Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
How can I get the max performance value, without losing factory warrantee

I have a new 2014 2SS/RS 1LE. I have a few questions.
1. What kind of performance tweaks can I do while keeping my factory warrantee intact.
2. What are the best value performance enhancements, keeping in mind I would like to use this as Daily Driver
Please put the performance enhancements in order of best value /bang for the buck.

Thanks
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
wessolbuf1

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Not sure about warranty but I know some long tube headers, intake, tune, and a cam should really wake it up.
Delivered 11-12-13
wessolbuf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcynet View Post
1. What kind of performance tweaks can I do while keeping my factory warrantee intact.
2. What are the best value performance enhancements, keeping in mind I would like to use this as Daily Driver
Please put the performance enhancements in order of best value /bang for the buck.

Thanks
There are lots of great info and threads about your topic in the bolton section. But as a rule of thumb chassis mods are safe and some engine mods are okay. But if you tune, supercharge, cam, overbore, turbo, or add nitrous, your motor warranty is toast.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessolbuf1 View Post
Not sure about warranty but I know some long tube headers, intake, tune, and a cam should really wake it up.
The tunes going to void powertran warranty. With headers and intake you MAY be able to get away with out a tune, but its not what many would reccomend, nor is it something i would do myself. The CAM is goign to 100% require a tune. Also, for a DD a cam job is probably a poor suggestion. you'll be trading some power for street mannors.

you could go with SLP SC and maintain a warranty via SLP but its not cheap. probably 10k or so and can be done at any slp approved shop.

I'm interest to see what people post. deff. a thread i'll follow.

But anything that is going to require a tune is out.

I think for the most part you'll get the "you got to pay to play comments"
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
There are lots of great info and threads about your topic in the bolton section. But as a rule of thumb chassis mods are safe and some engine mods are okay. But if you tune, supercharge, cam, overbore, turbo, or add nitrous, your motor warranty is toast.
there are ways to Supercharge and keep a warranty. its a non transfearable warranty from what i've seen.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What about cold air intake and performance chips? Do they mess with the warranty?
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Thanks
Cold Air intake wakes up the LS3 more and for less $$ than most other mods. Long-tube headers would be next best bang-for-buck....

Suspension is damn-near perfect for the car....but if that's something you love to change about your cars...Pedders USA has an enhancement package that will tighten everything up and maximize feel & response for a modest price.

If you like....you can keep your eyes peeled for prices and availability of Z/28-derived performance goodies from Chevy, too.

Quote:
What about cold air intake and performance chips? Do they mess with the warranty?
Cold-air intakes...so long as there's no tune...are generally okay. Unless it's a poorly-designed unit that leans out the engine to the point of damage (to my knowledge, none for sale by vendors on this forum would do that).

Remember: your warranty is in-tact unless the dealer can prove your modification caused vehicle component failure. Most of the time, however - it is very easy for them to prove "you dun it". Recalibrations of any kind are the one automatic-warranty-void: One of the first things GM requires the service tech to check before approving a warranty claim is the ECM...
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Cold Air intake wakes up the LS3 more and for less $$ than most other mods. Long-tube headers would be next best bang-for-buck....

Suspension is damn-near perfect for the car....but if that's something you love to change about your cars...Pedders USA has an enhancement package that will tighten everything up and maximize feel & response for a modest price.

If you like....you can keep your eyes peeled for prices and availability of Z/28-derived performance goodies from Chevy, too.
wyndham...I'd love to hear your opinion on intake and headers with no tune?....

I was under the impression a tune is highly highly reccomended in this case. Wouldnt the headers cause CEL's? but I would love to be educated
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post

I was under the impression a tune is highly highly reccomended in this case. but would love to be educated
I'm no tuner...so take my comments for what they're worth.

It is recommended. But I know a few who have the intake/header combo without a tune with much success. The only real downside...is sometimes bad O2 readings, and therefore trouble codes.

The intake/header combination improves the pumping efficiency of the engine drastically over OE, and leaves some power on the table with regards to tuning to take advantage of this new "breathing efficiency".

If memory serves...it's about right for people to see gains of between 30 and 40 rwhp with intake/headers & no-tune, depending on the products....and in between 50-65 rwhp with the same products and a good tune. Could be off just a little bit.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
all depends on your dealer.
mine said dyno tune. warrantys out. no questions asked
handtune...... revert it to stock when i bring it in then put my tune back on in the bay if i want to, as long as its not there when they have possession.
headers- dont effect. tuning them however with the dyno/hand tuner. is what does.

anything that the engine is in any way taken apart. by by warranty. if they can connect it to the problem they will. most likely.

intake, plugs, wires, exhaust should be 100% fine. ported throttle body, i would assume would be fine. partially because they would never even notice as it looks the same

i would say the BEST thing to make your car faster, find a local professional driving course, and take it for giggles. you might learn something new. even if you are a skilled driver. (not saying your not, obviously i dont know your driving skill)

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
all depends on your dealer.
mine said dyno tune. warrantys out. no questions asked
handtune...... revert it to stock when i bring it in then put my tune back on in the bay if i want to, as long as its not there when they have possession.
headers- dont effect. tuning them however with the dyno/hand tuner. is what does.

anything that the engine is in any way taken apart. by by warranty. if they can connect it to the problem they will. most likely.

intake, plugs, wires, exhaust should be 100% fine. ported throttle body, i would assume would be fine. partially because they would never even notice as it looks the same

i would say the BEST thing to make your car faster, find a local professional driving course, and take it for giggles. you might learn something new. even if you are a skilled driver. (not saying your not, obviously i dont know your driving skill)
how would they ever distinquish between a dyno tune and a hand tune? Its not like it specifies in the ecu. the mailed tunes and stock tunes on handhelds were created on or from dyno results. its just a canned dyno tune mailed or provided to you on a handheld! Really they are all the same, one just hasa reputation of being more precise to your car. you can revert back to a stock tune for both dyno and handheld but the dealer can still see you've previously flashed the ecu. At a dealer level you may get away with this, but its depentant from dealer to dealer. but if you need major repairs and GM needs to approve it, you will most likely be in for a big surprise having any tune, hand, canned/mailed, or dyno.

See if you can get this in writing from your dealer. i'd bet a boat load of money they wont put it in writing. And who's to say that guy you spoke to is around when you need those repairs.

I think most would agree, a tune of any kind voids GM powertrain warranty. There certainly isnt anything that would suggest a hand tuner would keep a warranty valid while a dyno tune would void, or vise versa.

I have nothing against tuning, and will most likely go that route. But when I do, i understand the powertrain warranty is gone.

OP - Basically if you mod for performance, do so knowing your warranty is in jeapordy
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post

I was under the impression a tune is highly highly reccomended in this case. Wouldnt the headers cause CEL's? but I would love to be educated
On my MINI, when I installed a header I had CEL's but installed a module in the rear O2 sensor wiring that told the computer all was well. Maybe there is a similar one that would work on the Camaro? I got it off ebay at the time and I don't think it was vehicle specific. My dealer actually told me about them as an easy fix since the rear O2 sensor is only there to check the cat function and is not used to adjust the engine operating parameters.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Difference is. You can't keep a dyno machine in your glove box and revert your ecu to factory at any time.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
But do the codes reveal that you've tuned it?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote