Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Playing the waiting game.

So I was at another dealer today... because the deal on my pontiac fell through. We got to talking about the Camaro.

(aside)
This time I bit the bullet and made the long ass drive to southern WV to talk to the dealer my family always works with. I think I am going back down tomorrow to get a new cobalt because I got approved at 2.9 percent.
(/aside)

At anyrate, the lady told me she would be more than happy to give me the car at MSRP minus my supplier discount and what ever promotions are going at the time, but she advised against getting one for a few years after their release. She said that she was going to wait a few years herself for the kinks to be worked out.

I personally think that the following on this car is so huge that they are going to do everything humanly possible for there not to be kinks, and if there are then the will be handled very well.

What are your all feelings on this. Are you going to wait a few release years to get yours, or are you firm enough in your faith to get one of the first ones to role off the line?

Do you have anything to say about this Scott, that I may have missed when I was searching around the forum?
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
I bought one of the first generation Duramax diesel motors back in the fall of 2001, and the truck has been great since. There were injector issues with this motor, but gm extended the warranty until 200k. I personally am not going to wait as long as the final production model is what I want, oh and I can get a motor that has more HP than the GT 500.
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I plan on getting mine as soon as possible.

I purchased a first year of the redesigned Cavalier in 1995. And, to this day, it was THE best car I've ever owned. Never had a single problem with it, and I was NOT gentle.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If I could, I'd have no hesitations about getting it the first year. My faith in GM and this car ('s team) is strong enough.
However, I HAVE to wait, due to the whole college/timing thing....ugh
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If I could, I'd have no hesitations about getting it the first year. My faith in GM and this car ('s team) is strong enough.
However, I HAVE to wait, due to the whole college/timing thing....ugh
Ditto on my faith with how GM has been handling the Camaro from concept to pre-production, so I will only be waiting 3-4 months after the release.
I've waited my whole life for a beast like the Camaro, I will wait no longer than necessary!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm gonna wait for one year to see if the Gen V motors are as bad as we think they are. After that I will decide. Now if the LSA is offered in the first year... I may just bite the bullet. Tough call. I really want to see what the Gen V engines are all about.

I can see waiting since this is an entirely new car from the ground up... But I tend to agree that they've got a lot at stake and probably will have been extremely thurough prior to launch.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
No matter how much testing is done, its impossible to get all the bugs worked out. Chevy averages like 100 defects/vehicle. Not great, not bad either. There will be more driving hours in the Camaro in the first month than durring the entire test period I imagine. Bugs will pop up, nearly all will be covered by waranty. Some things relating to the Zeta platform will be found before it goes into full production, but there will be Camaro specific issues that won't be found 'till after its released.

If I had the option of buying right away I would still wait. But like Dragoneye, I will have to wait because I have a net worth of -$20 000 right now. That isn't going away before the Camaro hits the streets. And with with Canadian prices . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
68RS

Drives: '68 327 RS, 2010 2SS/RS
As far as additional issues the first couple of years, that may may be the case since this is a new vehicle from the ground up. However, I'm not sure how much teething problems the Camaro will have, or if those will be fairly minor.

I have to agree that I may hold out the first year to see what the engine options are. I know they will offer 2 V8s the first year, but I don't anticipate any particularly special editions offered the first year, although GM may surprise us.

But after seeing the pics, and then seeing cars on the road, I think I may become an instant gratification victom that may not be able to hold out very long.
68RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Waiting until mid 2010 to buy. I was originally worried about kinks, but not anymore....that's what the warranty is for! Got to hold off to pay off the wife mobile.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Only reason I'm holding off is because I don't think I can afford it for about five years or so.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Like Dragon, I'm holding off mainly because of the paying for college issue. I'm also assuming that by waiting, other trims, options, and special editions will become available. That said, I'm a little split on whether first year cars represent a risk of increased defects. I've always been told to never buy a car until they work the bugs out, but it is true that this car is being pretty heavily tested and any problems related to Zeta are probably being worked out on the G8. My mom bought her Ford Escape the first year they were out and hasn't had too many problems, though there are issues cropping up now due to age. If you do decide to wait until the bugs are worked out, the next question to ask is "how long will that take?"
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
I would say that sure I'll wait 1 year or so but I just cant see myself seeing these cars in the dealership and not getting one.I might be able to hold off a couple of months but when the weather starts to get nice out I dont think I could control myself.:5thgenvert:
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
RadarJammer

Drives: 06 Mustang GT
Saving up to get one as soon as they come out.

I will proly have enough saved when its released to buy it cash.

My faith in GM is unwavering. I have complete confidence in their products.
RadarJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
I'll be going after mine as soon as I can

And I can't WAIT!!! Not only will it be the new Camaro...but it will be my first brand new car

I'm all the way

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote