Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Cold start misfires. I think this is more serious than I thought!

I am freaking disappointed/angry/worried as I don't know WTH is going on right now. I'm not sure if this is related to the new cam phase adjustment testing me and vince been doing for these last few months, but like a month after I been driving with the new tune, every now and then my car would choke, bog, and basically act like couple cylinders are not firing only during cold start, but as soon as the rpm come down, it would be as smooth as butter like the hard start did not even occur and no CEL.
Anyway, just a few days ago it happened again, but this time I got a CEL for multiple misfire on cylinder 2 and 5. I cleared the code and reverted back to the old tune, the next morning it happened again, another CEL for misfire during cold start, I cleared the code and decided to run some techron fuel system cleaner, the next cold start was ok, the cold start still seemed a little rough than usual but no CEL and not as boggy and no choking. cold start again just about an hour ago but this time I monitored the misfires in real time, cold start was ok as before, a little rough than usual again but no CEL, but the crazy thing is that I am seeing 34 misfires in cylinder 1 and couple on all cylinders. No CEL yet but there was a pending misfire CEL on cylinder number 3 this time.

I need some help from you guys this time. It seem this is only happening during cold start only. After the initial cold start everything is smooth as butter with not even 1 misfire on any of the cylinders. If I had to guess it look like a problem that is persisting, but I don't know what it could be

I need your expertise on this guys.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Do you think you could be experiencing a timing chain problem? Just a thought that occured to me, after reading about some of the blown engine reports.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I don't know, I thought about that but what are timing chain symptoms?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
1) Time to get the injectors checked out.
Or
2) Bad seals in the cylinders?

If this stuff keeps happening, sooner or later you gonna get some knocking probably, take it to the dealer fast.

Also, did you install the tune right after the insulators? I don't think the ported IM would be an issue, because I think you had that done for a long time now.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Pull any of the plugs? Compression check?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
1) Time to get the injectors checked out.
Or
2) Bad seals in the cylinders?

If this stuff keeps happening, sooner or later you gonna get some knocking probably, take it to the dealer fast.

Also, did you install the tune right after the insulators? I don't think the ported IM would be an issue, because I think you had that done for a long time now.
This problem started happening after me and vince been testing the new tune. I really do not want to deal with the dealer right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Pull any of the plugs? Compression check?
None yet.. but it look like that will have to be my next step.

WTH could be making my car misfire like this only on cold start tho?? then everything is perfect
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

If this was not a Direct Injection motor I would recomend testing out the fuel pump. Do you have a way to tell if the fuel delivery system is having some issues getting fuel up to pressure after it has sat.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I already checked the HPFP fuel pressure and it's normal, oil pressure normal.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
You might try going back to factory tune then loading in a later tune without the cam phasing. Or you could force a full write tune. It could be you loaded a few tune files that are tweaking only part of the configuration file that is in conflict with some other modified table.

Just a wild guess.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
This problem started happening after me and vince been testing the new tune. I really do not want to deal with the dealer right now

None yet.. but it look like that will have to be my next step.

WTH could be making my car misfire like this only on cold start tho?? then everything is perfect
With my recent electrical issues, I am having similar issues, not misfires, but the experience is very similar.

The car won't cold start right away, starter acts real sluggish, but then the rest of the day the car works fine. Weird. And the problems only happen when I leave the car overnight.

Have you tried installing the tune that was prior to this new one? Maybe install the stock tune, drive around, and then install the one that was working fine. Stranger things have worked

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
bmorecam
Account Suspended

The 1st thing I did was to go back to the old tune that everyone has, force full write. That is the tune I am running now and still same misfire. Not sure if the problem started with the new tune we been testing or this is a problem that was going to happen, I have no clue. I'm just scared that I burned one of my pistons or valves from running too much dynamic compression and timing. That would be my worst fear. I don't think so tho because it only happens during that small window during cold start. Some are saying my coil pack might be bad. I do run the dyno alot so maybe my wires are rigged from the rpm pick up sensor???

anyone know how our cylinders line up? which one is cy1, 2 and 5?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
bmorecam
Account Suspended

This is bulshyt I can't believe this is happening to me after I decided to keep her in my life LOL.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
The 1st thing I did was to go back to the old tune that everyone has, force full write. That is the tune I am running now and still same misfire. Not sure if the problem started with the new tune we been testing or this is a problem that was going to happen, I have no clue. I'm just scared that I burned one of my pistons or valves from running too much dynamic compression and timing. That would be my worst fear. I don't think so tho because it only happens during that small window during cold start. Some are saying my coil pack might be bad. I do run the dyno alot so maybe my wires are rigged from the rpm pick up sensor???

anyone know how our cylinders line up? which one is cy1, 2 and 5?

Sorry to hear about the bad news, Don't give up hope yet. Maybe it is something simple. What are the mis fire codes that it is throwing out.

As for the firing order. I checked on yahoo and this is what came up.

http://*************/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396&p=7537

Trouble is (you see) the ********** is because the other site has the firing order posted. (other site is banned from being listed here)

Back of engine

5 6
3 4
1 2

Front of engine

Good luck and I wll do some more reading and searching.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

If you love them they are constantly testing you, just like a woman.