Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Scarrzz.... I really like Brian Beckmans last paragraph...

It looks like the ZL1 happens to be right on target for his prediction about the technology provided........ I disagree with him that the automatic is less enjoyable with regards to car control. It seems that you have to be more involved to know how the car will react with an auto than with a stick. You can "feather" the clutch on the stick, but the auto take more finess to get "right" coming into or out of corners does it not? I hope to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Oh, obviously.
That was an outstanding series out of Stuttgart. Here is a linky if anyone wants to read more about the physics behind our passion.

http://autopedia.com/stuttgart-west/StuttPhysics.html
In the highest forms of racing, where money is literally no object, cybernetics is already playing a critical role. The clutch-less seven speed transmissions of the Williams/Renault team dominated the latter half of the 1991 Formula 1 season. But for some unattributable bad luck, they would have won the driver's championship and the constructor's cup. Carrol Smith, noted racing engineer, has been predicting for years that ABS will show up in Formula 1 as soon as systems can be made small and light enough [2]. It seems inevitable to me that cybernetic systems will give the unfair advantage to those teams most awash in money. However, autocrossers, club racers, and other grass roots competitors will be spared the expense, and the experience of being relieved of the enjoyment of car control, for at least another decade or two
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #30
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
I have a feeling if you duct taped all the ducts off the front of the car, and put on some narrower rubber, remove any speed limiters, pull out the extra seats you could get pretty close to 200 at bonneville or somewhere like that. Will be cool to see what people do in that regard.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Just curious, I have NEVER driven a paddle shift automatic. While I LOVE the control a stick shift offers I prefer the everyday EASE of the automatic. I recall (many many years ago) driving a car with a floor shifter automatic. I was coming into a tight right corner and needed to either 1) HIT THE BRAKES or 2)DOWNSHIFT THE AUTO QUICKLY in order to make the corner and then have the power to pull through it.

WHAT DID I CHOOSE? I CHOSE OPTION 2. Because I wanted to make the car drive like my stickshift with the associated "fun factor"

WHAT HAPPENED? The car did NOT downshift quickly enough and I overshot the corner, resulting in an accident. Had I had a true stick shift, the RPM's and gearing would have quickly slowed the car down. The AUTO did not engage fast enough to make that happen and I was not familiar with the delay or prepared for the outcome.

SO, over the years I have toyed with automatics. NONE like the ZL1's. I have never seen or felt an auto that could "quickly" and confidently downshift without a "lag time".
And, UNLIKE a stick shift, where if you happen to select too low a gear, you can quickly engage the clutch to reduce RPMs, with the auto, you don't have as much margin for error.

Although I want the AUTO for everyday driving, is THIS NEW TRANSMISSION with paddle shifters going to provide the control of a stick without lagtime, without blowing up the motor if I inadvertently select 2 when I should have selected 3? It seems like the AUTO is not as forgiving. It might take MORE SKILL and experience/practice to drive properly. Then again, maybe it's TUNED to precision from the factory to make it more predictable. Dunno?

Does anyone care to share their ideas on this? I know this is a "TOP SPEED" thread. And I don't want to Hijack it. So, If you want to move it, ok with me. It seemed related however, because maybe I am seeing how to control the TOP SPEED of a SELECTED GEAR without losing control. dunno........ but its a slow day here on the board.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
My only experience with the auto was when I took a 1SS auto to Little Talladega road course with MTI back in '09. I did the fuse pull and let it sit overnight after running all the lower octane gas out and putting premium gas in. I played around with the paddle shifters the next day at the track but I felt the car was quicker in downshifting and rev matching(blipping the throttle) that I just put in sport mode and had fun. I drove it on the street also mostly in sport mode which again was fun, I did use the paddle shifter mostly in traffic to mimic the feel somewhat of having a manual. You will not be disappointed at all with the auto in my opinion even though I myself am leaning more towards the manual for my purchase. The 6L90 is only going to be a much better tuned transmission.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
is THIS NEW TRANSMISSION with paddle shifters going to provide the control of a stick without lagtime, without blowing up the motor if I inadvertently select 2 when I should have selected 3?
It'll never feel just like a manual, because in a manual when you're shifting, there's a lot going on...clutch, moving the shifter, etc...that "lag" is likely the same amount of time...but it seems like "lag" because you're not doing anything while it happens...

But anyways...the Z's auto should be quicker from all reports, and while it leaves gear selection totally up to the driver - it WON'T let you harm the engine under any circumstances.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Just curious, I have NEVER driven a paddle shift automatic. While I LOVE the control a stick shift offers I prefer the everyday EASE of the automatic. I recall (many many years ago) driving a car with a floor shifter automatic. I was coming into a tight right corner and needed to either 1) HIT THE BRAKES or 2)DOWNSHIFT THE AUTO QUICKLY in order to make the corner and then have the power to pull through it.

WHAT DID I CHOOSE? I CHOSE OPTION 2. Because I wanted to make the car drive like my stickshift with the associated "fun factor"

WHAT HAPPENED? The car did NOT downshift quickly enough and I overshot the corner, resulting in an accident. Had I had a true stick shift, the RPM's and gearing would have quickly slowed the car down. The AUTO did not engage fast enough to make that happen and I was not familiar with the delay or prepared for the outcome.
I'm sorry, but that is just bad driving. That is not the transmission's fault.
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote