best gears.
Not necessarily true anymore...if you poke around a bit, I think you'll find more than a couple car lines where the auto is actually more fuel efficient than the manual. Mostly, because it was programmed to shift that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
My point is that the V6 with Auto has a feature which essentually turns it into a 3 Cyl. when powere is not required and the V8 ( L99 ) becomes a 4 cyl. for the same reason. This practice was and currently is used on the Impala 3.9 V6 and SS 5.3 V8 and has shown to greatly improve overall fuel economy in these vehicles. If that is the case with the camaro too... are the estimates posted of 26 and 23 taking into this account this feature or are they just figuring that everyone will be driving the pedal to the metal way?
Anyone have an idea, please let me know! Thanks :fighting0040:
Unfortunately, that cylinder cut-off feature (known as AFM) is not on the V6 in this car. GM's version relies on pushrods to work, which the 3.6L does not have; it's DOHC. You're right in that the V8 does have that feature, though.

And the fuel economy estimates that GM put out are not EPA numbers. We were told that the V6, after EPA testing, would probably show 27mpg hwy -- but nobody knows for certain...because either they haven't been tested, or the numbers aren't released, yet. But it's safe to assume that the numbers were found during average driving. (not granny-slow, but not raceway-habits, either)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I can accept this number. Maybe this is just the minimum. If people order V8s, GM will not make the mistake of limiting the number. I would expect actual production to come out higher than 20%. This is probably just an estimate based on market trends.

As usual, I want fbodfather to back this up before I take it for face value.
I Second that.

If I recall correctly GM has stated before that their would be penlty V8s. I'll see if I can find it.
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #19
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
20% on first batch of V8's. I smell dealer mark up over MSRP. shit, shit, shit, shit.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I think it'll be more like 30%, but we'll see. There will be enough to go around, I think.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #21
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Irequested a 50k payout of my 401k to purchase a ss/rs model with all the bells and wistles. I need to know if there are fare dealers around chicago that I can trust so I can get one. I wouls like to get it on my b-day in april if possible. anyone here can help me out?
zforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
Ry4nVan

Drives: Currently (Toyota Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
Irequested a 50k payout of my 401k to purchase a ss/rs model with all the bells and wistles. I need to know if there are fare dealers around chicago that I can trust so I can get one. I wouls like to get it on my b-day in april if possible. anyone here can help me out?
I hope you're in a decent tax bracket now or else that may hurt. Or was it already taxed? I use TSP in the military. Not sure how the 401K works.
Ry4nVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #23
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
What happened to "there will be plenty for everyone." Eventually there will be plenty for everyone, but not at first.

This will just give local dealerships even more reason to raise the price "market adjustment."

As mentioned, GM did the same thing with the G8. The dealerships got stuck with a bunch of V6 models and customers walked off the lots because they wanted the G8 GT. Then GM tried to hurry up and flood the market with G8 GTs. But it was too late.
Now G8 GT's are lined up on lots all over the country without buyers.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The V6 was always going to be the bigger seller and it will be the car that GM needs to sell because the SS will sell itself. Will it be easy to get? no. But GM will ramp up production to meet the demand if its there. You are just going to have to get your car in april or possibly may instead of march.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not necessarily true anymore...if you poke around a bit, I think you'll find more than a couple car lines where the auto is actually more fuel efficient than the manual. Mostly, because it was programmed to shift that way...

Unfortunately, that cylinder cut-off feature (known as AFM) is not on the V6 in this car. GM's version relies on pushrods to work, which the 3.6L does not have; it's DOHC. You're right in that the V8 does have that feature, though.

And the fuel economy estimates that GM put out are not EPA numbers. We were told that the V6, after EPA testing, would probably show 27mpg hwy -- but nobody knows for certain...because either they haven't been tested, or the numbers aren't released, yet. But it's safe to assume that the numbers were found during average driving. (not granny-slow, but not raceway-habits, either)

Thanks for correcting me on the V6... thought both had AFM feature ! Perhaps, I may opt for the V8 instead !

Anyways, thanks for correcting me!
Attached Images

RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i hate sales man like that, that try to sell you on something else because they dont think you will be able to get something. "yeah here have this v6 becasue you probably wont be able to get a v8". that makes me mad.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
Drsandman2

Drives: None
Thats Funny

Long time reader and first-time poster here...

So, 20% are going to be V8s? Interesting to note that there are about 8 times more threads in the V8 section of this forum over the V6 section.
Drsandman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #28
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsandman2 View Post
Long time reader and first-time poster here...

So, 20% are going to be V8s? Interesting to note that there are about 8 times more threads in the V8 section of this forum over the V6 section.
That's not necessarily true. There will probably be more V6 threads about beating Mustang GTs with bolt-ons and a tune.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote