Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #141
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I do a bottle every change of season.
What chemical do you use?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #142
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
use seafoam. Clean the top of your engine with the half of the bottle than use the other hald and run it through the gas tank. Run your car for about 50 miles than change your oil. you will be glad you did. I plan to seafoam every 10k miles after I seen what came out of those tail pipes
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #143
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
use seafoam. Clean the top of your engine with the half of the bottle than use the other hald and run it through the gas tank. Run your car for about 50 miles than change your oil. you will be glad you did. I plan to seafoam every 10k miles after I seen what came out of those tail pipes
I used BG chemicals when I installed my catch can, that's what Lindsay Cadillac uses. Only problem is you can't get that easy commercially unless you know someone that works at a shop that uses it. Seafoam is an easy to get option, but I've heard/read stories about it locking engines up going in through the throttle body.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #144
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I actually never used seafoam or any cleaning agent in none of my cars but I also never really had the reason to either. However, I did follow the direction that was posted by a mod here on c5 and it actually worked better than I had expected The direction was for fuel system/injectors cleaning, top engine cleaning, and engine oil system cleaning. I did everything except for oil system cleaning where you have to put 1 oz of seafoam for every quart of oil. I actually left that one alone. The other two just require ingestion through the brake booster and gas tank accordingly. It was as simple and easy as 123 and the result was very good. After the oil change the car felt better all around.

I say as long as its used properly seafoam is everything people make it to be and more

I will definitely be seafoming my car every 10k!

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #145
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
bmorecam,

I was impressed with the Seafoam in mine as well. I run it through my Harley every spring as well. I can assure you after doing this and then pulling the heads on the Harley that it works. One thing I noticed on my car though was that it tripped something in the ECU to cause it to feel a little sluggish after the Seafoam. I have been dealing with a bad coil(s) issue though so maybe it was just from weak spark that caused it for me. But I had to pull the battery cables over night for it to reset things and run stronger again. This is why I posted a few back that I was surprised GM stated to do this in the procedure you posted because I was under the impression the Bosch ECM didn't need this. I can assure you though mine benefitted from the cable pull over night. I turn the headlights on, pull the cables and let it sit over night.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #146
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
So the seafoam really helped? Anyone want to make a DIY?

I remember I did it on my old car with 180,000 miles, my god Ive never seen so much smoke...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #147
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
bmorecam,

I was impressed with the Seafoam in mine as well. I run it through my Harley every spring as well. I can assure you after doing this and then pulling the heads on the Harley that it works. One thing I noticed on my car though was that it tripped something in the ECU to cause it to feel a little sluggish after the Seafoam. I have been dealing with a bad coil(s) issue though so maybe it was just from weak spark that caused it for me. But I had to pull the battery cables over night for it to reset things and run stronger again. This is why I posted a few back that I was surprised GM stated to do this in the procedure you posted because I was under the impression the Bosch ECM didn't need this. I can assure you though mine benefitted from the cable pull over night. I turn the headlights on, pull the cables and let it sit over night.
Fuse pull did the exact same thing for me, but no one will believe me.
Car was sluggish and it brought it back to life, even the rear pipes are clean as a whistle.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #148
Shu71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
So the seafoam really helped? Anyone want to make a DIY?

I remember I did it on my old car with 180,000 miles, my god Ive never seen so much smoke...
Seafoam has lots of video's already on their website. It really is an easy process. I recommend the spray can though due to the intake track cleaning required for the LLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Fuse pull did the exact same thing for me, but no one will believe me.
Car was sluggish and it brought it back to life, even the rear pipes are clean as a whistle.
I noticed my tailpipes stay cleaner longer now too. Funny thing is I have only EVER put 93 octane in this thing. And I noticed it started up and idled smoother cold after the fuel trim reset.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #149
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I use GM's Top Engine cleaner. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Seafoam so I've always used GM's Top Engine cleaner (every 30k miles) in conjuction with Chevron Techron (every other oil change).

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #150
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Here's a good discussion on the engine cleaner topic: http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...eafoam-vs.html

I for one would not put any chemicals inside my engine. I would not want to risk washing oil off the cylinder walls and damaging the rings and walls. That will really decrease your power. An oil catch can is all I need. You will never be able to keep the inside of the motor squeaky clean like the day it came off the assembly line. Light carbon buildup is normal and will not mess with performance all that much.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 03-20-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #151
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Here's a good discussion on the engine cleaner topic: http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...eafoam-vs.html

I for one would not put any chemicals inside my engine. I would not want to risk washing oil off the cylinder walls and damaging the rings and walls. That will really decrease your power. An oil catch can is all I need. You will never be able to keep the inside of the motor squeaky clean like the day it came off the assembly line. Light carbon buildup is normal and will not mess with performance all that much.
Agreed, I am not into heavy chemicals either, all this car needs is top tier gas, occasional fuel injection cleaner and for me intake valve lube once in a while.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #152
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Mach, that was a interesting discussion on LS1tech. One thing I didn't do was to put seafoam into my engine oil. I was actually about to say eff it and do it, but couple peoples that I respect very much advised me against it. I'm very glad that I didn't do that part However, I did use seafoam for top engine cleaning and fuel system cleaning and turned out very well. Maybe next time I will try the GM top engine cleaning solution see how it compare.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #153
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Just a note on LFX's, one has to wonder if Techron provides the same valve deposit cleansing on our GDI engines!
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #154
Shu71

On Direct Injection, running fuel system cleaner through the gas tank will only clean the injector and the cylinders but not the back side of the intake valve. This is why you have to use something like Seafoam to clean that intake track of oil from blowby and then the back of the intake valve.