Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #29
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
First of all, to some on here remember to respect people's posts and opinions. If you don't agree just say so without making personal attacks.

To the OP, there are a couple of things at play in the design of the Camaro. If you notice, the actual production car is almost identical to the original concept car. This is something that doesn't happen very often. Because of that, some aspects of the car had to be sacrificed (I would say visibility is perhaps one of the key ones). Also, trying to make this car appeal to as many people as possible also causes further sacrifices (e.g. giving it a more comfortable ride for highway time while still maintaining some track aspects for the weekend racer). GM needed to sell a bunch of these right out of the gate so they needed to make a car that "fits" as many people as possible. If a Z/28 comes out, that may be more focused at those people who want a more race-ready car and along with that may come better handling and a different (read more uncomfortable for the everyday driver) ride.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily disagree with you. The handling could be better and at first I too was cautious with the car. However, the more I drive it and learn how it responds to my actions and to conditions on the road, the more comfortable I get with the car. I think that is true with any car I have ever gotten into to. This one is just amplified because it has a ton of power pushing it. Find a nice road with lots of curves and not much traffic (I have the luxury of living on one so I get lots of practice). Drive it over and over and push the car a little bit different each run. Turn off the radio and pay attention to the way the car responds. Learn how the car drives. If after that you still don't feel comfortable in the car, then I would agree with some other posts - get rid of it. However, if you give it a chance and learn how it handles, I think you will fall in love with it. I can tell you that I try to find every excuse to get mine out. A run to the store 5 minutes away for milk. Commute to work. Run out and get the mail. Whatever. I love driving this car. I love the feel and the sound when I mash the gas. I love the roll when I get into a corner. Stick with it and give it a chance.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #30
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
70's-90's muscle refers to this generalization, modern muscle implies those points as well as an ability to handle...otherwise we'd still be rockin' solid rear axles instead of IRS, and we wouldn't be using german engineering in our suspensions....you can have it all. Maybe factory is a little too numb for some folks, but then you get top suspension manufacturers producing coilovers and sways that make these cars stick like glue in the corners if that's what you like to do in between 1/4 mile runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARS-SS View Post
The American muscle car isn't about cornering or handling, it's about raw unadulterated power.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #31
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
IF you do suspension work, DO NOT just get lowering springs, take your time and do it right. MY OPINION from experiance.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #32
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i have to agree with most on this post, if you buy a camaro you already know what you are buying a raw american sports coupe and for the price you pay you dont expect everything, thats why its 23-35k to buy one, if you wanted a perfect car you spend double or triple on the car. american sports cars are known for going fast and enjoyment. they are not made to run the nurenburg ring. if you want a car to do that you buy a zr1. the factory doesnt make things perfect for a reason, AFTERMARKET!! the big 3 in america have been leaving room to make there cars better with there performance parts companies. it means more capital in there pockets why do an upgraded swaybar from the factory when it might cost them 30 bucks when they can have you order it from there performance parts company and charge you 300. is it fair no, is it good business yes. people who buy these american sports cars such as the camaro enjoy takeing it to there mechanics or wrenching on it themselves on the weekend by themselves , with there kids or with buddys drinking a beer, its just the american way. i currently drive a 2007 infiniti g35x and i hate it meanwhile there is one everywhere i look and mostly everyone loves the car but its not me, so when the lease is up im getting rid of it(only got it to help out my brother and transfered lease to me) because i do not love getting it and just going for a drive. in short know what to expect and if you dont love it get rid of it! GM 4 Life
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #33
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Pfadt sway bars help the feel of the car big time.
install pfadt coil springs too...the way it drives and handles is SO much better. Feels like a smaller car and you feel the road (and feel planted to it) without being too harsh.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #34
Arioch

Drives: 2010 Camaro Victory Red 2SSRS
I'm guessing from doing research on pedders products, upgrading the suspension is really going to give you a much closer feel to what you want. But if you dont want to do any mods then you might want to sell it.

My last car was a pontiac solstice. It was very nimble. There is a difference between the camaro and the solstice. I love my camaro way more than the solstice even though the solstice was a totally fun car to drive.

I found that the camaro feels like it cant handle cornering very well, but I actually pushed it one time and found that the more you push it the better it handles when going around corners. Its hard to explain but it was kind of the opposite of what I experienced with other vehicles. With the camaro the more I pushed it the more it held me in place. So initially I thought it couldnt corner very well but then when I really started to test it I found that it handled about 70% as well as my solstice.

After nearly a year of owning the car it puts a smile on my face every time I drive. I want to drive, I love to drive, it makes me feel really good when I drive it. No other car has done this for me at the same level of intensity that this Camaro has. I look for excuses to drive it.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #35
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
The Camaro handles Way better than my Yugo!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
First of all, to some on here remember to respect people's posts and opinions. If you don't agree just say so without making personal attacks.

To the OP, there are a couple of things at play in the design of the Camaro. If you notice, the actual production car is almost identical to the original concept car. This is something that doesn't happen very often. Because of that, some aspects of the car had to be sacrificed (I would say visibility is perhaps one of the key ones). Also, trying to make this car appeal to as many people as possible also causes further sacrifices (e.g. giving it a more comfortable ride for highway time while still maintaining some track aspects for the weekend racer). GM needed to sell a bunch of these right out of the gate so they needed to make a car that "fits" as many people as possible. If a Z/28 comes out, that may be more focused at those people who want a more race-ready car and along with that may come better handling and a different (read more uncomfortable for the everyday driver) ride.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily disagree with you. The handling could be better and at first I too was cautious with the car. However, the more I drive it and learn how it responds to my actions and to conditions on the road, the more comfortable I get with the car. I think that is true with any car I have ever gotten into to. This one is just amplified because it has a ton of power pushing it. Find a nice road with lots of curves and not much traffic (I have the luxury of living on one so I get lots of practice). Drive it over and over and push the car a little bit different each run. Turn off the radio and pay attention to the way the car responds. Learn how the car drives. If after that you still don't feel comfortable in the car, then I would agree with some other posts - get rid of it. However, if you give it a chance and learn how it handles, I think you will fall in love with it. I can tell you that I try to find every excuse to get mine out. A run to the store 5 minutes away for milk. Commute to work. Run out and get the mail. Whatever. I love driving this car. I love the feel and the sound when I mash the gas. I love the roll when I get into a corner. Stick with it and give it a chance.
Nicely written!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
jezzaaa

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARS-SS View Post
jezzaaa,
I'm guessing by your area (UAE) and your Oxford English, that you are not American. And judging by your statements (I have had a lot of performance cars...) that you're probably rich. The American muscle car isn't about cornering or handling, it's about raw unadulterated power. It's about horsepower, gas guzzling, and 1/4 runs. It's about sitting in the parking lot of your H.S. and all your friends wanting to pile into YOUR car. Ok, I may have gone too far, but still...the Camaro is an amazing buy at around 40K. But, if you want, go to Europe and spend that 40K on a couple Elise's or a Mercedes.

Bottom line: This car is not a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Hi Bears - Correct on the Englishness but not so on the richness...you don't have to be rich to own a Boxster or a Z4 or a 5 series these days. I'm not talking Lambos or Ferrari's either. This is all about comparable cars. And I agree on the value for money front too...I just don't think it would have been too much more effort/cost to have made it that tiny bit more special. Maybe GM will sort this aspect out for the 2011 models.

Please don't take my comments personally...I'm not some trolling Mustang owner (although I did have one for my last car) trying to pee you all off...just a real owner airing my thoughts, interested to see if anyone else is having the same experience. And there are a few who have. Best to leave it here before I upset anyone else!

Have a good weekend all.

J.
jezzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #38
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzaaa View Post
Hi Wullger...well yeah, I guess I could...but I'm not really into that stuff. Would rather the manufacturer made it right in the first place!
They did that, this is a musclecar not a sportscar. You shoulda bought a vette or what not.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Guys -- relax. Seriously.

He offered his opinion on his car...and if I'm reading the same thing you all are -- his opinion is overall positive.
There's no need to get all defensive about it. Please -- Camaro means "friend, pal, or comrade"...there's no need to put anyone down.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #40
BEARS-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzaaa View Post
Hi Bears - Correct on the Englishness but not so on the richness...you don't have to be rich to own a Boxster or a Z4 or a 5 series these days. I'm not talking Lambos or Ferrari's either. This is all about comparable cars. And I agree on the value for money front too...I just don't think it would have been too much more effort/cost to have made it that tiny bit more special. Maybe GM will sort this aspect out for the 2011 models.

Please don't take my comments personally...I'm not some trolling Mustang owner (although I did have one for my last car) trying to pee you all off...just a real owner airing my thoughts, interested to see if anyone else is having the same experience. And there are a few who have. Best to leave it here before I upset anyone else!

Have a good weekend all.

J.

I in no way meant to offend either. I understand what you're saying and after driving what you have I understand your thoughts. I was just trying to illustrate the difference between American muscle and Euro-engineering (well, in my mind). I know we're getting more and more of the latter in our cars, but to me...American muscle means feeling the chassis twist when you drop it into gear. Not so much handling as power. That's all I was trying to say. Just my .02...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #41
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
I don't drive fast enough around corners to notice any under steer or handling issues but I have seen some reviews from pro's that mention it so if that is something that concerns you there are some suspension mods available to help with that. It would be fun to take it to a track and try to push it around and see how it handles but driving around town it's not practical to try high speed turns.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #42
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
dude, you seen the way the drive over there?!?! They need all the handling improvements they can get, those guys is nuts!!!

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote